Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times

Advertisements

I have a history/health question. I heard someone say that many Indians such as the Apache who were native to the SW USA developed respiratory problems when they were forced to move to the SE USA due to the SE's humidity and they were raised in a dry climate w/o a lot of humidity. I tried researching it via Google etc but I haven't found any good information about it. I know many Indians died out of diseases that they didn't have immunity to when they were exposed to Europeans but this sounds like more of a climate issue. Do any of you have any good information on this? If someone in our modern times grew up in the SW USA say in a place like Phoenix but then moved to the SE USA where there was a lot of humidity would they likely end up w/ respiratory problems? Have a good one my fellow city data peeps.
[+] Rate this post positively

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
But that climate issue is key.
Mold and mildew come to mind immediately .... two things that are not an issue in the southwest but certainly are in any humid / wet climate.
And there are all sorts of other allergens in the southeast that a people from the southwest could potentially have problems with.
And visa-versa by the way.
I used to work in a nutrition / health food store when i lived in Santa Fe and all sorts of people from other parts of the country would be in the store on an almost daily basis looking for relief from intense allergies that the desert nature was presenting them with.
And quite of few of them were people who already had severe allergies in other parts of the country and actually moved to N.M. because they wrongly assumed that the desert would provide them with relief.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness