Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times

Advertisements

According to BMI a man 5'10 is overweight once he reaches 180 lbs.

C'mon!! Thats just ridiculous. For one thing, I am that height and at 180 lbs I would be very much on the thin side. I am very overweight now, and I'm not making excuses.

But when I was around 210 lbs I was a 34 inch waist and by no means obese as the charts/BMI say.

Right now I'm currently 260 lbs, but I am a 38 inch waist, and I dont think I need to lose another 90 lbs to be "normal"

Why do they make the weights for BMI/Weight charts so low?

Has anyone else noticed that as we have gotten heavier, the lower the "healthy "weights go?

It just doesn't make sense !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Unless you have broad shoulders and heavy muscle structure, at 5'10 and 180, you are very close to being over weight. I suspect that you are heavy through the upper back and shoulders if you kept a 34 inch weight at 210.

Now you have a 38 inch waist and you weigh 50 pounds more. That four extra inches around your waist is FAT. It's very doubtful if you would be putting on four inches of muscle in the waist area.

These charts are sort of the one size-fits-all things. There are machines that are much more accurate. There is an electric current gently passed through the body and measured by sensors to determine what the ratio of fatty tissue to the more solid muscle. A gym that specializes in body building or weight lifting should have one.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Unless you have broad shoulders and heavy muscle structure, at 5'10 and 180, you are very close to being over weight. I suspect that you are heavy through the upper back and shoulders if you kept a 34 inch weight at 210.

Now you have a 38 inch waist and you weigh 50 pounds more. That four extra inches around your waist is FAT. It's very doubtful if you would be putting on four inches of muscle in the waist area.

These charts are sort of the one size-fits-all things. There are machines that are much more accurate. There is an electric current gently passed through the body and measured by sensors to determine what the ratio of fatty tissue to the more solid muscle. A gym that specializes in body building or weight lifting should have one.
I do have very broad sholders and very heavy (muscular legs)

But 180 lbs is skinny! My dad is 165 lbs and 5'9 (he used to be 5'11) he looks emiciated!

You do realize I'm a man, right??

Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Sure, it wasn't hard to guess you are a man. Your father, at 5'9 is at a good weight health wise. You might think he's skinny, but he's not.

Your weight at 260 is more than the 180 which you once were. Did you put on that much more muscle? If not, you put on fat. How long did it take you to gain that much?

The problem is that it's not just fat just under the skin. You also collect fat around your internal organs. Your heart has to pump blood through all that extra tissue. And your heart hasn't gotten bigger or stronger.

What would you consider your ideal weight? Are you going to try to keep your weight where it is now? The older you get, the harder it is to lose.

But if you are content with your body, that's all that counts.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Sure, it wasn't hard to guess you are a man. Your father, at 5'9 is at a good weight health wise. You might think he's skinny, but he's not.

Your weight at 260 is more than the 180 which you once were. Did you put on that much more muscle? If not, you put on fat. How long did it take you to gain that much?

The problem is that it's not just fat just under the skin. You also collect fat around your internal organs. Your heart has to pump blood through all that extra tissue. And your heart hasn't gotten bigger or stronger.

What would you consider your ideal weight? Are you going to try to keep your weight where it is now? The older you get, the harder it is to lose.

But if you are content with your body, that's all that counts.

Well, he really is too skinny. He looks gaunt and his chest is sunken in. He looks awful. He could stand to gain at least 15 lbs and he would look better.

180 lbs is not overweight for 5'10 man (just 2 inches away from 6 ft tall). I dont see how anyone could think that??

I was never 180 lbs. Well I was in the 7th grade- LOL !!

I have been overweight since I was a little boy about 12 years old. But I have lost weight before and when I got to around 210 lbs I was a 34 inch waist and starting to look pretty close to "normal".

Anyways, I'm 28 and I so far I have lost 40 lbs in 2 years. I dont diet. I just exercise and try to not eat more than 1900-2100 calories. Its very hard some times though. I think my ideal weight is around 190 lbs

I realize I really am way too heavy at 260 lbs- that is obvious. But the BMI says I need to lose 90 more lbs to be healthy, and I really think thats totally inaccurate.

But at 190 lbs I would be very trim yet considerd "overweight" to near obese by the BMI /weight charts

I just dont get it.

This is me at 260 lbs. Do you think I look obese?

Sheesh.

Last edited by vasinger; 08-28-2007 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM

That's why I said that the charts are a one-size-fits all. The charts can't see that one man has broad shoulders and the other has broad hips. and I miss-read your first post. I thought you said you weighed 180 at one time.

I wouldn't say you look obese. Obese to me means the stomach sticks out further than the chest. However, I hate to say it, but you do look overweight. Not obese, but overweight. I agree that you would look super at 190. You have good features. 190 would make the most of them.

You are doing well to lose 40 pounds in one year. That's almost one pound per week. That's a good loss rate. It allows the skin to shrink as the extra fat disappears.

If you can keep up the exercise and the same calorie intake, you should do well. If you find that you are no longer losing, then think about cutting those calories down a little more. Little things, you know like one slice of toast instead of two.... or one slice of bacon instead of two. It wouldn't take much to keep you on track. A hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, little stuff. It's much easier than really trying to diet.

Good luck and keep working at it.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
That's why I said that the charts are a one-size-fits all. The charts can't see that one man has broad shoulders and the other has broad hips. and I miss-read your first post. I thought you said you weighed 180 at one time.

I wouldn't say you look obese. Obese to me means the stomach sticks out further than the chest. However, I hate to say it, but you do look overweight. Not obese, but overweight. I agree that you would look super at 190. You have good features. 190 would make the most of them.

You are doing well to lose 40 pounds in one year. That's almost one pound per week. That's a good loss rate. It allows the skin to shrink as the extra fat disappears.

If you can keep up the exercise and the same calorie intake, you should do well. If you find that you are no longer losing, then think about cutting those calories down a little more. Little things, you know like one slice of toast instead of two.... or one slice of bacon instead of two. It wouldn't take much to keep you on track. A hamburger instead of a cheeseburger, little stuff. It's much easier than really trying to diet.

Good luck and keep working at it.
Oh yes, I do realize I am very much overweight. Its just that according to BMI I am "morbidly" obese. And just looking in the mirror I don't really see that. I guess I have a rare body type?

Most people aren't as broad as I am. Makes me look even fatter.

But yeah, thanks for the advice. I'll keep tryin'

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,296 times
Naw, you don't look obese. You're a nice looking man and intelligent so losing a few should put you into the ooh factor.
I am a woman, but I found eating like a body builder worked for me. Weight Watchers, etc., pushed too many carbs for me. I have high insulin, sugar is only a bit up, but the insulin is the problem. If I don't eat often enough, my insulin causes my blood sugar to go too low.
I cut out the refined carbs, like body builders do. Brown rice, oatmeal, whole grains, but not too much.
Oatmeal, no sugar, and some eggs is a great breakfast for me. Keeps me going all morning.
I had the big salad every day for lunch. Huge, and it kept me going all day. Dark lettuce, like romaine and greens, turkey, chicken, tuna, or salmon, hardboiled eggs, cheese, tomatoes, sometimes some nuts on it. Dressings were usually olive oil and balsamic vinegar, but sometimes, I bought the store French or Blue Cheese.
I ate a lot of Eggbeaters, and used vegetables (like peas, green beans, squash, or broccoli) and cheese for omelets.
Dinner might be 2 chicken breasts or fish and a vegetable or salad.
I found the biggest challenge was keeping things different, a variety,so I didn't get bored. Have to season things and keep it interesting. I even used wine to cook things, but not big on deep frying at all.
I counted my calories, and I hated doing that because I had to stay in a range. It was too easy for me to eat too much.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM

144 posts, read 824,538 times
Overweight? yes. Obese? No. But, there is a fine line between obese and overweight. My sister and I are the same height...there is no way we could ever be the same weight..our body types aren't the same..I have to carry about 20 more lbs than her or I look like a cracked out super model..LOL You can't compare yourself to your father...compare yourself to yourself. Talk to your doctor and get his advice and go from there.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Well I think they should revise the BMI/Weight Charts somewhat because they really don't fit for most people. If you have a very medium or small build then yes. But I am considered obese and I really don't feel like I am. And not just obese- I am considered "morbidly" obese. I have to get down to 200 lbs before I am just considered "overweight". Which in my case, I would be my ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness