U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM

29,158 posts, read 51,400,667 times

Advertisements

A spoonful of sugar might make the medicine go down. But it also makes blood pressure and cholesterol go up, along with your risk for liver failure, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Sugar and other sweeteners are, in fact, so toxic to the human body that they should be regulated as strictly as alcohol by governments worldwide, according to a commentary in the current issue of the journal Nature by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say - Yahoo! News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM

6,049 posts, read 11,017,759 times
Very interesting article, thanks for the link. Seems we're not meant to consume huge quantities of pure sugar without suffering some serious and harmful consequences.

I read an interesting book about this some time back called Sugar Blues by William Dufty...it's a fascinating book as it traces the history of sugar in our culture and diets and where it's lead...which is to where are today...with fatty livers, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and rampant obesity...

Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,744,523 times
And chronic diseases related to diet such as heart diseases, diabetes and some cancers — for the first time in human history — kill more people than infectious diseases, according to the United Nations.

We eat about 600 calories a day just from added sugars. Think about it.

I agree that there is an excess of sugar in our diets. I was on the Atkins diet a long time ago and for the first time I read labels looking for sugar, corn syrup, etc. I was amazed at how much unwanted and unneeded sugar is in our food. I even suspect that it is the sugar industry funding the war against artificial sweeteners.

Sugar and fat are killers.

We have all heard, by now, of how fat we are and getting what used to be called 'adult onset' diabetes and clogged arteries at earlier and earlier ages.

There are some studies concluding that some of the artery clogging fats are facilitated by our sugar intake.

Sugar is deadly. I try to avoid it wherever I can. It is very hard to get a good variety of cereals with very low sugar. Why do they not use artificial sweeteners in cereals, I wonder?
Do you notice how they try to give cereal a 'natural' appearance by adding raisins and dates? It's still junk food. Dried fruit concentrates the sugars even more and is not good for you.

Even milk contains a quantity of natural sugar. I take unsweetened soy milk (Silk). Over time my tastebuds have become more sensitive to sugar and I simply cannot eat most cereal. Luckily I like oatmeal.

I don't really know how responsible parents manage.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM

13,497 posts, read 17,502,655 times
I agree that suger IS very detrimental to our health, and we should endulge as little as possible.....but I also believe all the phony sweeteners.aspartame, splenda, sucaryle etc are VERY detrimental to our health, and should be COMPLETELY avoided.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM

1,303 posts, read 4,996,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
And chronic diseases related to diet such as heart diseases, diabetes and some cancers — for the first time in human history — kill more people than infectious diseases, according to the United Nations.

We eat about 600 calories a day just from added sugars. Think about it.

I agree that there is an excess of sugar in our diets. I was on the Atkins diet a long time ago and for the first time I read labels looking for sugar, corn syrup, etc. I was amazed at how much unwanted and unneeded sugar is in our food. I even suspect that it is the sugar industry funding the war against artificial sweeteners.

Sugar and fat are killers.

We have all heard, by now, of how fat we are and getting what used to be called 'adult onset' diabetes and clogged arteries at earlier and earlier ages.

There are some studies concluding that some of the artery clogging fats are facilitated by our sugar intake.

Sugar is deadly. I try to avoid it wherever I can. It is very hard to get a good variety of cereals with very low sugar. Why do they not use artificial sweeteners in cereals, I wonder?
Do you notice how they try to give cereal a 'natural' appearance by adding raisins and dates? It's still junk food. Dried fruit concentrates the sugars even more and is not good for you.

Even milk contains a quantity of natural sugar. I take unsweetened soy milk (Silk). Over time my tastebuds have become more sensitive to sugar and I simply cannot eat most cereal. Luckily I like oatmeal.

I don't really know how responsible parents manage.
Hey now,dont be hatin on the dried fruits! I love them...lol

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

2,031 posts, read 5,081,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hey now,dont be hatin on the dried fruits! I love them...lol
Dried fruit is no more unhealthy than other fruit and is a convenient way to eat fruit.Dried fruit doesn't "spoil" like fresh fruit. It's also full of fibre and the process preserves the vitamins and they are high in many antioxidants.Theie glycaemic index is low to moderate-depending on the fruit.
Recently dreid fruits have been shown to be benefiical for good oral health.

Dried fruit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Dried fruit is no more unhealthy than other fruit and is a convenient way to eat fruit.Dried fruit doesn't "spoil" like fresh fruit. It's also full of fibre and the process preserves the vitamins and they are high in many antioxidants.Theie glycaemic index is low to moderate-depending on the fruit.
Recently dreid fruits have been shown to be benefiical for good oral health.

Dried fruit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All the sugar that is in that piece of fruit is concentrated in that little chunk of dried fruit. Where you might eat just one peach, if you are eating dried peaches you tend to eat much more than the equivialant of one peach.

It IS dangerous when people eat the stuff and don't realize the quantity of fruit and their sugars that they are consuming. Most people don't.

All I am saying here, is to do things in moderation and generally you will be fine.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree that suger IS very detrimental to our health, and we should endulge as little as possible.....but I also believe all the phony sweeteners.aspartame, splenda, sucaryle etc are VERY detrimental to our health, and should be COMPLETELY avoided.
Well, I guess we just have to remain differing on this. I think, if you switch amongst them you have less exposure to any one and mitigate the damage, if any. I also agree that some of these tests on rats would be the equivalent of a human consuming cases of the stuff on a daily basis. THAT little test would make sugar MUCH more dangerous, I'll wager.

I also think the sugar industry is much more powerful than the individual artificial sweetener businesses when it comes to influencing government and testing. Sugar is in so much that it is very, very hard to avoid. Such is not the case with the sweeteners.

The population of this country has many more problems due to the consumption of sugar and fat than from artificial sweeteners. Obesity and diabetes are almost in epidemic numbers, where are the similar numbers of the ill from artificial sweeteners?

As I said before, I have a problem digesting those slowly metabolizing sugar alcohols like mannitol and I just avoid them, and they are probably, in your estimation, closer to 'natural' than saccharin and the like. It depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness