Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 PM

27,889 posts, read 29,695,346 times

Advertisements

I'm 63 years old and just got my first sty -- a Christmas present. Nice huh? Anyway, the area right below my eye was very tender Christmas night (Sunday), and the next morning I could just barely see the beginnings of a sty. It's only been four days, but I'm not exactly the epitome of patience. It feels like it's been four weeks. It hurts and it's as ugly as hell.

I've tried looking up information online but there's so much variance in what I'm reading. Some sites say a sty should clear up in about 4 days; other sites say 2 weeks. I called my opthamologist's office, but he was out of town and his receptionist said he'd probably just tell me to hotpack it, which is what I've been doing already (several times a day).

My question -- for anybody who has actually had a sty -- is how long did it take yours to show signs of improvement and how long did it take for it to completely clear up? Did you do anything for it besides apply hotpacks? Isn't there an antibiotic for this kind of infection? What about having it professionally lanced? Did anybody here try that?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,861,586 times
It's usually a few days for me until it clears up. I usually put a very, very warm tea bag on my eye. I do this process over and over. Not sure what you're using now, but try a tea bag, it really helps me. Good luck!!!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,373,496 times
I had one a few years back. I was living abroad at the time so finding a doc was a hassle....anyway, I self treated with really hot water and a washcloth. It took about three days to resolve.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,595,574 times
You can buy OTC ointment (for styes) just about anywhere: Wat-Mart, drug store, etc. Works well and should clear it up in a few days. No stye is ever lanced. Another type of boil, maybe. My son got an infected pore on his top eyelid and had to have it lanced and stitched.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
It's usually a few days for me until it clears up. I usually put a very, very warm tea bag on my eye. I do this process over and over. Not sure what you're using now, but try a tea bag, it really helps me. Good luck!!!
I saw something else about using a tea bag. Any particular kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can buy OTC ointment (for styes) just about anywhere: Wat-Mart, drug store, etc. Works well and should clear it up in a few days.
Ointment specifically for stys? My husband picked up some sterile lubricant ointment at the suggestion of the Walgreen's pharmacist, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually contain any medicine.

Quote:
No stye is ever lanced. Another type of boil, maybe. My son got an infected pore on his top eyelid and had to have it lanced and stitched.
That's weird. I've read about having stys lanced, but maybe this isn't a sty after all. Maybe it's a boil of some kind. I just keep thinking that I should see some improvement by now. I'm going to have to look up some pictures of boils on the eyelid to see if mine looks more like that than a sty. What's the difference between a boil and a sty anyway?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,051,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm 63 years old and just got my first sty -- a Christmas present. Nice huh? Anyway, the area right below my eye was very tender Christmas night (Sunday), and the next morning I could just barely see the beginnings of a sty. It's only been four days, but I'm not exactly the epitome of patience. It feels like it's been four weeks. It hurts and it's as ugly as hell.

I've tried looking up information online but there's so much variance in what I'm reading. Some sites say a sty should clear up in about 4 days; other sites say 2 weeks. I called my opthamologist's office, but he was out of town and his receptionist said he'd probably just tell me to hotpack it, which is what I've been doing already (several times a day).

My question -- for anybody who has actually had a sty -- is how long did it take yours to show signs of improvement and how long did it take for it to completely clear up? Did you do anything for it besides apply hotpacks? Isn't there an antibiotic for this kind of infection? What about having it professionally lanced? Did anybody here try that?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Get a warm towel and hold it up against your eye. My sty usually last a day or two using this process.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Get a warm towel and hold it up against your eye. My sty usually last a day or two using this process.
I'm really starting to think I have something more than just a sty. I've been hot-packing it for 4 days no and there's no sign of improvement.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really starting to think I have something more than just a sty. I've been hot-packing it for 4 days no and there's no sign of improvement.
Sounds like it may be time to call your doctor.

You may have the kind of blepharitis that requires an oral antibiotic.

Best of luck, I know this is painful.

Blepharitis, Stye and Chalazion

Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,453,074 times
I've said this before and, in spite of the fact that people always laugh at me, I'll say it again: rub a cat's tail across it. Yes, a cat's tail.

My granny showed me that trick decades ago and it's never failed to make one go away.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM

20,821 posts, read 28,150,930 times
If OTC treatment, warm compress or tea bag does not help call you MD or eye doctor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness