Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

I've been having gout attacks since I was 17 and am now turning 29 this year.
Weight loss has worked, but due to circumstances I lost track/faith and now have to find others ways to bring it down again.
With that out of the way, I've seen that the list of gout causing foods is practically endless and am now under the impression I must starve myself in order to contain it once more.
I'm aware of prescriptions being available, but since I'm no longer employed by a company with insurance, that's no longer an option.

Are there any okay foods and over-the-counter remedies that could lessen my gout attacks along with bringing my weight down again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Gout runs in my family. My mother has it, I do (female) as does my brother. My brother has it the worst, just had another attack last week, he could hardly handle his work day.

For me, I had to do food elimination, first shellfish...nope...then wine...nope...finally red meat...yes...if I eat it less than 3 times a week I am fine. My mother, seems shellfish it is the
culpert. My brother? I have no clue.

I do know that if I eat marachino (sp) cherries once a day I never have an episode.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Gout runs in my family. My mother has it, I do (female) as does my brother. My brother has it the worst, just had another attack last week, he could hardly handle his work day.

For me, I had to do food elimination, first shellfish...nope...then wine...nope...finally red meat...yes...if I eat it less than 3 times a week I am fine. My mother, seems shellfish it is the
culpert. My brother? I have no clue.

I do know that if I eat marachino (sp) cherries once a day I never have an episode.
Not quite sure if all meats cause it, or just red meat.
But if I have to cut out all meat altogether, I'm not quite sure how I'll handle it.
Cherries on the other hand, I've heard things about them actually working to varying degrees.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Its the uric acid in the red meat. I have relatives who just got over gout. Their primary food source is red meat. I also think not drinking enough water prevents the kidneys from flushing out these compounds.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've been having gout attacks since I was 17 and am now turning 29 this year.
Weight loss has worked, but due to circumstances I lost track/faith and now have to find others ways to bring it down again.
With that out of the way, I've seen that the list of gout causing foods is practically endless and am now under the impression I must starve myself in order to contain it once more.
I'm aware of prescriptions being available, but since I'm no longer employed by a company with insurance, that's no longer an option.

Are there any okay foods and over-the-counter remedies that could lessen my gout attacks along with bringing my weight down again?

Cherries are a good gout prevention from what I undrstand. I really don't know much about how diet affects gout otherwise. Maybe do a bit of research and see what you can find. The Mayo Clinic has a good website for medical research.

The prescriptions are an option you just have to apply to the manufacturer of the medication for the Patient Assistance Program, you also need the paperwork signed and filled out by your Physician. I was on the program about 10 years ago through Novartis and it is a very good program. I'm sure each manufacturer has their own guidelines though.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Foods don't cause gout. So the answer is...all of them don't cause gout.

Certain foods can trigger a gout episode, in someone who suffers from hyperuricemia. And even then, food consumption only accounts for around 10-15% of all gout attacks.

Alcohol consumption is a far more prolific culprit. If you drink any alcohol at all, eliminate it all entirely for a couple of months and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Also, obesity contributes to gout (but again, doesn't cause it - there is only one cause of gout, and that is hyperurucemia). So if you are obese (not merely a few pounds overweight) you should get your weight down to something manageable and that will reduce the chance of an attack.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Foods don't cause gout. So the answer is...all of them don't cause gout.

Certain foods can trigger a gout episode, in someone who suffers from hyperuricemia. And even then, food consumption only accounts for around 10-15% of all gout attacks.

Alcohol consumption is a far more prolific culprit. If you drink any alcohol at all, eliminate it all entirely for a couple of months and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Also, obesity contributes to gout (but again, doesn't cause it - there is only one cause of gout, and that is hyperurucemia). So if you are obese (not merely a few pounds overweight) you should get your weight down to something manageable and that will reduce the chance of an attack.
Medical News Today.
When the human body breaks down chemicals called purines it produces uric acid. Purines can be found naturally in your body, as well as in food, such as organ meats, anchovies, asparagus, mushrooms and herring.

Most of the time uric acid dissolves and goes into the urine via the kidneys. However, if the body is producing too much uric acid, or if the kidneys are not excreting enough uric acid, it builds up. The accumulation results in sharp urate crystals which look like needles. They accumulate in the joints or surrounding tissue and cause pain, inflammation and swelling.

What Is Gout? What Causes Gout?

GOUT.CoM
So this site is saying also to limit high Purine foods, and be a healthy weight. They have a list of High Purine foods which includes but is not limited to:
Meats like beef, pork, meat based gravies.
Seafoods.
Vegetables like spinach
Other such as oatmeal, beans.

They also list low purine foods:
Such as but not limited to:
Breads, grains.
Beverages
Vegetables
Other like fruits cheese etc.

Gout attacks may be triggered by
alcohol,
certain medicines,
another illness,
stressful events, or
other factors.
Other Known Gout Triggers Include:
Joint injury
Surgery
Eating too much of certain foods
Crash diets
Infection
Rapid lowering of uric acid levels
with uric acid-lowering medicines

High Uric Acid Levels in the Blood (Hyperuricemia)

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The limiting only needs to be done in people who are at a high risk for hyperuricemia, or for people who already have it. Eating lots of cheeses and starches comes with its own risk. ALL overeating of ANY food comes with some risk to health.

If you have no history of gout in the family, and you're not obese, and you get plenty of exercise, and you have no history of kidney or liver or other digestive system illness....

then you don't need to eliminate meat and stock up on bread.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,371 times
Gout used to be known as a disease of the rich. It was documented as far back as 2600 BC. It is usually found in men and older men. (Less in women) Gout is really a life-style related disease. Diets heavy in uric acid producing foods.. especially heavy meats, gravies, and proteins set the stage for the body's inability to handle such a heavy load of uric acids and too much protein. (Yes, you can eat too much!)

If you can add LOTS of colorful vegetables, salads, etc., and cut down on your meat/uric acid consumption you may be able to eat some red meats occasionally, but it sounds like your body is extremely toxic and you probably have liver, gall bladder, kidney issues you may not even feel at this point, as young as you are.

Gout is more dangerous than most people suspect. Here's a link that may help provide more info. Best wishes!

Gout: The Forgotten Disease « Beating Gout

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Hubby has gout, but takes Allopurinal daily....hasn't had a "bout" since!

When his gout was active, red meat, beer, fried foods, etc....made it worse. Ask your doctor about a preventative....it sure has helped my husband!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness