Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times

Advertisements

Sorry - but if its bronchitis I go immediately to doctor. Antibiotic - starts to improve within a couple of days.

I've seen too many people let it go far far too long and end up with walking pneumonia... Young, otherwise-healthy people.

So, while I never go to a doc for colds, sore throats, etc.. As soon as I recognize bronchitis (and now I've had it 3 or 4 times in my life) ... to the doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Thanks, everyone...little sleep again, tried to sleep sitting up but wasn't very successful...I'll try for a nap later today. My friends who have gone through this crud say antibiotics haven't helped and it lasted just as long as in those who didn't go for antibiotics...if it's viral, antibiotics won't help. No rattle or wheezing so I think not pneumonia...but am keeping aware of that possibility and will hightail to the doc if it seems headed in that direction.

It's just rough not being able to get any decent sleep just when the body's crying out for it--and needs it to heal.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM

64 posts, read 376,528 times
It's terrible, isn't it? I just had it for 3-weeks, and after 2 different courses of Antibiotic therapy, I still have "something" in my chest. When I went to my Endocrinologist, she listened to my lungs,
and recommended I see a "Pulmonologist". Great. Every year it takes longer and longer for me to
recover when I come down with Bronchitis.
Hope you're feeling better !

Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Sorry - but if its bronchitis I go immediately to doctor. Antibiotic - starts to improve within a couple of days.

I've seen too many people let it go far far too long and end up with walking pneumonia... Young, otherwise-healthy people.

So, while I never go to a doc for colds, sore throats, etc.. As soon as I recognize bronchitis (and now I've had it 3 or 4 times in my life) ... to the doctor.
Antibiotics are not the appropriate treatment for *viral* bronchitis. They are the appropriate treatment for *bacterial* bronchitis.

Viral bronchitis goes away all by itself in a few weeks, IF it doesn't turn into pneumonia first. The only thing you can do for it is to treat the symptoms while you wait it out.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks, everyone...little sleep again, tried to sleep sitting up but wasn't very successful...I'll try for a nap later today. My friends who have gone through this crud say antibiotics haven't helped and it lasted just as long as in those who didn't go for antibiotics...if it's viral, antibiotics won't help. No rattle or wheezing so I think not pneumonia...but am keeping aware of that possibility and will hightail to the doc if it seems headed in that direction.

It's just rough not being able to get any decent sleep just when the body's crying out for it--and needs it to heal.
Feel better , I know how you feel , been there , done that.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Finally got some sleep! Pulled out the big guns--valerian, melatonin and Sleepytime tea...and they worked! Did not wake up coughing during the night...but feel kind of poleaxed this morning...

Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just came down with an acute bout of bronchitis. Don't smoke. Coughing keeping me awake at night--bummer. Any tips on what helps put this on the run?
best to go to the dr. and get antibiotics because it can lead to asthma. mine did because i didn't go get antibiotics.

one year i was able to cure it with vitamin c. 1000 grams every hour. doesn't always work for me now.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Antibiotics for a viral infection are useless--and most bronchitis infections are viral...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
The megadoses of Vit C are to reduce the duration of the common cold - which, if you are taking care of yourself, will go away all by itself within 10 days anyway. Those megadoses are up to 200 grams per day - not 1000 grams per hour.

There is no indication, and further, no research at all, to show that vitamin C does anything at all for bronchitis.

There have been studies for vitamin C intravenous use for cancer and a couple of other things but none of them have anything to do with bronchitis, or colds.

Lastly, megadosing vitamin C can cause iron deficiency and diarrhea.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM

I dunno, a few times I was able to avoid the full bloom of a cold by taking mega doses of Vitamin C and using a saline nasal spray or a salt solution in a Neti pot at the first signs of a scratchy throat...anecdotal evidence for sure, but it did seem to work...I'm kicking myself for not doing that this time and letting the cold develop into bronchitis and a killer cold...aren't there some studies that say mega Vitamin C helps shorten the duration of a cold...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness