Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times

Advertisements

Well, my childhood may have a lot to do with this. Living in a Manhattan apartment where we went from BLASTING heat to NO HEAT at all, has to have something to do with it. When we had heat, it was so hot in the apartment that in the middle of winter we had to wear shorts inside the apartment, and then bundle up in winter clothes to go outside. My Mom opened the windows because it was so HOT inside to the point where the SNOW would come inside. It was really HORRIBLE. That may be a part of my aversion to wearing summer clothes. I actually LIKE wearing a lot of clothes. I always preferred the NO HEAT to the BLASTING HEAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
No offense, but this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen on City-Data...

It's probably due to poorer circulation..
Well, Duh!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM

22,821 posts, read 6,431,335 times
I have seen "old" people bundled up in the middle of summer and going out without a jacket or
coat in the winter. I don't know if that's why pneumonia is so common in the elderly or not, but
apparently their bodies aren't reacting "normally" to weather extremes.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
I certainly invite you to come live in swfl. We frequently hit triple digits for months on end before lunch Time with 100% humidity. You are more than Welcome to attempt to do all the things you do in your cold environment place of residence and see how well you tolerate it. Then as I walk past ur heat exhausted dehydrated body I'll be sure to ask WHAT is WRONG with you that you just can't tolerate that kind of temp that I am used to and have adapted to.. I mean the nerve !

That being said I am one who is always cold. I'm skinny I suppose , young (29) and constantly freezing . I also have several heart problems and low blood pressure problems. I don't think up you factored those kinds of things into ur post huh? Oh also and besides a one year stint in new Hampshire (which was when I was 25 and happened to be the first time I'd ever seen snow) I've only know pn tropical type weather so what's cold for me low 70s and what is normally our "winter" weather is more like ur Summer weather

Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Jo, Summer SAD has nothing to do with how hot you feel. You need to read up on it. In fact, get to a darn doctor instead of telling people you are allergic to summer. And you won't be taking a pill for hyperthyroid. They'll have to zap it. My father hated Florida weather until they did that for him. Now he loves it.

By the way, I lived in SWFlorida for 10 years.

Sweetbottoms, I was young and thin and always cold, had low blood pressure, too. That will change. I was thin until I reached my late 40s. It takes awhile for the thyroid symptoms to REALLY kick in.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
Your metabolism slows as you age. The fire goes out.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Default I've been to 3 different doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Jo, Summer SAD has nothing to do with how hot you feel. You need to read up on it. In fact, get to a darn doctor instead of telling people you are allergic to summer. And you won't be taking a pill for hyperthyroid. They'll have to zap it. My father hated Florida weather until they did that for him. Now he loves it.

By the way, I lived in SWFlorida for 10 years.

Sweetbottoms, I was young and thin and always cold, had low blood pressure, too. That will change. I was thin until I reached my late 40s. It takes awhile for the thyroid symptoms to REALLY kick in.
The dermatologist did a skin biopsy. She said it was "contact dermatitis". Something coming into contact with my skin is causing an allergic reaction. HEAT cannot be coming in contact with my skin and cause a reaction? Ever hear of prickly heat?

Excuse me but this has nothing to with my dislike of summer, and my discomfort with heat. These hives are not a figment of my imagination, personal preference, or hyperthyroidism. NONE of the doctors I went to mentioned that. They all said it was an allergic SKIN reaction.

Are you trying to say that if you stay the same weight even after you get old, you must have thyroid problems????? I weigh the same now as I did when I was 20. So did my Dad, Grandfather, Aunt, etc. I guess thyroid problems must run in my family, since none of them ever gained weight when they got old. Oh, people told me all the time when I young that I would put on weight when I got married, when I had children, when I went through meonpause. Sorry, it never happened and all the people, mostly women, just shrugged and then said, "Well, maybe not always."

My husband has hypothyroidism. How did they find that out? He had high blood pressure and was gaining weight. This is when they tested his thyroid. My BP is 120 over 80. Every doctor, and nurse, has said that is NORMAL, not low. Yes, I am thin, but petite, and my weight is steady over 40 years. No doctor has ever suggested that I need my thyroid checked.

There is a PILL to "cure" everything? Too many Americans think that today.

Last edited by Jo48; 02-13-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,477 times
i dont know what you consider old but i know i like the cold and do not like the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness