Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not obsessed about this stuff either, but that's a far cry from thinking this is not a problem. It is. In fact, that incident is back in the news.

Bu hey, it's a free country. Have at it.
Back in the news, but just more talk about the same 2009 outbreak. Life is full of risks. Most of us drive or ride in cars. Some people ride motorcycles. Some people smoke. I eat homemade cookie dough.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been telling my kids this for years.

Now with holiday season in full swing I feel like I ought to say it to any of you listening who are tempted to do this.

I used to buy the big bucket of dough so they could make a few cookies whenever they wanted to with their friends.

They were good about not eating it raw, but some of their friends claimed at their house they only ate it raw

Well, now comes the news that a big outbreak of E coli has been blamed on people who ate their cookie dough raw.

If you or someone you care about is doing this, you might want to rethink it.

E coli kills, or can just make you feel so bad you wish you were dead!

Raw Cookie Dough Linked to E. Coli Outbreak - Yahoo! News
Sorry to freak you out yet again, but, I eat it raw all the time

Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sorry to freak you out yet again, but, I eat it raw all the time
Yes, I know, you'll put anything in your mouth Some of us just prefer to be a bit more discriminating and stay as healthy as possible

Isn't it great to be an American?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
I've been telling my kids this for years.

Now with holiday season in full swing I feel like I ought to say it to any of you listening who are tempted to do this.

I used to buy the big bucket of dough so they could make a few cookies whenever they wanted to with their friends.

They were good about not eating it raw, but some of their friends claimed at their house they only ate it raw

Well, now comes the news that a big outbreak of E coli has been blamed on people who ate their cookie dough raw.

If you or someone you care about is doing this, you might want to rethink it.

E coli kills, or can just make you feel so bad you wish you were dead!

Raw Cookie Dough Linked to E. Coli Outbreak - Yahoo! News
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with. The secret is to make your own cookies from scratch using free-range organic eggs, organic butter and other healthy ingredients. I'm quite certain that you won't get E Coli from that!

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
OK, gotta share my recipe with all you raw cookie dough lovers: Get a brownie mix that makes a small pan of brownies, like for an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, but bake it in a 13x9 inch pan. Then make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, using the tiny little chocolate chips and no eggs. Spread that on top of your cooled brownies and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup. No bake cookie brownies are scrumptious. Oh yeah and keep them in the fridge so they stay firm.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK, gotta share my recipe with all you raw cookie dough lovers: Get a brownie mix that makes a small pan of brownies, like for an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, but bake it in a 13x9 inch pan. Then make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, using the tiny little chocolate chips and no eggs. Spread that on top of your cooled brownies and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup. No bake cookie brownies are scrumptious. Oh yeah and keep them in the fridge so they stay firm.
Those sound reallllllly good - thanks!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,144 times
i bake my own cookies so i dont have much to worry about, raw cookie dough is delish

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, you'll put anything in your mouth Some of us just prefer to be a bit more discriminating and stay as healthy as possible

Isn't it great to be an American?
Yup!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with.
That's what has me stumped. We know livestock don't go rampaging through wheat fields, so that's out. If manure were used to fertilize the soil, the bacteria would break down long before harvest. So you gotta figure it's from improper cleaning of the wheat before it's processed, or something that happens in processing, in the grain mill or beyond.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,976,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with. The secret is to make your own cookies from scratch using free-range organic eggs, organic butter and other healthy ingredients. I'm quite certain that you won't get E Coli from that!

20yrsinBranson
Mom always told me it was the salmonella in the raw eggs we had to worry about. She never let me eat raw cookie dough when I was a kid and I still don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.