Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

I think Mike Adams hits the nail right on the head with this article entitled:
The hoax of modern medicine: Seven facts you need to know

For example, I work for a so-called Health Care company ( a health insurance company ). Everyday my inbox contains emails talking about the importance of employee health, yet the vending machines dispense candy bars, chips, and sodas just like everywhere else, and more than half of the employees are noticably overweight. Their concept of health & prevention is limited to getting regular check-ups and little more than that. A few years ago I worked for another health insurance company and the environmewnt there was even more hypocritical than my present environment.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
I only skimmed through the article and it sounds about right, doesn't it? DH and I "joked" one day about AIDS wondering why the drug cos haven't found a "cure" yet and DH replied, "There's no money in curing AIDS."

Anyway, I totally agree with you but everyone needs to take the initiative to live healthier. Sure, you can blame the vending machines, commercials, convenience of fast foods etc. but at the end of the day, nobody forced you to do anything. We have free will for a reason and that is so every human being can make a decision for themselves.

Take me for example, I've been stuck in a rut the past two years: eating unhealthy, being lazy, not making any healthful choices. Pretty much just being sedentary and one day I said enough is enough. This past March, I made a change and started exercising. I still make bad choices - all in moderation, right? - but I jog about 15 miles a week, do weights and eat much less than I used to. We all need to take control of our lives and stop blaming the big companies for our bad health.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
foma wrote:
Sure, you can blame the vending machines, commercials, convenience of fast foods etc. but at the end of the day, nobody forced you to do anything. We have free will for a reason and that is so every human being can make a decision for themselves.
I agree that you can't blame the vending machines, etc. Everything you say is right on the money. My point is, that a so-called health care company making junk food available is a complete sham. IMO IF they truly cared about employee health, the vending machines would contain healthy food and drinks instead of junk food and sugar drinks.

foma wrote:
We all need to take control of our lives and stop blaming the big companies for our bad health.
Again, I am in TOTAL agreement with that statement. Relying upon the government, health experts, or anyone other than ourselves is a recipe for disaster. It really is up to us. Our well being is our own responsibility. I'm not telling anyone to blame the big companies or to ask your doctor.

My original post is intended to help people see thru all of the lies perpetuated by big pharma, the press, the government, etc and to start thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for their own well being. My hat is off to you for doing just that!

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-04-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Yep, taking personal responsibility for the kind of person you are would really be a wonderful trait for all of human kind to have.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
We all need to take control of our lives and stop blaming the big companies for our bad health.
I agree with people needing to take personal responsibility for their health -- ultimately, it is each individual's choice whether to live a healthy lifestyle or not...people should have enough self-control not to drink that soda for breakfast or snack on candy throughout the day, even if it's just a vending machine away. While it would be fantastic to have vending machines with healthy choices available, people don't buy the healthy food, so it doesn't work from a business perspective.

I also agree that companies (not just health care companies, though that would certainly seem like a logical place to start 'setting the right example') should place greater emphasis on wellness programs and incentivize employees to get and stay healthy. I have worked at companies that had wellness programs (e.g., health club discounts, EAP), but which didn't expend any efforts in ensuring that employees maintained a reasonable work-life balance. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is about more than just eating right, exercising, and getting preventative care -- reducing stress is also key.

I have also attempted to get companies I've worked at to implement wellness programs (even the health club discounts, for crying out loud!), to no avail. Not surprisingly, these companies were typically overrepresented by overweight and/or obese employees, which have been shown to cost companies more in health care expenses, and wellness programs have been shown to have an impressive ROI. While I can understand that some companies aren't interested in offering 'unnecessary' perks, if they result in reduced costs overall to the company, isn't that a good business practice?

Bottom line: companies need to start "walking the talk" and wellness needs to be an integral part of the work experience. Personally, I'd like to see the first half hour of work devoted to some company-wide calisthenics.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
While it would be fantastic to have vending machines with healthy choices available, people don't buy the healthy food, so it doesn't work from a business perspective.
By the way, GREAT post!

It's funny b'c I've been on a semi-health kick lately and I don't even go near vending machines for fear of slipping so these companies are losing my business! We all agree it comes from the individual to make that change, but maybe if these companies started putting healthier alternatives our minds will be re-programmed to eat the "right stuff". You know, like telling your kids you have a choice: what's for dinner? Peas or broccoli?

It's funny, both DH and I have gained wait since college (7 years ago) but have lost a significant amount since we moved to PHX 9 months ago. We thought WE were on the "gi-normous" and sedentary side but some of his co-workers are even un-healthier than us. It really puts things in perspective. Companies really should start looking into "health programs" and "health incentives" for their employees. I think it's one of the best investments a company can make. Since losing weight, DH and I are much happier, positive people and that can only result in a better, more productive employee, don't you think?! Listen up big companies!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Thanks, foma! We're on the same page...it's all about making sensible choices, admitting that maybe shedding a few pounds would be healthier, and doing something about it.

I am puzzled about why companies don't fully embrace employee "wellness" and insist on dancing around the fact that being overweight is not good for people, and not good for business. Agreed, healthy employees make for better, more productive employees!

Congrats on your weight loss!! People can take control of their health, but it's not always easy or fun...and we live in a society where people won't do things if instant gratification isn't involved. Hence, all those ridiculous herbal weight loss pill commercials...

Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
It is true, our government is owned by large corporations, so our politicians no longer represent us.
They want to keep their jobs. To do so, they must get re-elected. To do that takes lots of money. So, the corporations give those big donations to our representatives. Whoever pays the bill, calls the tune.

The FDA is payed for, in part, by money from drug companies.

Most of the medical training in the US is subsidised by money from drug companies.

How do we maintain the same degree of health care, and take their profit out of it? They have been entrenched for so long that it is a hard job, and any initial program is bound to have problems.

Hillary's plan, years ago, included the drug and insurance industries. She is saying nothing about how to address this situation now. They are probably contributing a huge amount to her political war chest.

President Kennedy saw this coming - kids who were too fat. He started a movement, getting public schools to excersice kids more and kids, for a time, started long hikes and competitions doing such things.

Kennedy may have been the last Pres who actually cared for this country and its people, and 'they' killed him. And 'they', or folks like them covered it up, so we will probably never really know what happened.

So now we are fat, lazy, consumers.

There is no incentive for the medical system to keep us healty. The system only makes money when we are ill.
So, there are support groups for people who have diabetes and heart conditions, but none for preventing such things.
If you go to your doctor and your sugar or cholesterol or blood pressure is high, he gives you pills(if they are cholesterol it is dangerous to go off them once you start - for life) and maybe a sheet containint diet information.
At least, in Europe, there are spas that you are sent to, for each disorder, forcing you to eat healthy, brainwashing you into the proper diet, forcing you to exercise, etc. So you come home determined and with a bunch of new friends to help you. After all, it is a lifestyle change.

Here, you are left on your own, and the same dumb brain that let you get into that mess is the one you must rely on to get you out. Sure, it CAN be done, but the majority of people need a boot in the butt, and that just does not happen.

When my mom went to a doctor for sleeping pills (a good, Indian doctor), he would not give them to her unless she stopped smoking and stopped coffee. She came home so angry. He was right.

A doctor should think - if you don't care enough to value your life, why should I? What good am I going to do in a few minutes if you live your life the wrong way? Tough love.

I think this starts in the mind.
I think we eat for other reasons.
We can start out as determined as heck, but later, when you are tired and your mind gets weak, it is easy to break down.

My mom would not keep food in the fridge that would make her fat because she knew she had weak moments like that.
She would not sit for a whole meal, but have bites throughout the day, so her stomach was never completely empty.
She said that we evolved feeling a little hungry most of the time, that is the natural way our stomaches should feel.
Never eat until you are stuffed.
Eat slowly. It takes about a half hour for that first bite to 'register' in the stomach that it is being fed.

I try to remind myself of these things.
I think exercise is great, but it stimulates appitite and a lot of people think they can eat more because of the exercise. If you are one of these, you should probably start an exercise program after you have lost your weight.

Train your brain NOT to think of food as often as you do during the day.
Make family members make their OWN food. Really.

At least until you are where you want to be, weight-wise.

Eat half your usual portions, and save the rest to nuke later or the next day.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Kennedy may have been the last Pres who actually cared for this country and its people, and 'they' killed him. And 'they', or folks like them covered it up, so we will probably never really know what happened.

So now we are fat, lazy, consumers.

A doctor should think - if you don't care enough to value your life, why should I? What good am I going to do in a few minutes if you live your life the wrong way?
I liked your train of thought! "They" killed Kennedy, therefore we are all fat. Heehee.

Good for your Mom's doc who wouldn't give her the sleeping pills. BRAVO.

Liked your post ... great advice

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM

72,409 posts, read 18,196,480 times
I agree with Foma,Wanderlust,Remember,the healthcare is also a money making business,they are in business because there is money to be made,they really don't care about what the employees want, they would have to spend the money,it doesn't benefit "them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness