Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Turmeric--taken in capsules or curry
This! While it may not help what ales you it is a powerful anti-inflamatory. I read about it in these forums when I was looking for a cure for boils and took it everyday for several months and then quit when my symptoms were reduced. Recently I noticed that boil was growing and with the first dose the size was reduced greatly. I took 2 more capsules yesterday and expect to see a significant reduction when I check it later. I also noticed that this little lump on the back of my head that I've had for a few weeks or longer is now gone too.

It sure can't hurt to try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Are you taking "fish oil" or Cod Liver Oil"??????

The reason I ask is because for some, taking Cod Liver oil can cause inflammation due to the high levels of Vitamin A and D.
I just started taking fish oil again and it is helping as it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yes turmeric!
I don't know what you mean by curry since there are other things besides turmeric in curry.
You can take a teaspoon (or more) of turmeric powder (organic) in a little glass of water.
Rinse your mouth thoroughly afterward with warm water to avoid staining and then brush your teeth as the turmeric will turn your tooth brush yellow.

I believe that taking a curcumin supplement is more effective than taking turmeric. "Curcumin is the principal curcuminoid of the popular Indian spice turmeric."
Curcumin has anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and antioxidant properties.
I think that you'd have to ingest a lot of turmeric to get the necessary anti-inflammatory benefits of the curcumin.

I take an excellent supplement called Curamin but it is expensive.
I'm dealing with a hip issue as well.
Do you like to swim? That may be the best way for you to work out at this time.
The last time i provided a link to a product it was deleted with a "no advertising comment" so i'll just give you the web-site via direct message.
Thanks for that link! You should be able to post links, I believe it's only when you're new here and have under a certain number of posts that you can't/

Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks for that link! You should be able to post links, I believe it's only when you're new here and have under a certain number of posts that you can't/
You're welcome.
And yes, i've always posted links to products here.
But the last time i did it was deleted with the no advertising comment.
I'll give it another try.
I'm using the Curcumin daily while i get through this injury and i take this supplement once in awhile for pain.

Solaray - IbuActin

It has both an anti-inflammatory and calming effect so sometimes at night i'll use it whereas there's something in the Curcumin that for me is a bit stimulating.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Inflamation is not good for your overall health. I would assess your diet - cut out all sugars, number one - as well as alcohol, and report back!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Inflamation is not good for your overall health. I would assess your diet - cut out all sugars, number one - as well as alcohol, and report back!
I know too MUCH sugar and/or alcohol is not good for you, but is there really evidence that it causes inflammation?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I know too MUCH sugar and/or alcohol is not good for you, but is there really evidence that it causes inflammation?
I read health magazines and study holistic health and my reading informs my viewpoint, but I am not aware of any studies if that is what you are getting at. You might want to research yourself on the web.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My understanding is that it's not so much the sugars that cause the inflammation as it is the fact that your insulin goes up with it and if you have insulin resistance, as most overweight people do, then you're better off not eating the sugar, or if you do, make sure you eat it with a meal so your insulin doesn't spike as much. So it's having your insulin level go too high too often that causes chronic inflammation. If your weight is normal then you can get away with consuming some sugar or alcohol.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Someone wrote an anonymous rep comment to me that my comment was "strange and insensitive." I see nothing "strange and insensitive" about saying that cutting back on sugar and alcohol might help a problem of inflamation.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Top 10 Inflammatory Foods to Avoid Like the Plague | The Conscious Life

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness