Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,819,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Thanks for this. My father has problems that resemble IBS. He hasn't been diagnosed with it, but I suspect whatever it is, some of the things you've done would probably be the best treatment for him.

Problem is, he is convinced that his diet doesn't matter. He's 81. Extremely stubborn and it extremley challenging to deal with him and to modify his diet.

I have one question...why eliminate insoluble fiber? I thought all fiber was good.
All fiber is good, but all fiber is not equal. Insoluble fiber like that found in whole grains is very important for your body's health and shouldn't be simply eliminated. Basically it's 'rough' fiber that helps clean the walls of the digestive tract and helps reduce the risk of cancer. It also aids in weight loss and balancing blood sugar.

However, with IBS the digestive tract is more reactive. Insoluble fiber can cause problems because most of it is not really digested and the digestive tract can get irritated from it (hence irritable bowel syndrome).

Soluble fiber is 'smooth'...if you mix it with water it forms a gel. This helps both with diarrhea because it helps to firm things up and with constipation because it helps to push things through. So no matter what type of IBS you have, it helps to keep things regulated. On the other hand, it isn't as healthy for your whole body...this is the type of fiber found in white flour or potatoes. In some people it causes weight gain and blood sugar issues.

So the trick is not to eliminate insoluble fiber, but to cushion the stomach first with soluble. So for example you eat a big white flour bun before you eat a small white wheat bun. Soluble fiber should form the basis of each meal, with insoluble fiber added in according to the tolerance point of the individual. IBS is very variable and not all individuals have the same triggers.

The best way to see if this diet will help your dad is to have him try a very bland, soluble based diet for a week. White rice, white bread, etc. and plenty of water. Eliminate all possible triggers...fatty food, red meats, insoluble fiber, alcohol, caffeine, and carbonation are all big ones. If it works for him and he's feeling better, he can start adding back in one trigger at a time until he figures out what works for him.

There are also fiber pills and powders sold that can help, but they typically aren't labeled if they are soluble or insoluble. I use Benafiber (I think that's the name). It's pure soluble fiber and can be mixed it with just about anything. It has no taste at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,067,928 times
I can remember being really small and having to go to the bathroom after eating. And it isn't like okay whenever I can get there is fine, it's pretty much find a bathroom in the next 2 minutes or else. I don't think I ever eat out that I don't worry what if this makes me sick. I seem to be getting better as I get older and eating, sleeping, and following the same routine day to day have helped me a LOT. I also do better when I eat a lot of small meals during the day. If I get really hungry and then overwhelm my stomach with food I usually have bad results.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
For me, travel is a huge stresser and used to always set it off, even if I'd been fine for six months previously. The absolute worse was having an IBS flare while actually on a plane and having to run to the bathroom the entire flight. At one point there was a drink cart blocking the aisle on both sides of me and I was seriously contemplating JUMPING over the suckers!
When I have to fly I take Immodium and Xanax an hour before boarding the plane.

The thoughts that run through your head can make you crazy. What if I get diarrhea? What if it's occupied? What if I stink up the plane?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,067,928 times
I know this is an old thread and I replied in the past, but I'm just at my wit's end today with this. I am having an awful flare up right now. I feel like I'm never going to get relief and I'm never going to feel like a normal person. I just want to go out for a meal with friends, or on a date, or travel somewhere without being a nervous wreck wondering if I'm going to feel sick and/or need a bathroom. I've had a lot of anxiety the last few days and I know that makes it a lot worse, but I can't control it. I'm trying to eat soup for lunch but my guts feel so sensitive that I feel like anything I put in it is just going to make things worse. I wish there was a miracle cure.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
My DD takes Humira and it has eliminated most flare-ups. The ones she does get are more minor now.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times
I have celiac disease and IBS - the only thing I have found that has completely normalized by IBS is Align (probiotic) - you can buy it at Costco....finally reliefe from the beast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness