Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 AM

2,265 posts, read 4,096,331 times

Advertisements

I know how difficult Huntington's is but my advice still stands either ask a member of the staff to clear the restroom and wait outside until you are out or ask to use to staff restroom. If there is truly not either a one stall or family restroom then they are the best possible option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
I actually encountered this many times. I am caretaker of my adult quadraplegic grandson..

Before he had a supra pubic cath I had to do the in/out catheter on him..Most often I would try to get him back to the car to do it, but there were many times it was more urgent..

At those times, I would stand outside the mens door and he went in and politely explained that he needed to be cathed and mamaw had to do it. The men would exit when convenient and I would always ask one to guard the door while we were in there..I never had a prolem with anyone acting offended..

There were a couple times I had to ask the ladies for some privacy..no problem there either..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
My first reaction would be to use the bathroom appropriate for the more able of the two. The matter of concern is the sensitivity of other patrons, and I think they would feel less uncomfortable in the presence of a person that they understood was incapacitated in some way.

If it were me, caring for my mother, I wouldn't take her into the ladies' room, because my presence in there would be more intrusive than her presence in a men's room.

I doubt if very many men would be overly offended by a lady in the men's room, and there is sufficient privacy in there. I also doubt if patrons in the ladies' room would feel offended by a woman taking an incapable man into the room.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times
There's more privacy in the women's restroom, because everything takes place in stalls.

For those ladies who may never have been in the men's room, not all mens rooms are designed to be discreet. You may walk right in, turn the corner, and see weiner. That's a lot more awkward than seeing feet underneath a stall, for both parties involved.

For the OP, you'll probably develop an awareness of which places have the best restrooms for your needs. I was in a wheelchair for a while, and I knew exactly which stores I could use the restroom in easily and which ones I could not. The newer Walmart stores have a family bathroom which is ideal...room to move around and privacy. For places that don't have a good restroom setup, just ask a female employee or even a lady who's coming out of the restroom to see if there are other ladies inside or if the restroom is empty, if they can watch the door for you while you assist your lady. I know I'd have no problem standing there and guarding the door for you, I think most ladies would be willing.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
i agree with hedgehog. the ladies' restroom allows for a lot more privacy since the stalls are separated and no one can actually see anyone's parts. i would just announce politely, while entering, 'excuse me i am with my caretaker and just need to use the restroom--no harm meant. we will go into the stall and no one will see anything.'

Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Family restroom....please.....if there is one.

Taking a p**s the other day at Walmart....in walks daddy with his seven year old daughter.....WTF!!!!
the point of this thread is to address when there isn't a family/unisex bathroom available.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM

22,567 posts, read 24,365,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
the point of this thread is to address when there isn't a family/unisex bathroom available.

Sorry.............keep little kids out of the MENS room.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,602,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
If you have the responsibility of assisting a disabled adult, who's of the opposite sex than you, and all that is available is a public men's or women's restroom. which one do you opt to use?
It is proper to use the bathroom gender that is the assisted persons gender.

Can you imagine the stress it would cause to take your mom or your dad into the wrong gender bathroom! On my! I don't even want to deal with that!!

Other people will understand once they see an older or handicapped person getting assisted by another adult.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 484 times
well, you are not going to the bathroom to get naked or whatever. if somebody is handicapped or have a kid that needs to use the bathroom (and there is no family room), we should have the decency to accept /help with that. put yourself in their situation.. What a handicapped person can do to you (even if he is a male). come on.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:11 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,768,338 times
I was leaning a bit more towards whatever the gender is of the person you're assisting, but do what's logically easier all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness