Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times

Advertisements

Also, where is he in all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
referred us to dermatologist
went to see him and he took biopsy sample which confirmed hives--
but he said it was too difficult to determine what was causing the reaction...
did not seem to interested in trying to rule out possible choices--
like new blood pressure medication my husband started in June...
but gave him RX for heavy dose of antihistimine to take when there was outbreak...
You want a certified dermatologist; not someone saying they are one. Where I am; there are places that call themselves dermatologists but some are not board certified. Apparently being a skin Dr is the new money maker.

You want them to take a biopsy from a few sites to make sure it is or is not the same thing. My hubs nightmare started like this; we thought he had flea bites then they traveled & he started breaking out on various places- ankles; back; forehead. He eventually went to a derm that biopsied & it came back discoid lupus. A few months after that he had a lymph node in his neck that pretty much stayed pea sized; then one day grew huge & it was stage 4 oral cancer. Cancer happens when the immune system is not in the best of shape & what your hub is going through could be the start of something bigger.

You need to get answers. Even if its medication; you need to figure out which one & get him off of it. There are so many meds out there that he shouldn't have to suffer a side effect like this.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
I think that ruling out the medications is the first thing to do and it seems that it should be done sooner than later.
If it is one of his medications, this kind of side effect seems to me to be a strong signal that his body is saying no to it.
All medications have side effects but they are not necessarily overt / obvious.
An intense and ongoing skin issue is an obvious one.
And the skin is an organ and one of it's functions is detoxification.
As imcurious asked, why are you not ruling out the meds first.
It seems to be the most obvious "culprit".

Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,216 times
i agree with others and feel the meds aren't doing any good.

i'd be looking for a OMD, an Oriental Medical Doctor for acupuncture and herbs.
when modern, western medicine cannot/will not explain/successfully
treat a condition, go eastern. they approach from a different perspective
and often can get a positive result.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 19,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband has been suffering from what has been diagnosed as hives--urticaria since July...
He is 63 now and previously when he was in his early 30s he would get rashes on his body that were probably related to stress--since they mainly appeared on Sundays...and would resolve themselves within 24 hrs--
they were mainly on his trunk/back...they went away after a while and never really came back until this summer

In July he had several episodes--in different parts of his body--
ball of one foot, inside thigh, his top lip, other thigh...
we went to doc-in-box twice, his family doctor, the local ER twice--
we got variety of diagnosis--
when they were on his inner thigh one dr said it was cellulitis and gave him steroid shot and antibiotics
when he got upper lip swollen--different doctor said that was reaction to medication/antibiotic and to stop taking it

the last doctor we saw--in ER--for swelling on his leg said that it was hives--not cellulitis--and referred us to dermatologist
went to see him and he took biopsy sample which confirmed hives--
but he said it was too difficult to determine what was causing the reaction...
did not seem to interested in trying to rule out possible choices--
like new blood pressure medication my husband started in June...
but gave him RX for heavy dose of antihistimine to take when there was outbreak...

He mentioned this when he saw his family dr for 6 mo checkup last month--
his doctor said that his own wife had chronic hives and it was just something that you dealt with as it appeared...

well this week my husband has had a really bad session--
heavy hives on both inner thighs and around back of leg, on ball of one foot, and last night his top lip on left side started to swell and moved across to other side --

the antihistimine he can take only once a day since it is so strong...
he took photos of his lip/face when they were full blown and sent to his doctor's email/office address
saying he wants to investigate the cause--

he is pretty sure it is one or more of the medications he takes for high blood pressure...ACE inhibitors seem to be prone to cause this reaction

does anyone else have this problem and/or can you suggest any remedy?
Hi, I have suffered from Cold Urticaria for 15 years. I found a cure, but has side affects. The drug I started on 8 years ago for insomnia is called Seroquel. It is originally meant for psychotic patients to calm them down, but for those that are not mentally ill, it acts as a great sleep aid. The side affects are that you develop a fatty liver and gain weight. But for 8 years I was on it, I had not one outbreak of hives. Well I recently went off the seroquel to help my liver and within 3 days my hives were back worse than ever. If we could find a dr that can figure out what is in seroquel that helps this condition and create a new drug without those side affects we could all benefit!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Possible allergy/intolerance???

I took Glucosamine/Chondroitin for a while. Did not do anything for my joints, but it sure made my face break out into rashes.
It's made from shellfish. Do you have a shellfish allergy?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I've been experiencing something like this for the past few weeks. I've -never- had any allergies that showed up on the skin (I get hayfever every few years but even then it's not all that bad). Out of nowhere, I started itching. I looked down at my arm and it had -welts- on it. It looked as though my arm had been scratched by a thornbush, except there was no blood. Just long, straight, red welts. I looked at my other arm, there were some splotches as well. It stung/itched - not quite itch, not quite hurt. Something inbetween.

Ten minutes later, they were gone. An hour later, they popped up somewhere else on my arm, and I felt it on my back. Ten minutes after that, gone. It's been almost daily, for the past 3 weeks, and it comes and goes, might stay away for hours, and pop up again out of nowhere again. Once in awhile it's showing up on my neck.

I have an appointment for a physical next month so I'll have it checked if it's still doing that then. Til then, I'm taking a sip of benadryl at night before bedtime so I don't wake up itching in the middle of the night.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
A friend of mine has a child who is going through the same. Started after being on medication. Has been to every type of doc, had lots of testing done.

What she found that when her child was taking a daily antihistamine, he would not break out in the hives. So the question became what is producing the histamine in his body that is causing the uticaria?

Someone suggested that he might have an over-growth of yeast in his intestinal tract. She put him on a probiotic and he had no hives for two days (while not being on his antihistamine). He apparently did break out in one or two after the 2 days of being hive-free, but nothing like he used to when he was not on the antihistamine.

The therapy, apparently, for an over-growth of yeast in the intestinal tract is a prescription anti-fungal (yeast is a fungus) and probiotics.

One way to test for an over-growth of yeast is via a stool sample. Easy to have tested and easy to rule it out.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,765,684 times
Keep after your doctor for answers and if he does not want to help get a new doctor! Hives are usually caused by an allergy to something. Since hives can cause swelling in the face and throat your husband probably should have an Epi-pen for emergency treatment. talk to your doctor about it, hives can be serious!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
If he suffered form symtoms from stress and rashes when younger it can appear agin in older gae. my mother in law had the same happen. She would get hives and eve have her lips swell when under stress.Other tha that i would see a special;ist to elminate allergies.I wouldn't just play with medicine he needs yourself.No one on a forum can really advise you unless a professional and even then they would not diagnose and refer you locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness