Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
lilypad wrtote:
I am not convinced tap water is hazardous per se, I just don't like the taste and side effects (sore throat). Though there have been reports of dangerous bacteria found in some cities' tap water.
Keep researching and you'll be convinced before this day is over!

rnc76 wrote:
I have a hard time believing that you drink 384 ounces of water/day. That is too much. Have you ever asked a doctor their opinion?
When someone from the AMA reads a post like this they must be laughing all the way to the bank. Do we really need doctors to tell us how much water to drink? No wonder health care costs & health insurance are so expensive. Let us exercise some common sense instead of asking your doctor about water.

I rather doubt that mrdude is really drinking 384 ounces of water/day, but if he is, his body probably has some need for it.

blessings....Franco
Well, a buddy of mine was drinking crazy amounts of water and it turned out he was diabetic and didn't know it. NOBODY, no matter what kind of athlete needs to drink 3 gallons of water per day. If your body is telling you it needs that much, I would see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,332 times
Quote:
According to this MD, most of us don't drink enough water. He goes on to say that many illness have their roots in dehydration. Here's an article that goes into greater detail.

many blessings....Franco
I've heard from this doctor before, Franco. What a great topic! I think I'll give a copy of that article to my husband. Everything I say goes in one ear and out the other!!! Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I usually drink approximately 2 liters of water per day, or approximately 8 8 oz. cups a day. that doesn't include the water I get from food....I eat a lot of fruit. Be careful though, one can overhydrate themselves by drinking too much water, unbalance their electrolytes, and even worse....Jeannie

Woman Dies from Drinking too Much Water
I can't help but laugh, Jeanne! I doubt there are many people who are at risk of dying from TOO MUCH water!!! I suppose that in a discussion ABOUT drinking water, it does bear saying, though. I suppose...

Quote:
lilypad wrote:
Would never drink from the tap, though there is definitely controversy about tap water being no different than filtered. I disagree, on taste and side effects alone, so prefer the filtered or spring water.
I believe that you are very wise in your decision to avoid tap water. All other contaminents aside, FLOURIDE alone is a H-U-G-E reason to avoid the poison commonly known as tap water.

blessings....Franco
I agree. Doing a little research on the dangers of FLOURIDE will keep one from drinking public water, whether through those filters or not...and will make you seriously doubt whether we can trust the powers that be to make right decisions on our behalf!

My personal favorite is distilled water. It is delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
in fluids water and such you need half your body weight in oz. i am 225 lbs, i need 113oz of water. i do my best to drink 128 oz, if i do that i do not need lotion, or any type of oil. my skin is naturally moisterized.
most people do not drink enough.
Good point! For those who don't want to do the math, 128 oz is a gallon and that's a good goal for the day for many people. By the way, that is 16 - 8 oz. glasses of water (who actually uses that size glass?) or 8 - 16 oz bottles of water a day. Of course, if you only weigh 100 lbs and if you're not big into exercise, you can get by on half that. (8 small glasses or 4 bottles of water a day).

I found the following info which might also be helpful:

HOW MUCH IS NEEDED?

On an average day, a healthy adult needs 8 to 12 cups of water to replace the amount lost through perspiration, breathing, urination, and bowel movements. These fluids must be replaced to avoid dehydration and to keep the body working normally. When eating a high fiber diet, extra water is needed to process the additional roughage.

In general, one quart of water is needed daily for every 50 pounds of body weight. The exact amount of water needed depends on: age; gender; weight; health; level of physical activity; foods eaten; any medications taken; and the weather.

Thirst is one sign that you need fluids. Your current fluid intake is probably adequate if you drink enough water to quench your thirst, you feel well, and you produce a normal amount of urine that is colorless or slightly yellow. However, do not wait until you feel thirsty before drinking something. Sometimes the brain doesn’t get the thirst signal. Older adults often lose the ability to sense thirst.

Source: Fluid Needs

More math helps using 8 oz. as the measurement:
There are 2 glasses in a pint, 4 glasses in a quart and 8 glasses in a half gallon so if you just want to fill a container at the start of a day, you can forget about measuring it as you go along.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I tend to drink about 3 to 4 litres in summer and about 2 in winter. I actually love water, it's one of my favourite beverage though I have my favourite mineral waters ( Yes I can actually taste the difference and can name which one is which). Some tap water is OK but a lot of it tastes quite chloriny. I do notice that if for some reason I drink less I get headaches and feel generally unwell.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 AM

144 posts, read 824,658 times
There is a danger of over drinking water, but you'd have to drink a LARGE amount in a very small time frame. Remember that lady that did this water drinking contest for a radio station and died?

I drink 6-8 32oz bottles of water a day. I feel so much better since I've been doing this..my skin is in fantastic shape..no more lotion for me and I don't get headaches and I"m not snacking all day.

If the poster says they drink 3 gallons a day, maybe they do. My 18 yr old dd will drink over 2 gallons a day. She only drinks water, no milk, no juice, and eats a very healthy well balanced diet....yes, all with her dr's knowledge. He told her he'd love to see more ppl eat and drink like her.

I don't drink tap water either....I am in a farming community and don't trust our water sources.

Last edited by Milabs; 09-03-2007 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: spelling..coffee's not done and I'm half asleep :)

Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
rnc76 wrote:
Well, a buddy of mine was drinking crazy amounts of water and it turned out he was diabetic and didn't know it. NOBODY, no matter what kind of athlete needs to drink 3 gallons of water per day. If your body is telling you it needs that much, I would see a doctor.
Based on your comments, I'm guessing that your preferred health care practitioner is a Doctor ( MD ), and it makes sense that you would recommend that your family and friends see a doctor for their health care needs. But others might prefer to see a Naturaopth, or a Homeopath, or another alternative health care practitioner instead of an MD. I made my comments, hoping that people will begin to look beyond the AMA brainwashing, which implys that MDs have a monopoly on health care. I would venture a guess that medical training includes very little time discussing the health values of water and thus an MD is probably not the best person to seek advice on how much water to drink.

best wishes....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-03-2007 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
rnc76 wrote:
Based on your comments, I'm guessing that your preferred health care practitioner is a Doctor ( MD ), and it makes sense that you would recommend that your family and friends see a doctor for their health care needs. But others might prefer to see a Naturaopth, or a Homeopath, or another alternative health care practitioner instead of an MD. I made my comments, hoping that people will begin to look beyond the AMA brainwashing, which implys that MDs have a monopoly on health care. I would venture a guess that medical training includes very little time discussing the health values of water and thus an MD is probably not the best person to seek advice on how much water to drink.

best wishes....Franco
Nice sidestep. My point wasn't who someone should see concerning their personal health issues. My point was that excessive thirst can be a sympton of a very serious disease. Who you see about your own healthcare is your perogative. But yes, if a friend or family member thinks they might be diabetic, I would like them to see a doctor. Diabetes is not something to mess around with, I would prefer to go with proven treatments.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Well i DO drink Tap water and yes i know about the traces of Chlorine and Flouride and that bothers me but i'm even more concerned about Bottled Water and the plastic container(s) that house them and how these reports are coming out that the Petroleum compounds in them are leaching out into the water i.e. Benzene and Polyurethane and there is no way for the body or liver to get rid of these except maybe by chemical chelation (EDTA).

As for the Flouride in water i take Sea Salt to add Iodine and for the Chlorine i take Probiotics but again i'm very unsure about the Petrochemicals used to make plastics so i'll continue to drink Tap although not crazy about it.

I do not show signs of Flouride toxicity which is Hypothyroidism and/or Brittle Bones but i guess in time we shall see.....

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
6 FOOT 3 - why not use a pur water filter or some Brita or something?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM

6 Foot 3

Here in Grand Junction there is a store called the Vitamin Cottage where we do most of our grocery shopping. They have a water filtration unit that runs the water thru 5 or 6 different levels ( I won't even pretend to know what the various levels are ) of purification. The cost is a very reasonable 25 cents a gallon. On a weekly basis, we fill up three 5 gallon containers made out of the very hard plastic that ( supposedly ) doesn't leach into the H2O. The biggets chore is handling the 5 gallon containers when they are full of water. I think they weigh somewhere around 40 lbs when full. It's all part of my workout!

regards...Franco

Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Default I apologize!

rnc76 wrote:
Nice sidestep. My point wasn't who someone should see concerning their personal health issues. My point was that excessive thirst can be a sympton of a very serious disease. Who you see about your own healthcare is your perogative. But yes, if a friend or family member thinks they might be diabetic, I would like them to see a doctor. Diabetes is not something to mess around with, I would prefer to go with proven treatments.
Sorry I missed your point. Sometimes I get caugt up in my frustration with the AMA, and completely miss another valid point that someone is making. Thanks for caring enough to set me straight. I hope you will be gracious enough to accept my apology.

best wishes...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness