Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
IMO condoms work just fine and are a much safer option.
My husband and I used condoms because the only hormonal contraception my doctor would prescribe for me was the shot, and I bled nonstop while I was on it, sometimes so heavily that I couldn't leave the house.

Condoms have two major flaws:

1.They can split or tear. We had that happen several times over the four years we were using them as birth control. They were an expensive brand and used correctly, they just didn't work right.

2.Condoms don't apply themselves when you're drunk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband and I used condoms because the only hormonal contraception my doctor would prescribe for me was the shot, and I bled nonstop while I was on it, sometimes so heavily that I couldn't leave the house.

Condoms have two major flaws:

1.They can split or tear. We had that happen several times over the four years we were using them as birth control. They were an expensive brand and used correctly, they just didn't work right.

2.Condoms don't apply themselves when you're drunk
I've never had a condom break on me been using them for over 10 years. We use the lubricated kind JUST incase. I found the unlubricated can "chafe" if ur not totally ready if u know what i mean and thats the only time I felt it could possible break..

As for point number 2.. no argument there lol

Old 11-24-2011, 10:31 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,314,220 times
"I have always liked things to be "au naturel" and I know it's superficial, but I am really afraid of altering hormones, missing my periods, and gaining weight/nausea"

If you are interested in natural methods of bc. Check out resources on natural family planning and fertility awareness. You'll gain valuable information on how your body and fertility works.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've never had a condom break on me been using them for over 10 years. We use the lubricated kind JUST incase. I found the unlubricated can "chafe" if ur not totally ready if u know what i mean and thats the only time I felt it could possible break..

As for point number 2.. no argument there lol
When we had them break, it wasn't a lubrication issue. One time there was nothing left but the ring and a few shreds. We never found the rest. And the other time it split in half. We were using Durex, we'd tried trojans but they felt so thick that neither of us cared for it.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
"I have always liked things to be "au naturel" and I know it's superficial, but I am really afraid of altering hormones, missing my periods, and gaining weight/nausea"

If you are interested in natural methods of bc. Check out resources on natural family planning and fertility awareness. You'll gain valuable information on how your body and fertility works.
That's a good idea, but only for someone who's in a long-term relationship and ready to start a family, when the natural methods fail. I would hope that her partner had the sense to insist on condoms, if he wasn't ready to risk starting a family.

She was talking about taking Plan B if her BC failed, but you can't tell that natural family planning has failed until it's too late for Plan B.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:45 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
...just because she is not experiencing overt / noticeable side effects on Yaz does not mean that those "far fewer hormones" are doing no harm.
She's fully aware of that. Her female gynecologist prescribed this particular brand of b/c pills primarily to help her with PMDD, a more severe form of PMS.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She's fully aware of that. Her female gynecologist prescribed this particular brand of b/c pills primarily to help her with PMDD, a more severe form of PMS.
Of course the gynecologist gave her a prescription.
That's what they do.
I'll just speak generally because i don't know your daughter and who am i to presume.
There are many, many natural / holistic effective approaches to treating the underlying imbalance(s) that create difficult symptoms of PMS or PMDD.
But people are impatient and want quick and easy ways to deal with problematic symptoms and don't want to take the time and energy required when using natural treatments.
If b/c pills and other pharmaceutical approaches created no problems, well then fine.
But pharmaceuticals do create problems (and often very serious ones) and they treat symptoms and do not heal the underlying imbalance and usually create further imbalance(s) despite the fact that they may successfully treat the original symptom(s).
Unfortunately, the "do no harm" principle seems to have been lost to most m.d.'s. when it comes to prescriptions / pharmaceuticals.
There are certainly instances when prescriptions medication is absolutely necessary.
When they're not absolutely necessary (as in life saving), then, imo, they are quite problematic especially with long term use.

Last edited by jaijai; 11-25-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
There are many, many natural / holistic effective approaches to treating the underlying imbalance(s) that create difficult symptoms of PMS or PMDD.
She tried those from age 11 throughout high school.

Quote:
But people are impatient and want quick and easy ways to deal with problematic symptoms and don't want to take the time and energy required when using natural treatments.
There was a lot of time and energy involved, believe me.

Quote:
If b/c pills and other pharmaceutical approaches created no problems, well then fine.
They don't create problems for everyone, as you have mentioned.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the "do no harm" principle seems to have been lost to most m.d.'s. when it comes to prescriptions / pharmaceuticals.
You may be right in some cases. I personally don't believe it's true of this particular gynecologist.

Quote:
There are certainly instances when prescriptions medication is absolutely necessary.When they're not absolutely necessary (as in life saving), then, imo, they are quite problematic especially with long term use.
That's relative. Life saving, to someone who has not experienced what someone else has, is speculative.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Back on track please. Topic is NOT alternative or natural methods.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I am contemplating taking birth control for the first time. I'm 23 and have not yet taken it. Anyways, I went to the obgyn and she suggested Beyaz, I researched however and saw that it had mixed reviews.

I have always liked things to be "au naturel" and I know it's superficial, but I am really afraid of altering hormones, missing my periods, and gaining weight/nausea. I am pretty healthy and really would rather use a condom then risk my body changing over the next several weeks.

Suggestions?

Ladies, if any of you have ever taken Beyaz, please help a sista out. Thanks!
The best birth control method for you is the one you will be most comfortable with.

Millions (probably by now actually billions!) of women have used birth control pills since they came out in the 1960s.

The pill provides a very low risk of pregnancy, and most women do not have serious side effects. Problems like irregular bleeding or spotting and nausea, which are common in the early cycles of use, most often go away within about 3 months.

After that, the vast majority of pill users have regular, light, short periods and frequently no pain. Using the pill decreases the risk of common ovarian cysts that arise from egg follicles.

The menstrual changes are related to the absence of ovulation and the dose of hormones in the pill. Some pills now are designed to produce periods every three months rather than once a month. It is not medically necessary to have a period at all, and with low dose pills it may disappear. This is because the hormones in the pill may make the uterine lining totally inactive.

Long term benefits of using birth control pills include a lower risk of cancer of the uterine lining and a lower risk of ovarian cancer. If there is an increased risk of breast cancer in pill users, it is very small.

More uncommon adverse events, such as heart attacks and strokes, are more common in women who smoke. Healthy, nonsmokers are extremely unlikely to have these problems.

The effects of the pill are reversible. The hormones are cleared from the body quickly when use is discontinued. That is the reason that they must be taken every day and the reason that missing pills increases the risk of getting pregnant.

If your doctor suggested the pill, I suspect that you had a discussion of the risks and benefits based on your personal and family histories. If you are healthy and do not smoke and if you think you will be able to remember to take a pill every day, you could consider a three to four month trial to see how you like them.

I have not used the Beyaz. Back in the dark ages when I did use the BCP, the dose per pill was about four times what it is today. Despite that, it did not take long to get used to it, and the light, short, painless periods were a blessing.

Consider the pros and cons, then make your decision. Remember that you can always stop taking them if you do not like them for any reason.

Also consider whether you should continue to use condoms for protection against sexually transmitted diseases. That again depends on your personal situation.

Plan B contains the same hormones found in many birth control pills but at a higher dose. It can be unpleasant to use due to nausea and it is not meant to be used frequently. It is an effective means to deal with an isolated episode of unprotected sex, including condom failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness