Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't the FDA require some sort of special labeling similar to that of cigarettes? Is there still not enough evidence out there to prove that, hands down, aspartame causes cancer or other life threatening diseases? I'm just curious how a product that so many people believe undoubtedly is linked to cancer in some way is still allowed to be sold without, at the very least, some sort of warning on the container. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Why doesn't the FDA require some sort of special labeling similar to that of cigarettes? Is there still not enough evidence out there to prove that, hands down, aspartame causes cancer or other life threatening diseases? I'm just curious how a product that so many people believe undoubtedly is linked to cancer in some way is still allowed to be sold without, at the very least, some sort of warning on the container. Any thoughts on this?

Eating too much sugar causes obesity and is unhealthy for diabetics.

So, scientists developed cyclamates in the 60s. When serving lab rats 30,000 servings of the product daily, lab rats developed cancer. The product was banned in the US (but not Canada).

Then sodium saccharine was developed to replace cyclamates. Within a few years, someone fed those rats a lot of saccharine and got the same results.

And we are doing pretty much the same with all of the sweeteners. Each one of them seems to have some risk when consumed in doses THOUSANDS of times more than expected.

Of course, remove those from the market and we are back to sugar again and all the problems that using sugar as a sweetener offers.

So let's put all the warnings on all the products that may at some point allegedly cause cancer or some other illness. That will certainly keep a lot of attorneys occupied for a long time.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Folks, based on the topic this thread is now in Health & Wellness. NO discussions of conspiracies by any person or body of people. ONLY discuss the topic or this thread will be closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Eating too much sugar causes obesity and is unhealthy for diabetics.

So, scientists developed cyclamates in the 60s. When serving lab rats 30,000 servings of the product daily, lab rats developed cancer. The product was banned in the US (but not Canada).

Then sodium saccharine was developed to replace cyclamates. Within a few years, someone fed those rats a lot of saccharine and got the same results.

And we are doing pretty much the same with all of the sweeteners. Each one of them seems to have some risk when consumed in doses THOUSANDS of times more than expected.

Of course, remove those from the market and we are back to sugar again and all the problems that using sugar as a sweetener offers.

So let's put all the warnings on all the products that may at some point allegedly cause cancer or some other illness. That will certainly keep a lot of attorneys occupied for a long time.
Yeah, that was always the problem. If you fed anything 30,000 servings of anything, most would get cancer. All the studies I have read so far involved feeding test mice nearly their body weight in the stuff, when even the ingestion of that much volume of material would be pretty detrimental to any creature. Even a 150 pound person who drank 100 pounds of water in a day (~10 gallons) would probably die due to dilution of electrolytes.

I think people like absolutes, nothing or completely safe because it is easy to remember and understand. It also happened with supplements (like Iron) where a little seemed good to people, so they took more...till they died and mandates limited the quantity in pills. Other food products as well, like Olestra. Eating a bag or two in one sitting causes "leakage", which is also the same thing that happens with regular chips, but it got pulled.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
My own personal experience was that it only took 5 servings a week to make me sick so I now refuse to consume it. If I'm wrong and it's not the aspartame that was making me sick, well, what have I lost? The opportunity to enjoy delicious diet soda?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM

I tend to get headaches if I consume a lot, like 3-4 aspartame products in a day, but it's nothing severe. I would like to know if there are any surefire long-term health concerns with using aspartame though.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
There are lots of surefire long-term health concerns if you ingest large quantities of aspartame. There are also lots of surefire long-term health concerns if you ingest too much of anything, on a regular basis.

YOU personally, however, will have to decide which is more important to you: consuming 3-4 products containing any aspartame in a single day's time, or enjoying a day without a headache.

Aspartame is a single ingredient. It is sold as -part- of all kinds of food-type products, many of which aren't good for you to consume, whether there is any aspartame in it or not (such as cola, for example).

If you would just stop trying to micromanage your ingredients intake, and spend more energy concerning yourself with eating better quality end products, you'd probably have a lot less to worry about, enjoy fewer headaches, feel better mentally and physically, and have less overall stress.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:00 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
My own personal experience was that it only took 5 servings a week to make me sick so I now refuse to consume it. If I'm wrong and it's not the aspartame that was making me sick, well, what have I lost? The opportunity to enjoy delicious diet soda?
Diet Rite has NO aspartame [ALSO no sodium, caffeine,carbs,or calories] I use only Splenda. It has none in it as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Diet Rite has NO aspartame [ALSO no sodium, caffeine,carbs,or calories] I use only Splenda. It has none in it as well.
There are plenty of negative reviews of Splenda as well, but I'll leave that for another thread. Personally, I prefer Splenda as far as artificial sweeteners go. I have bought Diet Rite in the past for this reason. Lately, I've been switching over to Truvia and other Stevia-derived products.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I eat just about any of those artificial sweeteners and I get major gas for about a day. Same thing with sugar alcohols....bleech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness