Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times

Advertisements

This might be worth a try as it works for some of us with RLS and/or leg cramps at night. Get some magnesium and take before bed. Google dosage and decide how much to take.

Most of us are short of magnesium and its lack causes leg cramps--especially at night.

Best to take it along with calcium. Works for me.

Also, how much water do you drink? (not soda, tea, coffee, beer, wine) but plain water. Dehydration can cause some weird muscle effects.

Me, I'd try the magnesium and increased water fix and see if that might not cure your RLS and leg cramps.

This is an interesting discussion of RLS: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/173193.php

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 05-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: to add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,469,985 times
My Dad had given me an article about the importance of magnesium in diet several years ago, and I just re-read it. It's really amazing all of the benefits having the right level of magnesium in your diet can give you: everything from helping with migraines to irregular heart beats to muscle spasms to diabetes and PMS.

The article says that the recommended daily allowance of magnesium for adult men is 400 mg. Because magnesium can have a laxative effect, they recommend starting with a smaller dose and working your way up. They did state that is important to get the right balance between calcium and magnesium in your diet; your goal is to have 1 unit of magnesium for every 2 units of calcium that you consume.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,433 times
It feels like there is a mouse or perhaps a snake in the mattress beneath my legs (I told you it sounds strange!). ... Since then, I seem to get the feelings almost every night. It can feel like a pulsing or sometimes a bit like a tugging. It only happens in my legs and ankles, and only when I'm lying in bed, never when I'm up walking around or even when I'm seated.

... So for anyone here who has RLS, did it ever feel like what I described above?[/quote]

Hello there,

I had this sensation almost every night for about 6 months. I hate it. It feels like ghosts or demons pressing on my mattress and pulling on my skin and clothes. It happens when I'm awake too. Has there been any change in your situation? Is there any chance it's just the result of anxiety, or am I really feeling some kind of metaphysical phenomenon?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times
Best help for RLS is magnesium. My BF was struggling with it and had tried all sorts of things, including doctors meds, massage, and getting soused before bed. Turns out alcohol and high sugar intake just make it worse, especially right before bed. I got him some Magnesium from Jigsaw Health (because it's slow release and pretty high quality) and his RLS went away after three days of taking it. Might work for you. Everybody's different. But they have some good info on their site about it.

(Disclosure - not related in any way to jigsaw, just a happy customer)

... sorry. didn't read LittleDolphin's post before I typed mine. There you have it - two testimonials. Get thee some magnesium!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,433 times
Lin787 and Manyroads... Could you give me an update please? (Or You can email me at ilyfe444@hotmail.com).

I have had these same symptoms for months now and am very confused. I don't think something like a demon would behave in such a subtle way, but I don't know. I would love to think that it's something physical but I'm baffled. Any help or information would be excellent.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,469,985 times
Crummy sleeper - To be honest, it's been a while since I made my original post about the sensations in my legs when I'm in bed, and I don't remember if I tried using magnesium last year or not. I can tell you that for whatever reason, this does not seem to be a problem for me during the warmer weather months; it only affects me when the weather turns colder and I'm tucked underneath my comforter.

I don't believe in ghosts or demons. I highly doubt that there's any sort of supernatural force playing games with you when you go to bed. It could be anxiety related - and it's always a good idea to try to get some regular exercise a few times a week anyway - they say that regular exercise helps you sleep better. But it could be related to your diet too, so I would try taking the advice of R_Cowgirl above and get yourself some magnesium and see if that helps you.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 PM

676 posts, read 935,960 times
Default Rls

RLS, restless leg syndrome, does anyone have this problem ? My husband is 66 years old and this started about a week ago out of the blue. He is about to go crazy, that is all he can think about. Can anyone offer any helpful advice. He is not diabetic.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
RLS, restless leg syndrome, does anyone have this problem ? My husband is 66 years old and this started about a week ago out of the blue. He is about to go crazy, that is all he can think about. Can anyone offer any helpful advice. He is not diabetic.
Yes. My husband too. The doctor put him on Mirapex and he was on it for a few years but he thought it was making him sick and it wasn't working very well after a while. He had tried a couple of other prescriptions before but they had no effect at all. I told him he should go to the doctor and see if there was something else he could try.

We had tried magnesium for leg cramps without success and he was taking zinc piccolinate too.
Recently we upped the magnesium (ascorbate) and the zinc and now he is taking those two supplements and no more prescription! That's what he says anyway.

He says he's sleeping great and his legs are not bothering him. Before it was horrible--he couldn't even watch tv at night without suddenly jumping up and hollering about his legs. In bed he would be in agony. But now he says he's taking the magnesium and the zinc morning and night. I don't know, everyone is different, but the older you get the more zinc you usually need and most people are lacking in magnesium so it does make sense.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I take Mirapex generic for this. No problems so far but I have to remember to take it 2 hrs before going to bed.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 AM

676 posts, read 935,960 times
Thank you so much....I'll try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness