Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM

56 posts, read 103,415 times

Advertisements

I recently used some Afrin because my nose was stuffed up but the day after I used it my mucus was yellow (and sometimes had a tiny bit of blood in it). This seems like a sign of Sinusitis (which I have had before) but what I don't get is how could a nasal spray cause an infection?

P.S. - Before using the spray my mucus was clear so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM

20,812 posts, read 28,136,000 times
Hmm I use nasal spray myself but my nose has to be really plugged up to use it. I used to be addicted to afrin. I found this on the web and apparently You cannot get an infection from nasal spray.Nasal Spray & Sinus Infection | eHow.com. How ever my doctor told be that prolonged use of afrin can damage your nasal passages and make them more irritated. I think using afrin occasionally can't hurt you.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Afrin is not something you want to use for long. Get yourself a saline spray which is much safer for long term use. As far as I've always been told, yellow is nothing to be concerned with; its when its brown or green that you may have an infection.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
Depends on what you had the last time you used the nasal spray and did you clean the bottle after using? Or anyone else who used it had an infection? Also, as mentioned Afrin is quite irritating to the nasal passages.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM

20,812 posts, read 28,136,000 times
get the neti pot Neti Pots I have it and it works great. my pot is plastic. It really cleans the gunk out of your nose. Good to use after sinus surgery too.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 41,435 times
Maybe your nose was stuffed up enough that mucus was trapped up there. When you used the spray it reduced the passages allowing the dried out mucus to come out.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
get the neti pot Neti Pots I have it and it works great. my pot is plastic. It really cleans the gunk out of your nose. Good to use after sinus surgery too.
Now see my dr had the total opposite opinion , he said that the neti pot that is plastic you cannot sterilize properly so you should not use the plastic one you should use a ceramic one cause those can be sterilized , But yeah you need to clean the applicator for the nasal spray , and dont use it alot .

Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM

56 posts, read 103,415 times
After reading the replies here and doing a little digging (by which I mean research not in my nose) I think I may have what is known as "rebound congestion". I'm going to drop the Afrin and try a saline spray as suggested.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
After reading the replies here and doing a little digging (by which I mean research not in my nose) I think I may have what is known as "rebound congestion". I'm going to drop the Afrin and try a saline spray as suggested.
Take a shower; the steam will help. If you don't want to get in that's fine too; just sit in the steam for 10-20 mins.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,379,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
I recently used some Afrin because my nose was stuffed up but the day after I used it my mucus was yellow (and sometimes had a tiny bit of blood in it). This seems like a sign of Sinusitis (which I have had before) but what I don't get is how could a nasal spray cause an infection?

P.S. - Before using the spray my mucus was clear so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence.
I would use Mucinex instead.
Also with the steam shower you can buy saline nose spray you can use that at the end of your shower and it should help almost instantly to start things to drain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness