Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

My diabetic educator told me the V8 was a good substitute for veggies since I live alone and fresh veggies spoil so quickly. So keep that up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
So happy to hear you're going to revamp your diet...it can be a matter of re-trainng your palate to accept the new flavors. And it's not really too complicated to start eating more wisely.

Each day, try to make sure you eat something new..one day, maybe you eat a carrot, next day, a sweet potato, next day an apple..maybe a spinach salad with chopped apple (you can make your own yummy dressing with balsamic vinegar, a little mustard and a t. of honey) then maybe try making a simple black bean burrito with salsa and some of your favorite cheese...or try making a stir-fry with fresh veggies and serve over brown rice...then next day, eat two of the new foods...keep going until you're making most of your meals from the nutrient-rich foods as you wean yourself off the more harmful, garbage-y ones...

Pretty soon, over time, your mouth and body will be thanking you for giving them foods bursting with wellness instead of junk...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Along with a good multi-vitamin, think about taking a B complex in the strength of 50 or 100mg.--that could help your low red blood cells and tiredness...

Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
No on grapes. Absolutely positively no grapes, no grape juice. Grapes are mostly sugar, and little of anything else.

Lettuce and dressing isn't a salad. It's "something to pour your dressing on that won't fall off your fork." No wonder you only eat it twice or thrice a month. You're probably eating iceberg lettuce, which is mostly water, and a little fiber, and not much nutritional value at all.

Get some baby greens, some fresh spinach, endive, and red-leaf lettuce. Add a chopped carrot, slice 2-4 mushrooms up, a few sliced pieces of banana pepper, a healthy pinch of shredded cheddar cheese or a couple tablespoons of crumbled feta, some roasted sunflower seeds, a half dozen grape tomatoes, and drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar over it. THAT is a salad.

Have at least one banana every other day.

Enjoy some natural peanutbutter (not the brand named sweetened crap, I mean read the ingredients. They should be: roasted peanuts, salt. That's it.). A couple spoonsful every few days will do you good; you can even smear it on your banana.

Ground beef is okay a couple or three meals per week, if you're only having a few ounces per serving (that's the equivalent of a Junior Classic Cheeseburger at Wendy's). You're better off with roasted or broiled chicken, and fresh fish like broiled *unbreaded* haddock smothered with chopped green peppers, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.

French fries and potato chips are a vegetable, but they don't "count as" a vegetable. They count as crappy food you should try not to eat more than once or twice a month, if you absolutely must.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You can make sweet potato fries at home by slicing a sweet potato and drizzling some interesting spices on it, like cumin or cinnamon. Then bake at 450 degrees until crisp. Don't add salt.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 14,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can make sweet potato fries at home by slicing a sweet potato and drizzling some interesting spices on it, like cumin or cinnamon. Then bake at 450 degrees until crisp. Don't add salt.
That would be great if I liked sweet potatoes. My problem is I don't like any food. I hate the taste of foods. lol

Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSYMOJO View Post
Hi my name is Jessy. I am only 28 and bike every day 5 miles one way. I recently started biking again. Anyway I have a medical dilemma that not even my doctor can figure out.I am at my wits end with this medical issue and don't know what is causing it. Ok to explain for the past 2 years I have had stomach trouble but not the usual. Cramps in my pelvic area. I get constipation so my doctor said more fiber. Did not help. I also get bad headaches started recently back in october. I have trouble with feeling weak all the time and i am always tired.There is something not right about me and I can feel it. My eyesight seems to always be foggy. I mean I have poor vision anyway but it got bad one day and ever since it has been bad. I always feel hungry alot. The recent weirdness to my illness comes at night my hands get numb and I have to sleep on my back so they don'tgo numb. My right hand gets it the worst and my middle finger on that hand gets so bad it is in excruciating pain. I go to the er alot over my pelvic pain.

The er tests my ovaries for cysys nothing. My doctor says my red blood cell count is low. I was tested 2 years ago for anemia I don't have it. Also tested for thyroid troubles around the same time and nothing. At that time my white cell count was low. My doc put me on herpes medication and the white cell count went up and red cell count down. She does not know what is wring with me. For 2 years I have been trying to find out answers. I gained 10-15 lbs also and just feel scared. I have had all the std tests and hep c and b. and still nothing. My periods are messed up, causing spotting all month so my doctor is referring me to a gyno. I am scared about the red blood cell count being low. I have trouble concentrating and thinking. I am too young to bend over and be out of breath and feel like oooooo an old lady hurting. If anyone out there can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I have a loving boyfriend who is by my side but he is getting sick of me always feeling sick.

Thanks for reading my post and please reply thanks
I have had abnormal WBC's and RBC's for over ten years now.

I can tell you one thing.....HAVING LOW RBC's is a form of anemia(even if your Hemoglobin is normal). When my RBC's go low I can feel it......energy goes way down, breathing gets labored, weak, bruise easily, slow to heal....and my skin gets very pale.

Have you seen a Hematologist......that would be the my next move.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Are you drinking enough water? Constipation and headaches might indicate that you are not well hydrated. Don't have a clue about the other stuff.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Fruit and veggies: once in a while a banana, orange juice and salad on occasion every week or 2. Nothing on the salad but letuce and dressing. potato chips, and french fries count as a veggie so does ketchup and forms of tomato sauce. My mom says no.
I don't care what you've heard; but ketchup is not a vegetable.

Quote:
That would be great if I liked sweet potatoes. My problem is I don't like any food. I hate the taste of foods. lol
You have a serious problem then. I'd suggest you look into a vegan diet. I have friends that have made the switch recently and are feeling the difference. They live for smoothies and its a great way to get fruits and veggies into your diet.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Tomatoes are fruits, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness