Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM

37 posts, read 227,173 times

Advertisements

She is on a respirator and Unconscious.
Yet After telling her over and over how much i loved her... kissing her...
she lifted her head off the pillow TWICE for about 3- 5 seconds.

Doctor's say the head lifting is due to the respirator.

Of course i want to think the doctors are wrong.
that she heard me and responded... She is also 83. full of life and active before being admitted to ER.

She is ALSO an organ donor.
I have heard of of instances where hospitals
will not try their best because of this.

So i ask again..

Can A person who is unconscious on respirator lift their head ?

Last edited by Rainbow Connection; 03-31-2012 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: spaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
people in comas do amazing things. google that girl on the news who was shooting baskets. she was a huge basketballer, and while she was under a coma, made these motions on film.

i know comas and 'unconscious' is two different things, medically. but, they are both a state of 'not being awake'.

imo, it is equally possible that it was voluntary as it was involuntary. don't expect the medical community to admit anything.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Connection View Post
She is on a respirator and Unconscious.
Yet After telling her over and over how much i loved her... kissing her...
she lifted her head off the pillow TWICE for about 3- 5 seconds.

Doctor's say the head lifting is due to the respirator.

Of course i want to think the doctors are wrong.
that she heard me and responded... She is also 83. full of life and active before being admitted to ER.

She is ALSO an organ donor.
I have heard of of instances where hospitals
will not try their best because of this.

So i ask again..

Can A person who is unconscious on respirator lift their head ?
Rainbow, I am so sorry your loved one is going through this. I hope she recovers, and soon.

Do not fear that her doctors will not do the right thing for her because she is an organ donor. They really do not do that.

Depending on the cause of the alteration in consciousness and considering her age there may come a time when some difficult decisions have to be made. I hope that she has made her wishes known and you are comfortable with them. Her doctors will try to provide you with the information you need to make those decisions, always with her best interests and wishes in mind.

Yes, people with altered consciousness can move. They may respond to pain by moving away or they may move without any stimulus at all. The head lifting may be due to resisting the tube in her throat, which is uncomfortable. She may or may not be able to hear you. There is no way to know for sure. So keep talking to her. If she is able to move when you ask her to do something, such as lift her hand, then she is improving.

Try to hang in there, one day at a time.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Is this another relative? You reported that your mother died last month. I am confused.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Is this another relative? You reported that your mother died last month. I am confused.
I was thinking the same thing. Sorry that she is going through this.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 AM

37 posts, read 227,173 times
@ southern belle.
It is my mother. Yes she DID pass away.
but since then I really had time to regroup. One of my sisters who is very sweet, well we were the ones who made the decision. Now We are rethinking the conflicting diagnosis. because there WERE so many.

At the time we were out of our minds.

So I was wondering before she died, because she lifted her head, if she was still with it.
if it could have been because she was giving us a sign she still had her mental capacities.
or if it was indeed the respirator?

And after they disconnected the respirator, because she was making such STRONG and heavy breaths
-if maybe she just needed more time, and could have been weaned off the repirator. And she still had her mental capacities. Breathing on her own. or if it was indeed the respirator.

I apologize Southern Belle for asking a similar question, however there is a lot that has happened since then. I won't ever ask again.
I apologize again.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Need more details...admission disgnosis, why on wrnt, which meds were being used, etc.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Rainbow Connection:
Your first post in this thread says "She IS on a respirator."

It says "She IS also an organ donor."

She isn't either of those things. Your mother sadly passed away two months ago. I understand this is traumatic, but you really need to seek professional emotional help. Two months after the fact....you're coming here asking about something, and putting it in the present tense, giving your readers the impression that there's a situation going on -now- that you're asking about. And it isn't gong on now. It went on back in February.

And even if someone here said "No it's not normal, get a lawyer and sue them for malpractice!" what do you expect to do? Go to a lawyer and say "This guy on the internet says my mom was mistreated and killed by a doctor, I want you to sue"? Do you feel a -reasonable- response to that, would be for a lawyer to step up and say "Oh yeah baby, let's do it! Surely the guy on the internet speaks the truth!"

You're asking for validation that what you did was the right thing. You have asked this in several other threads in the past two months. You have gotten your validation, but you aren't satisfied with it.

There really isn't anything more that anyone here can do for you. Please seek professional help from a psychiatrist, or psychologist, or at the very least, a social worker/grief counselor.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Rainbow Connection:
Your first post in this thread says "She IS on a respirator."

It says "She IS also an organ donor."

She isn't either of those things. Your mother sadly passed away two months ago. I understand this is traumatic, but you really need to seek professional emotional help. Two months after the fact....you're coming here asking about something, and putting it in the present tense, giving your readers the impression that there's a situation going on -now- that you're asking about. And it isn't gong on now. It went on back in February.

And even if someone here said "No it's not normal, get a lawyer and sue them for malpractice!" what do you expect to do? Go to a lawyer and say "This guy on the internet says my mom was mistreated and killed by a doctor, I want you to sue"? Do you feel a -reasonable- response to that, would be for a lawyer to step up and say "Oh yeah baby, let's do it! Surely the guy on the internet speaks the truth!"

You're asking for validation that what you did was the right thing. You have asked this in several other threads in the past two months. You have gotten your validation, but you aren't satisfied with it.

There really isn't anything more that anyone here can do for you. Please seek professional help from a psychiatrist, or psychologist, or at the very least, a social worker/grief counselor.
Well said, I was thinking the same thing

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It wasn't the asking agin, it was the sounding like a different relative that got us all confused. We cannot second-guess your decision and you should not be doing that either! Every hospital has resources for grief/support groups. Call the one where she died or call the ones nearest to you. You have NO IDEA how comforting it is to sit with people who have gone through the exact same death of a loved one (maybe spouse, child, etc) and talk about your feelings. That is why there are support groups for people who have lost a child, they form a special bond with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness