Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times

Advertisements

My son says his girlfriend has these symptons--is waiting in ER after going to the health clinic at her college--she is PhD student so in later 20s...

Has had her gall bladder out previously--moved from out of state to come to our area for PhD program--no local doctor...normally in good health, exercises daily, not overweight...
went to health clinic today and they referred her to ER--said her condition was more serious than they treat but did not call ambulance to transport...
she had to drive herself...

besides cancer any suggestions for possible causes?

Blood in stool and in urine is somewhat confusing to me--
can Chrone's disease have blood in urine and stool? or bowel rupture? ruptured appendix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
can Chrone's disease have blood in urine and stool? or bowel rupture? ruptured appendix?
I know someone with Crohn's and as far as I know that is not the case with him but every patient's symptoms are not alike.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
If she has a fistula, blood could migrate. Hope she gets some help!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,379,941 times
Low platelet count.

This increases risk of bleeding, in general. In urine/stool are common places to bleed if you are at risk of bleeding.

Then I guess they would need to find out why platelets or low. Can be anything from an adverse reaction to a medication, a viral infection, an inherited platelet problem, an auto-immune platelet problem or cancer.

But who knows.

Good luck to her.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:13 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,405,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My son says his girlfriend has these symptons--is waiting in ER after going to the health clinic at her college--she is PhD student so in later 20s...

Has had her gall bladder out previously--moved from out of state to come to our area for PhD program--no local doctor...normally in good health, exercises daily, not overweight...
went to health clinic today and they referred her to ER--said her condition was more serious than they treat but did not call ambulance to transport...
she had to drive herself...

besides cancer any suggestions for possible causes?

Blood in stool and in urine is somewhat confusing to me--
Why did she go to the clinic?
Could she see blood in her urine and stool,or was she feeling unwell generally, temperature etc?

If she has blood in her urine and stool then it sounds more like a systemic medical ,rather than acute surgical condition eg low platelets secondary to some disease process.
Liver problems can also lead to bleeding as the liver controls blood clotting.
If she had a ruptured appendix she wouldn't be driving,believe me.

Also bear in mind that the blood may not be coming from the urinary system, but from the reproductive system ie she might be bleeding PV. Endometriosis can affect the bowel as well as uterus etc.

How is she today?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM

She was having acute pain in her abdomen--had had it off and on for several days
has had gastro problems related to gall bladder (removed) and stomach for years

Dr released her after MRI--said no apparent blockage--maybe one area of small bowel showed inflamation--gave her pain pills, antibiotic, and maybe anti-spasmodics
gave her referral to gastro doctor to see
she has appt Friday with him

gettting some relief from pain with pills but still having problems...

Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,568 times
It is hard to say for sure, but based on her age and overall health, I would bet that it is a problem for a gynecologist rather than a urologist. A lot depends on the color of the blood. If it is black and oxidized, I would see a urologist, while if it is still reddish at all I would suggest starting with a gynecologist.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM

I don't know any specifics--even if it is microscopic vs easily seen
she has had bowel obstruction before apparently so guess that weights it toward gastro vs OBGYN problem

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,405,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
It is hard to say for sure, but based on her age and overall health, I would bet that it is a problem for a gynecologist rather than a urologist. A lot depends on the color of the blood. If it is black and oxidized, I would see a urologist, while if it is still reddish at all I would suggest starting with a gynecologist.
You don't get black oxidised blood in the urine.It's either fresh and you can see it-anywhere from rose colored to bright red or you can't because it's microscopic.
You get oxidised blood in the feces from the digestive tract.

I assume the antibiotics were for a UTI-hence the blood in her urine and maybe some abnormal blood work. A UTI can cause nasty abdo and back pain.

Maybe she'd just not looking after herself very well. not eating properly and not drinking enough water etc on top of an existing bowel problem.

Sounds like she needs a colonoscopy.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 25,634 times
I have my 17 year old daughter going through stomach pain first then blood in her stool now today blood in her urine. she said it burned & when she cleaned herself surprised when she saw the blood. I had been taking her to her Dr. she had run blood test, Xray & ultrasound. All good but a slightly enlarged liver but she said her blood work regaurding her liver was fine. She gave her stool softeners for her constipation & refered her to a gastrologist. Now we have several test scheduled. I want results fast. I am a worried parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness