Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:51 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

I'm a light-weight with pain medication. If I was not, I could take more and probably not be in pain. lol

I'm originally from North Jersey, live down by Deptford now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 PM

31 posts, read 124,709 times
I also have have a herniated disc (L4-L5). I injured my back in my early twenties lifting the wrong way. I've done the physical therapy, taken just about every possible anti-inflamatory, and pain medication known to man with no avail. Finally after 17+ years dealing with this, about 2 years ago I started receiving epidural injections in my back. Fortunately it's something that works great for me, I can now resume the active lifestyle I used to have. I run 20 miles a week, and my back feels great. Before I started these treatments, I could barely move at all. It was very frustrating not being able to do even the simplest of things. I wouldn't wish back pain on my worst of enemies, it's a horrible thing to have to live with. Good luck to you, hope you find relief from the pain.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,616 times
Default Help... need advice

My friend is 37 years old. Unfourtuanty she was born with an abnormalty an had to have a fusion on C5 and C6. It has been three years since that surgery and her arms are going numb again. She went back to her neurosurgion and he told her she had to have the same surgery on C-4-5-6-7. Now i know there is other options there such as the Dynesys System. So why isn't her doctor telling her about these options. Also, can anyone give me advice on other treatments for her? I cannot let her go through another surgery. Please help!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
I just got my MRI results back and found out I have a severely herniated disc and I'm going to need surgery. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the same thing. What can I expect after surgery? Is there anything I need to know that I might not be thinking about? I know nothing about all this, just that my disc is herniated and I need surgery. Will I have to sleep on my stomach after surgery? What's the recovery time?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
I had back surgery in May for two herniated disks along with a spinal fusion. I was walking in the hospital the next day and by the end of two weeks I was walking about a mile and I stopped taking pain pills, because the pain had gone.

Don't be one of those people that won't take pain pills because you may get addicted. I honestly don't even remember that operation at this point and the pain I was in which wasn't that bad. Yes, I know I had the operation but it's not that big of a deal. You are out when you are being operated on, you take pain pills until the pain goes away and then, you go on with your life.

I slept the normal way I sleep, so that wasn't an issue. I think the biggest problem people have is thinking too much about the surgery, both before and after. The more you focus on the operation the more you are thinking needlessly. Of course anything can happen, but you have no control over that.

I have had many operations, all successful and helpful, so I have a perspective from experience.

Seriously, worrying doesn't ever help. I like a quote from Mark Twain... " I have had many problems in my life, most of which have never happened."

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
My 81 year old Mother is due to have her disc shaved.......she has had injections in her back steroidal and anaesthetic, pretty much didn't work for any time.....she's going for the surgery next week.........will let you all know how it goes.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 957 times
OMG your all scaring the **** out of me!! I have a burn spur in my neck diagnosed by my chiropractor who if not for him I would not be able to drive or live a subnormal life. He has referred me to a neurosurgeon because we have plateaued in my healing profession. I've been out of work since 9/15/14. I can't afford to lose my job and I'm a out of FML. I was hoping this possible surgery would be an easy procedure and I would be back to normal in no time and back to work within a week or two after surgery. Others have had knee operations and such and are back to work (desk job... Computer work). Now I'm scared after reading such horror stories (here and other sites). I have had the injections and they did not help me.
I thought this surgery would be the all cure, but now after reading I'm freaking out.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,018 times
Mfern - why are you out of work? Are you having myelopathy because of the bone spurs, or just that painful? Have they done an MRI? They won't do surgery without it. I just had a 3 level fusion with corpectomy, and the surgery wasn't all that painful. I am still weak though, but I had moderate myelopathy before hand, and there is no guarantee I will get everything back (but my surgeon is hopeful).
There are a lot of factors that play into it - how old are you? healthy otherwise? smoker? Myelopathy signs?
Originally - my doc told me I'll have 6 weeks off, but might go back at 4 weeks (that would be tomorrow. No way will that happen). In the hospital post op, he said maybe even 2 for just desk work. I think he expected me to bounce back better, because I'm younger (43) and in great shape otherwise. But, everyone does differently.
The other thing is - get a second opinion. I actually left the hospital (I was checked in thru emergency because I couldn't walk well) with doc #1 to get doc #2's opinion, and so glad I did. Surgery is really a last resort under most circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness