Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
But what about large fibroids that press on other organs like my bladder for instance? Having an enlarged uterus the size of a four month pregnancy doesn't sound like something that should remain that way? Hopefully this new Dr. will give me a proper diagnosis. The last Dr. was just worried that because of it's size, it might burst and cause hemorrhaging.
Unfortunately, my fibroid required me to have some bladder repair too.

That was actually much harder and worse to recover from than the hysterectomy, but that's another story.

I hope you are able to get your fibroid issue resolved soon and feel better quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
^^ I hope so too, bbekity.

And please remember, many doctors don't have the skill level to deal with fibroids surgically. Especially if your situation is complicated for any reason. If you decide that you want to keep your uterus and aren't completely confident in your local surgeon's skill level, don't be afraid to travel. It's worth every inconvenience to work with a surgeon who has the skill level and experience that you deserve.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 AM

574 posts, read 1,064,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
^^ I hope so too, bbekity.

And please remember, many doctors don't have the skill level to deal with fibroids surgically. Especially if your situation is complicated for any reason. If you decide that you want to keep your uterus and aren't completely confident in your local surgeon's skill level, don't be afraid to travel. It's worth every inconvenience to work with a surgeon who has the skill level and experience that you deserve.

Keep us posted.
Winterbird, If I can't find a skilled surgeon in the Boston area with the world's best hospitals, Dr.'s and research facilities, I am in deep do do.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 AM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
bbekity,

Many long established medical communities often speciailize in only one (sometimes a few) fields of medicine and surgery. For instance, Cleveland, Ohio is known to have some of the best heart surgeons in the world. And many patients travel from abroad to receive exceptional cardiac care at our world-renowned hospital. My encouragement to be unafraid to search outside of your area is applicable if you are unable to find a qualified surgeon.

Best Wishes.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Winterbird, If I can't find a skilled surgeon in the Boston area with the world's best hospitals, Dr.'s and research facilities, I am in deep do do.
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Thank you suzy. Very informative!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Thank you suzy. Very informative!

You're welcome!

Suzy Q

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 AM

One thing I would like to know from those that had an enlarged uterus but were able to just remove the fibroid, did your uterus go back to normal and did the bladder issues cease?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
One thing I would like to know from those that had an enlarged uterus but were able to just remove the fibroid, did your uterus go back to normal and did the bladder issues cease?
Hi bbekity, Did you see the 2nd Dr?

For me right from the start, it was the combination of enlarged uterus (comp to a 12 wk preg) and the fibroids growing in number and size that resulted in my total hysterectomy. I've had my family, so I didn't question keeping the uterus. When I specifically asked, my Dr said the fibroids wouldn't shrink much, if at all, after menopause. I didn't ask if my uterus would shrink, but I was not given any information or reason to think it might/would (shrink). We never discussed leaving it. Form me it was pretty clear from the start that it was a part of the problem and had to go.

YES, it did solve the bladder issues. Also I feel like I can breathe deeper and I can wear pants I hadn't been able to wear. All that stuff took up a lot of room!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Hi bbekity, Did you see the 2nd Dr?

For me right from the start, it was the combination of enlarged uterus (comp to a 12 wk preg) and the fibroids growing in number and size that resulted in my total hysterectomy. I've had my family, so I didn't question keeping the uterus. When I specifically asked, my Dr said the fibroids wouldn't shrink much, if at all, after menopause. I didn't ask if my uterus would shrink, but I was not given any information or reason to think it might/would (shrink). We never discussed leaving it. Form me it was pretty clear from the start that it was a part of the problem and had to go.

YES, it did solve the bladder issues. Also I feel like I can breathe deeper and I can wear pants I hadn't been able to wear. All that stuff took up a lot of room!
Hmmmm. Obviously, I have a lot of questions and intend to grill the 2nd Dr. when I see her. Since I am going through menapause, I am not concerned about leaving the uterus and having more fibroids appear. My present Dr. said fibroids do shrink without the presence of estrogen resulting in menapause which is why she didn't feel the need for surgery yet. Again, I have no bleeding or pain issues. Sometimes it feels like I am going to get my period and the full feeling bladder is of concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness