Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 PM

417 posts, read 433,053 times

Advertisements

hi people

i have had a symptom of faiting after an intense bout of laughter (i told a doctor, he said don't laugh too hard!!)...I ignored it at first...however, it seems to have gotten a it worse over time...I have had dizzy spells and almost faint due to caughing, yawning/stretching or waling fast, thinking intensely etc...
i usually get completey OK right after I get back from the very brief dizzy spell...however when I laugh hard, I often just lose my consciousness and fall to the floor...or regain consciousness while falling and manage to grab hold of something while I may think IM passing out. So it hasn't led to any serious situation.
However, I felt dizzy standing at work for several hours and also had some intense spells laughing recently where I almost 'forgot' everything...whwere I was who was with me or what had just been happening ( my laughter situation with husband etc) and I regain it all very quickly...
also i caughed once pretty badly during a bout of sickness-caugh/cold/flu and got dizzy behind the wheels...it was an involuntary caugh and i got better on the caugh...butI got worried about the dzzy spell.

I researched laugher syncope and found some little information...
I would be open to seeing a good neurologist...I would be glad to receive any recomemndations in the north charleston and nearby areas

However, part of me thinks that not much is know about this condition and I don'tw ant to let doctors run me around trying several tests without a clea plan of diagnosis or treatment

open to ideas, input, recommendations and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Firstly, that doctor is a nincompoop. You need a doctor who will take your symptoms seriously. Neurologist or cardiologist would be my best guesses as to whom to see. Some of your symptoms sound a bit like cataplexy, but loss of consciousness and dizziness sound like a potential cardiac issue. Cough syncope is a possibility. This page gives a good list of diagnostic exams and procedures.

It sounds very scary, whether it's actually a serious problem or not. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Pseudo-Bulbar syndrome causes uncontrollable laughter. That's for a neurologist to determine.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-02-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Thank you...I failed to mention....I did ask for an ECG and a treadmill stress test for cardiac issues and those came out as normal (although it cost a lot of money!)

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM

I did not do a halter test...my insurance back then wasnt the greatest...I have a better one now...I would want recomemndations for a good cardiologist or neurologist in the North Charleston-Sumemrville-Lason-GooseCreek-Moncks Corner areas.
I had a couple of mild spells just while sitting and talking with my family (especially when a conversation got a bit stressful).
Also yesterday morning as soon as I awoke and simply yawned and stretched, I passed out while lying in bed and got on my side. Blacked out due to the yawning and stretch. This happened earlier too on one or more occasions.
Once or twice I got dizzy on the toilet and several times while walking around or thinking too hard.
I'm remembering to breathe deeply and do excercise and stay calm.
I just need some input on which way to go. The doctor I went to asked me to do ECG and treadmill test. All came out normal last year around Jan 2013. Another doctor I went to did ECG again in December last year 2013. Normal.
I want to find a good doctor who could suggest a cardiologist or neurologist. I'm not sure which is the problem area.
My husband thinks it is a vagal nerve irritation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness