Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 27,131 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, wondering if anyone can help me? I had surgery on January 22nd of this year after falling down the stairs. Broke my Tibia and Fibula. I have 2 plates and 10 screws! It has been 3 months and I am still in a walking aircast, but the problem is that my foot feels like mush..lol....not funny really I just don't understand why I cannot put much pressure on the foot. I can't hold up my weight at all..it is so sore. Anyone have any answers for me??.........please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newloulou View Post
Hello everyone, wondering if anyone can help me? I had surgery on January 22nd of this year after falling down the stairs. Broke my Tibia and Fibula. I have 2 plates and 10 screws! It has been 3 months and I am still in a walking aircast, but the problem is that my foot feels like mush..lol....not funny really I just don't understand why I cannot put much pressure on the foot. I can't hold up my weight at all..it is so sore. Anyone have any answers for me??.........please help
I would ask your Doctor. There is a long healing process, this I know from my son, who was assaulted and his leg was broken in 4 places. He had 6 surgeries, and a very lengthy healing process. I strongly encourage you to consult w/ your Doctor, and find out the long term process involving your healing and recovery. i wish you well....hope you have plenty of help at home.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 27,131 times
Thank you so much for the information. The problem is that my doctor doesn't spend much time with me when I go and see him every 5 weeks. He seems to be in such a rush. I will try to get him to spend more time with me next visit to answer some questions. I am sorry to hear about your son,...I hope he is doing better now..thankyou for your well-wishes and take care!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 17,374 times
Definitely talk to a doctor. You could find a new doctor if you are not happy with your current one. You are definitely bound to be going through a painful recovery, but it is important to address any concerns you have with a professional. Something minor could send you back months in the recovery process. Good luck and feel better!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM

699 posts, read 2,218,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newloulou View Post
Thank you so much for the information. The problem is that my doctor doesn't spend much time with me when I go and see him every 5 weeks. He seems to be in such a rush. I will try to get him to spend more time with me next visit to answer some questions. I am sorry to hear about your son,...I hope he is doing better now..thankyou for your well-wishes and take care!
do not let him leave the room without all your questions answered.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
You could have some nerve damage, too....and it will take a long time for you to feel "right" again....check with your doctor!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I was going to suggest some nerve damage too. Your foot may always feel like mush. Nerves can be damaged in such a way that they never send the correct messages to the brain.

It really hasn't been long for everything to heal. But advice to check with your doctor is very good.

Start your talk with him by saying, " Doctor, I really need some answers to a question." Do this FIRST. He is busy, and has other patients. Put your most important questions FIRST.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Some of the issue might be fear of reinjuring yourself. If the xrays show that the bone has all filled in and you've been given the okay to walk with the aircast, then structurally your leg should be able to bear your weight. But that doesn't keep your subconscious from remembering all the agony you went through with the initial break and the surgery, and wanting to make sure it never happens again.

Why don't you start small? Take a few steps with a walker or your crutches. Tommorrow, take a few more steps. Keep the walker within reach in case you need to hold on suddenly. If you weren't allowed to put any weight on it for several months, it's going to get tired more easily than usual and you won't be able to walk much on it at first. But if you walk funny and try not to put any weight on it, you're going to end up making your other foot sore. It's better to try to walk with a normal gait even if you don't do it for very long. Some cramping is normal too when you take off the aircast. I remember the first time I took mine off, my toes cramped up in such a weird position that it scared me.

I didn't break both bones, only the fibula, but I tore out all the tendons in my foot when I did it. I was in a wheelchair for several months and had all kinds of issues learning to walk on it again...but most of my issues were just fear that it would get hurt again by my walking on it.

I think the orthopedic docs are all very abrupt and rushed and don't realize why we're worried when it looks all better on the xrays...I've broken a few bones over the years and never once met an orthopedic doctor who didn't have that exact attitude.

If you really feel like you can't walk on it, maybe some physical therapy would help.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Hi, My mom fell at home as well and broke her Tibia last Friday night, she has 2 plates and a few screws. She was in the hospital for 4 days and is now in rehab. She is getting physical therapy 2 times a day and she has to use a machine that bends her leg up and down twice a day for 2 hours. She is 67 and she has never had a broken bone. The doctors are saying at least 3 months before she can put full weight on that leg. She still works full time and will be out for awhile. The break was pretty bad plus she had shattered bone fragments. The surgery took 3 hours. Not sure what an air cast is but right now her leg is wrapped and she has one of those bledsoe leg braces that allow you to bend your knee. I am sure everyone's recovery will be different. I am worried when she does finally go home because her insurance won't pay for full time nursing care so I will have to stay with her or she has to come live with us. I am fine with that but it's her decision where she wants to rest after rehab is over. She will be in rehab at least 3 weeks.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Sorry to hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness