Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I was not intentionally being political.
We as humans are part of a whole and what / how we choose to eat has an impact on our own lives as well as on the lives of others and on the life of the planet and all of its inhabitants.
Our health (or lack of it) has to do, in large part, with the degree to which we are conscious of that truth, embrace it and act in accordance with it.
And my post was in response to someone who said, "There is no reason not to eat it".
Also, contained in that post (after 2 others that could in no way be mistaken for being political) was the acknowledgment that the o.p. has cholesterol levels that concern her and has a history of heart disease in her family.
While my own ideas of ideal diet and nutrition probably differ significantly from yours, I have no problem with the opinion you have voiced above; I just don't think that the selected article has much to do with truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
While my own ideas of ideal diet and nutrition probably differ significantly from yours, I have no problem with the opinion you have voiced above; I just don't think that the selected article has much to do with truth.
I'm not sure what you mean by it not having "much to do with truth".
But i'm thinking that this isn't the thread to discuss it.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
FWIW, I won't altogether stop eating red meat. Steak is my all time favorite food (with lamb as a very close second) and I certainly won't deny myself the pleasure. That being said, I will cut it down and try and limit it to vacations and major events (birthday, Christmas, etc). I really think (hope) moderation is key vs. drastic measures like cutting it out completely (which would be much harder to do and easier to fail).

The more I research, I feel the pill may be to blame, at least to some extent. I really don't eat food high in saturated fat; I don't even buy vegetable oil, not a snacker at all, and don't keep bread in the house. My vice is red meat, but that's not even extensive. I am a red wine drinker, again not extensive or even everyday, but certainly have a few glasses through the week.

So perplexed... Like I said, doctor's appointment is coming up, and in the meantime I am working with the nutritionist and trainer at my gym.
I'm not rigid or dogmatic when it comes to diet (or anything for that matter).
I'm not a strict vegetarian. I just had a hamburger yesterday ... 1st one in about a year but i felt that my body needed it so i gave my body what it wanted. No problem. And my dog was very happy as i made one for her too.
It would be interesting to see what happens when you get off that pill.
If i were you, that's what i'd do.
If you were to do that and hold off on anti-cholesterol "treatment" (natural or otherwise) and had your cholesterol checked again at the appropriate time and it was back in a good range, then you could feel pretty certain that the pill was the cause ... and then know to avoid it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,574 times
Quote:
I'm not rigid or dogmatic when it comes to diet (or anything for that matter).
I'm not a strict vegetarian. I just had a hamburger yesterday ... 1st one in about a year but i felt that my body needed it so i gave my body what it wanted. No problem. And my dog was very happy as i made one for her too.
It would be interesting to see what happens when you get off that pill.
If i were you, that's what i'd do.
If you were to do that and hold off on anti-cholesterol "treatment" (natural or otherwise) and had your cholesterol checked again at the appropriate time and it was back in a good range, then you could feel pretty certain that the pill was the cause ... and then know to avoid it.
That's the plan. I will speak to my doctor first and then get off the pill and see how that changes anything. I will still monitor my diet and up my exercise, because really that can't hurt me!

PS- I don't like hamburgers! Or anything with any sort of ground meat... I also can't stand bacon ... love prosciutto though. I'm strange.

As for the ratio... I don't know-- this was a pin prick test done by the doctor in my office for Heart Health Month. I have scheduled a 'real' doctor's appointment to get the full blood test (and ask about my concerns).

Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM

I just thought of something-- what about allergy meds? Can that cause anything? I take them daily (generic Zyrtec). Hmm.. anyone have any experience with this?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by it not having "much to do with truth".
But i'm thinking that this isn't the thread to discuss it.
I think you're exactly right.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM

106 posts, read 287,656 times
I apologize in advance, but I did not read through all the responses in this thread like I normally do before commenting... but based on your post... you probably have nothing to worry about.

255 is not that high, especially for a female. actually somwhere around 220 -240 is probably ideal, as cholesterol lipids are often more protective than anything. they are transport modules, and your body makes them on purpose. also, the ratio is EXTREMELY significant. Total cholesterol means, quite literally, almost nothing. You cannot tell much of anything from that reading, and that statement is even more true when the test was done with only a pin prick.

keep eating red meat. i eat organic grass fed beef and lamb all the time. it's very good for you. keep exercising. 30 min 3x per week is excellent. a little more is ok too

Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Update on my Initial Post

Everyone here has been super helpful, so I just wanted to update you on my blood results. I went to my doctor (who happens to also be a cardiologist) and had a full blood test done to understand my levels.

1) My cholesterol dropped to 202. He said I shouldn't worry about it.
HDL- 59
LDL- 111
VLDL- 32
Chol/HDL Ratio is 3.42

2) My triglycerides are high at 160. He said an increase in exercise should help this (though I do work out and am not overweight). He also said the pill could be a factor in this, but he wouldn't do anything drastic. I am seeing my OBGYN this week for an annual anyways, so maybe I'll bring it up to him also.

3) All else is within range and looks normal, except my Vitamin D which is 18. He has prescribed pills for this and will do a followup in 3 months.

Thanks for your help everyone. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Either way, it was definitely an eye opener, and in the end it worked out well as I should definitely keep an eye on these things.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Thanks for the update!

The triglycerides are just borderline. Watch the diet and exercise!

Suzy Q

Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM

531 posts, read 1,983,004 times
It might help LaFemme86 to know that I too had/have the same kinds of cholesterol numbers...and have had them for 25 years! Going off the pill when I was 36 helped some. Exercising a minimum of 4 to 5 hours per week helped too. Still have total cholesterol of 200-ish and "bad" cholesterol of about 140. Still breathing! No known heart disease yet. Remember that women's heart disease does not have as much research behind it as does men's. There is some suspicion that women's cholesterol numbers should not be judged in the same way as men's. Here at Duke they are studying these questions right now. Should you ever develop problems, I would suggest you see a cardiologist that specializes in women. We're not men. Surprise, surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness