Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,519,895 times

Advertisements

O.K....I have a question about grains and that is do people on here eat them regularly and do well or have they bothered you. Why do i ask...

I keep reading conflicting stories about whether we should eat them or not.

Like eat Oatmeal will lower Cholesterol or Soy is eaten by the Okinawans (longest living) or a recient Nurse study about those who ate Whole Grains had the lowest in Heart Disease and Diabete's....

But on the other side i read Alternative Medicine Doctor Mercola who says grains are dangerous as they are not meant for consumption or the book out called ''Deadly Grains'' or the Paleolithic Man studies showing that grains have only been around for about 10,000 years while Paleolithic Man has been eating non grains for 1,000,000 yrs so our DNA hasn't properly envolved etc...

Anythoughts one way or the other.....

Thanks 6foot3.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,199 times
I eat grains. I don't feel any ill effects. I'm willing to risk whatever long-term damage some quack claims they cause.

Lots of steamed rice: plain, rice soup, sushi rolls, etc.
A crapload of wheat: toast, buns, pasta, BAGELS!!! I love bagles!
Corn: Plain and in cornbread.
A little of the other types. I like Barley!

Eating bagels seems to help my digestion. But I wouldn't recommend eating them regularily as they're pretty high in calories, esp w/cream cheese. I only eat them when I can get them for free (maybe once a month), but then I eat 4-5 during the course of the day! YUM!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,284,735 times
I eat grains and it hasn't bothered me. One of the things I eat is Ezekiel cereal in the mornings.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,205,673 times
I eat grains, but have a problem with wheat gluten and any refined wheat products. I get a terrible aching pain in my joints, usually in my mid to upper back on the right side, down my arm to my elbow and my neck. So if i want to raise my right arm to brush my hair or anything else above chest level, it hurts like a b****.

As long as it's whole grain, it's ok. I don't get the pain. For all those books that say to just eat raw foods, which are just fruits and veggies, that gets old after awhile. I love my morning oatmeal and my brown rice for dinner. I'm not giving them up. If we have to give up everything we love, we will end up as snarling depraved beasts, growling and hissing at everyone. lol

Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,309,473 times
I have read what Mercola wrote. But I still eat grains, and I have not had any problems with them.

Pink, raw food does get old after awhile. Wish it didn't because I lost a lot of weight on a raw diet. There is nothing like warm cereal on a cold day or a warm bowl of soup.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,938,449 times
I enjoy eating grains. My favorite is organic brown rice or quinoa ( luv those stir fries with lots of organic veggies ). Oatmeal moves to the #1 position when the weather turns colder. My body doesn't do so well with wheat & corn, even the whole grain version. As with everything, I think you have to do some trial & error to find out what works for you regardless of what the experts or as sponger42 calls them; quacks say. One persons favorite grain is another persons poison!

blessings....Franco

Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,519,895 times
Thanks to all who answered.....

Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,205,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I have read what Mercola wrote. But I still eat grains, and I have not had any problems with them.

Pink, raw food does get old after awhile. Wish it didn't because I lost a lot of weight on a raw diet. There is nothing like warm cereal on a cold day or a warm bowl of soup.
See, that's it. I just LOVE a bowl of hot soup when it's cold outside. It is so warming.
I do like raw foods, and do more of that in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness