Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

I just turned 50 (ugh!) and for the past 7 years whenever it is windy outside in the winter the wind catches me in such a way that i feel i am suffocating and losing my breath, and have to either turn around and walk backwards to diffuse the problem(totally ridiculous) or use one of those cloth mouth/nose covers they sell during the winter months. today was the worst i ever had it.

I don't know what to make of it. why did it start when i was 43? i have obstructive sleep apnea, not sure if that has anything to do with it. my doctor recently told me my nasal passages and sinuses are clogged, so maybe the airway is partially obstructed? but for 7 years?

does anyone else have this going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Sometimes when it's veeeery cold and windy out it IS hard to catch your breath...I just pull up my scarf to cover my mouth, and breathe through that......enjoy your 50's rlrl...it's a great decade in life.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM

thanks for the reply. what i was trying to find out was what happened to me at 43 that changed?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
It's normal, I'm 24 and it has been happening to me for MANY years lol

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
thanks for the reply. what i was trying to find out was what happened to me at 43 that changed?
You got older. That's what happened to you. Why are you looking to get actual diagnoses for illnesses that you don't have? I recommend a therapist to discuss your continual need for medical diagnoses whenever you have any kinds of symptoms. I think that should be a priority for you at this point. You're worrying yourself into another illness.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You got older. That's what happened to you. Why are you looking to get actual diagnoses for illnesses that you don't have? I recommend a therapist to discuss your continual need for medical diagnoses whenever you have any kinds of symptoms. I think that should be a priority for you at this point. You're worrying yourself into another illness.
I have to agree with this. You do seem to have a tendency to be a hypochondriac.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, worrying has a way of reducing your immune system, which can snowball into other illnesses. Recommending A therapist? A doctor? Ain't gonna do it! With 5,6,7 opinions, even though the decisions may be identical, that still may not cut it!

Working in a LTC/Rehab facility, don't get me going on this subject!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
My husband and I had a bizarre experience with the cold and wind a few weeks ago. The temperature dropped very low, it was about 7 degrees, which is not normal for where we live. When we went outside it was as if we could feel the fluids in our eyes begin to thicken. Our vision was blurred.

Has anyone else felt that?

It was so weird. We know it's probably because it was so cold, and because we are not used to that sort of cold.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 AM

tj lover--i have worked with the mentally ill in outpatient treatment for over 20 years so i can relate

anyway i started on detox 7 that i got from Walgreens. it's a powder and a tablet you take in the AM and you take another tab in the PM. i have 5 more days to go. i feel better already. i think it's a buildup of yeast (candidiasis) from the antibiotics.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM

523 posts, read 3,804,496 times
Quote:
I just turned 50 (ugh!) and for the past 7 years whenever it is windy outside in the winter the wind catches me in such a way that i feel i am suffocating and losing my breath, and have to either turn around and walk backwards to diffuse the problem(totally ridiculous) or use one of those cloth mouth/nose covers they sell during the winter months. today was the worst i ever had it.
it may be nothing, but what you have described (chest pain and/or breathlessness triggered by walking into the wind, especially in the cold) is not an unheard of presentation of angina - you should probably consider mentioning it to your doctor, if you havent already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness