Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You could easily be allergic to several different things, none of which have anything to do with each other.

You -could- be allergic to one of your pets, AND a certain pollen in the mountain region, AND the carpet shampoos they use at the hotels, etc. etc. etc.
Very true. Sheena, my gagging/throwing up didn't begin until my 20's. I'd had asthma and allergy problems since I was a kid. So when the gagging started I was convinced it had to be something horrible as I'd never had those symptoms. I was wrong. It was allergies and something I "grew into".

Go to an allergist. And be sure you get tested for pollens in YOUR area. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Sometimes you are able to handle allergies on your own, then there comes one too many, it could be a woman walking by with a musky perfume, and all of them hit at once.

See a allergist that understands the importance of desenitizing you to the worse ones. Some Allergists just like to give medicines. You may need more than that.

If you are allergic to everyday things like mold, mildew, cats, dogs, wool, certain foods and a zillion other things, medication may be your only relief.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Been there done that. Even the gagging and throwing up. (Including a rather memorable event by the pool at Ceasar's Palace in Vegas that my family would rather forget.)

I imagined every horrible diagnosis possible and was convinced I was dying. Wrong.

Post nasal drip from allergies. Once I found a decent allergist he explained it to me. Find out what you are allergic to and go from there.

I know the feeling well! I have thought that I had everything from esophageal cancer to liver failure. The amount of mucous I produce is just insane! When I awaken, clearing myself out is a process. Some days are worse than others. Today was not that bad.

I think I will look into the possibility of allergies.

Many of you have mentioned netti pots. I have used nasal washes. Similar but less of a drowning sensation. Sometimes it helps a little. But not always.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know the feeling well! I have thought that I had everything from esophageal cancer to liver failure. The amount of mucous I produce is just insane! When I awaken, clearing myself out is a process. Some days are worse than others. Today was not that bad.

Many of you have mentioned netti pots. I have used nasal washes. Similar but less of a drowning sensation. Sometimes it helps a little. But not always.
When you lay down your sinus doesn't drain efficiently and yes you can develop allergies at anytime in your life. Has anything changed in your life recently? Did you move? People can be allergic to soap, carpets, paint, pets; the list is endless. It could be anything or nothing at all besides your airways. I had chronic bronchitis once and went to a new ENT...first thing he asked was if I had cats; the answer being "YES" and without testing me claimed that was my problem. Now I'd previously had some blood test that showed nothing. I've suffered all my life; we've had cats all my life, sounds like a connection to me but I'm willing to accept that and will never live without them!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I cannot be around any cats. Even though I have been tested twice and the results say no. I cannot and will not go to someones house that has a cat. My eyes swell up and I get itchy and cough. Dogs, well it depends on the breed, Big hairy ones bother me. German shepards, and border collies especially. Small dogs like yorkies, chihuaha's are fine. Perfumes bother me too. I cannot even go into the Yankee candle store, bath and body works stores without having an allergy attack. Been tested for all and was told only trees, grass, pollen and dust.Go figure. Zyrtec, saline spray and netti pot are the only things that help.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Been there done that. Even the gagging and throwing up. (Including a rather memorable event by the pool at Ceasar's Palace in Vegas that my family would rather forget.)

I imagined every horrible diagnosis possible and was convinced I was dying. Wrong.

Post nasal drip from allergies. Once I found a decent allergist he explained it to me. Find out what you are allergic to and go from there.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

The saline nasal done at the end of a shower is a really good way to help get rid of it.
Also do you drink enough clear fluids to help flush the mucus. This is really important. I suffer from allergies also and these help along with Mucinex and if needed a hot wash cloth or other moist heat on my face to help get the drainage going. Maybe a change of laundry detergent like all free and clear type I know it is exasperating good luck.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 47,669 times
Default I fixed mine PND

Hi Sheena and others that are reading this.
Wow you sound like I did, sames foods made it worse. (and we have the same name). For over 30 years I have been coughing up phlem and been to Dr.s, have had the xrays, endoscopes, nose op, in the end I found by searching the web that it was Post Nasal Drip and my then Dr. agreed. 'nothing you can do'. Last week while searching for things to help my dog Pixie who has cancer of the nose, I read about hydrogen peroxide 3% food grade. After days of reading I purchased 500ml of 35% FGHP and broke it down with boiled water to 3% (1 part to 11), I put this in my nasal/sinus wash bottle and took it down to 50/50 with more cooled boiled water and flushed my nasal passages out with it. That night I was able to sleep on my back for the first time in years, the next day I did not wake up coughing, and went for days not coughing, I have since flushed with the 3%, it does sting for a little while but my nose feels clear and my husband said my eyes look clear and the bags are going. All this in a matter of days. Yesterday I had a watery yellow discharge after flushing and that is indicative of an infection breaking down. After 30 years of discomfort I at last can see some light at the end of the frustrating tunnel. The cough has gone.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
Find a good naturopath. I had a cough for 6 months to a year. An aquaintance of mine happened to be a Naturopath (not sure of the spelling). I was sceptical, but I was desperate. It wasn't really about finding the cause though. It was more like identifying possible causes and trying several remedies. I tried 3-4 remedies simlutaneously. The things I used were not anything that I found to be dangerous (but of course you should always do your research. I wish I could remember exactly what I used, but I cant. It was years ago.

I do know I took a homeopathic remedy, a tea, and a flower essence (possibly blackberry).

It may be worth looking into.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Hello to Sheena12 and the other members who posted. I also feel as if I'm drowning in my own mucus and have a deep chronic cough. Now I have a very sore throat. I just bought some Tussin-DM, the Publix version of Mucinex-DM. I've been living on cough drops for years and using saline nasal sprays, but the cough became increasingly worse about 10 months ago. Some days I can't finish my shower because I'm gagging too much and I don't want to vomit. If I still have shampoo or conditioner in my hair, I use a cup and keep my head down. I used to think it was the smell of the water in Bonita that made me gag in the shower, but I haven't lived there in over 3 years.

I've had a deep cough off and on since I was a kid, but I later attributed it to growing up in a home with a father who smoked heavily. Between the penicillin and the terpin hydrate, I somehow managed to make it to adulthood.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I use over 100 tissues a week. (I lost count!) I just bought some Publix generic tissues and they're too scratchy, so it's back to Kleenex Ultra Doux. Instead of "soft" they're labeled "doux." I guess the folks at Kimberly-Clark figure that saying it in French will make blowing your nose sound more romantic.

I found this thread and would enjoy reading posts and updates from other members who have found solutions. Of course I will have to see a doctor if I don't get any relief soon, but I am trying to rule out as much as possible first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness