Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM

79 posts, read 347,125 times

Advertisements

We went to the eye doctor last week to get new glasses for hubby and he got a prescription for progressive trifocal. We ordered the glasses from them and now I would like to get 3 separate single vision glasses for him for the 3 different vision problems (distance, monitor, reading). Can I ask the doctor to provide me with the three separate single vision glasses prescriptions without a new eye exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM

79 posts, read 347,125 times
anybody would know this please?

Can they fax it to me if i ask for it, or maybe mail...??

Actually do they have to send it to me if I ask, or they don't have to???

thank you!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
They will charge you if sent to you. If they send them to the glasses place, probably not.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
There is, in most states, a state law that an optometrist, if you pay for the service of an eye refraction, must supply you with a written prescription. Just phone the office of the last OD that refracted your eyes, and tell his office that you want written Rx for each relevant distance, and if he doesn't comply, contact your state board that regulates optometry.

However, keep in mind that the OD will refuse to provide you with a Rx that is more than a year out of date, and eyeglasses shops will refuse to make a lens from an Rx more than a year old, even to replace a broke one. They say it is against the law, but it's not.

If your Rx is out of date, just order them on line from a place like zennioptical.com. They're in China, what do they care?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Why don't you call them and ask???

If you already put the order in for the one pair of trifocals, understand that you will have to pay for those glasses as well as the three you do want.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:53 PM

240 posts, read 586,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butacska View Post
We went to the eye doctor last week to get new glasses for hubby and he got a prescription for progressive trifocal. We ordered the glasses from them and now I would like to get 3 separate single vision glasses for him for the 3 different vision problems (distance, monitor, reading). Can I ask the doctor to provide me with the three separate single vision glasses prescriptions without a new eye exam?
This was the problem I originally had when I got lined bifocals. They didn't cover every distance. I couldn't see a computer at all. About 20 - 30 inches is what I can't see with lined bifocals.

If you get progressives you don't need all those glasses although it will take a little while to get used to where you need look through for example to see a computer, read a book or see distance. Progressives will cover all these situations.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
This was the problem I originally had when I got lined bifocals. They didn't cover every distance. I couldn't see a computer at all. About 20 - 30 inches is what I can't see with lined bifocals.

If you get progressives you don't need all those glasses although it will take a little while to get used to where you need look through for example to see a computer, read a book or see distance. Progressives will cover all these situations.
I have progressives, and I still have trouble using them with my computer.

I would just have him get used to the progressives and only request a pair of computer glasses or just see if he can buy store-bought readers that work with the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness