U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM

220 posts, read 732,088 times

Advertisements

So my backs been hurting so bad lately and I know it's because I have bad posture but how do i fix it? I dont even know how good posture looks. is it chin up chest out? its awkward for me i know this sounds weird but really...how do I go about fixing my posture all the time instead of just when im thinking about it. anything helps!
thanks y'all
Kelsie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,353,993 times
I recently read an article on Pilates or something which said that people who practise it are made to walk around with a book on their head. It actually makes them stand up straight (trying to prevent the book from falling), improve their posture and they actually feel taller . I am going to try this one myself.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 PM

220 posts, read 732,088 times
hmm...sounds like somthing to try thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 6,337,195 times
Also if you can try to see a chiropractor now and again. I've always had back problems but I've been going to my local chiropractor for quite a few years now and he's really helped.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 AM

13,039 posts, read 23,386,295 times
Pilates or the Alexander method seems like what you need. Plenty of books available.

Basically when you stand up your feet should be slightly apart, your shoulders should be level and back and as my deportment teacher use to say , head up, lengthen your neck , chin up but not too much. You should pretend that a puppeteer is pulling you up on a string. It's just to hard to explain on paper. You need to lengthen your body. The curvature of your spine should not be too arched though.

Try walking with a book on your head, then add another couple.
The other thing which will be uncomfortable for you probably at the moment is to put a broom stick behind your back, threading it through both elbows. It forces you to straighten yourself.
Do not do it if it is really uncomfortable or hurts though. Take it slowly and gradually.

Basically do not slouch, you must take firm footsteps but it must feel very fluid.

When sitting make sure your back is always supported. You can buy very cheap lumbar support rolls which helps your back into a healthy position.
Good luck !

Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM

417 posts, read 1,224,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsieB View Post
So my backs been hurting so bad lately and I know it's because I have bad posture but how do i fix it? I dont even know how good posture looks. is it chin up chest out? its awkward for me i know this sounds weird but really...how do I go about fixing my posture all the time instead of just when im thinking about it. anything helps!
thanks y'all
Kelsie
After checking your profile to see that you are female I suggest you think about purchasing a posture bra with back support. There are criss cross panels in the back which give you posture support. No they are not frilly and sexy but they do help. Just something to consider.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,970,590 times
Exercise, do sit ups or something to build muscle to hold the spine in place, get an x-ray first so that your not working a spine with decay. Degenerative I mean.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,384 times
Default Try a new approach

I suggest a new approach. Have you ever seen the posture of people who carry loads on their head? African women are classic examples. They maintain beautiful posture. If they didn't, the incredible weights would do serious damage to their spine.

The mechanism they use is to depress the shoulders and create a spinal lift. They are actually pushing up against the load. Doing this for a period of time with heavy loads, they naturally do it without the loads.

Okay so you don't need to carry water pots on your head, but I do suggest you look at the PostureJac. It promotes the same action. Posture bras or braces are passive in nature. Like casts, they substitute for muscle support and weaken them instead of strengthening. The PostureJac is an active support device that teaches you this mechanism and makes those muscles stronger.

The long term benefits of correct posture to your health are enormous. It improves organ functions as well as prevents aches and pains that you are feeling and improves appearance. Most pain has its origins in excess curvature. Forward head posture is a big factor. Because your head weighs about the same as a bowling ball, it changes your center of gravity as it moves forward. The rest of the spine has to compensate to keep you from falling forward. More height loss is due to excess curvature than disk compression.

Check it out at [url]www.posturejac.com[/url] . Go to the "How it Works" page to see the mechanism that African women carrying water pots are using to keep themselves erect.

Last edited by ayjay; 07-07-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Clean up the url address

Old 07-07-2008, 10:20 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,901,002 times
I had poor posture all my life, until I took up yoga at the age of 45. Now I stand up straight, effortlessly, because the core muscles have all been strengthened and trained to hold my spine erect.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,736,007 times
If you go to the gym, try lat pulldowns and/or rowing machines. I'm a sloucher from way back, and doing those exercises help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness