Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times

Advertisements

I found out today the results of a pelvic ultrasound I had a few weeks ago. I got a copy of the US from the hospital but have not seen my doctor yet. It said I have an enlarged uterus and a anterior uterine fibroid. It stated my uterus is 1.8 cm x 6.7 cm x 8.1 cm (whatever the heck that means) and the fibroid is 3.7 cm. Is that big? Has anyone here had a fibroid and what was their experience. Did you have a lot of bleeding or pain? What was done medically? I am 54 and so over all this. As much as I fear hospitals and surgery I'd just like to have a hysterectomy and have it all out. Anyone here have a hysterectomy in recent years? I hear they can do them through the cervix now, but not remove the certix. Anyone had that, and how much pain were you in afterwards and quick was your recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I was diagnosed with seven fibroids in 1998, my doctor made it sound like I needed a hysterectomy like yesterday, but I did some research and went to a different doctor. Mine do not bother me so I have done nothing about them. When I was having regular periods I did bleed in between them, but never had any pain. Now I am going through menopause and rarely have a period.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I am much like ILNC, had several fibroids, bad periods, lots of yuck. Then I began a rather early menapause and everything is okay now. Wait and see what your doctor says before jumping the gun.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 PM

218 posts, read 606,166 times
Good advice. Wait and see what the doctor says. A few months ago I had a three week plus period - what joy! - and it turned out it was fibroids. We're just letting them be since I've had no other problems and have pretty much stopped bleeding since - that deluge was highly unusual - sort of like the last four years of my cycle. I'm hoping that 3 week thing was my last hurrah. I'm very anxious for the "official" one year mark. I wouldn't rush into a hysterectomy. Also, it never hurts to seek a second opinion. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I had them for years and the bothered me. Mine were very large. My doc at the time refused to do a hyst and that bothered me more. I thank her now. I am fine, they shrink after menopause so just hang in there. I believe now there is other options on the table instead of surgery. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
A while back I had fibroids that were quite bothersome. During my period, I could never be too far from a bathroom, and once, I lost so much blood I nearly passed out and a co-worker had to drive me to the hospital. After discussing it with my doctor, I got a laprascopically (sp?) assisted hysterectomy. I was in the hospital for 2 days, then I rested at home for a few more days.

Like the other post mentioned, you can wait, and the fibroids will go away on their own when you hit menopause. However, if they cause you problems to a degree that you feel that you don't want to wait, then you might want to ask your doctor about laser surgery to remove them. Not all fibroids can be removed with laser surgery, but if your a good candidate for this, then the recovery time is shorter. This wasn't available yet when I had mine removed.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
There are several different options for Uterine Fibroids. It is best to discuss these with your physician. If a hysterectomy is the decision, get a second opinion. It may still be the decision but it is not to be performed hastily.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Well I have had problems for a year, it was just yesterday that I found out it was a fibroid. A year ago this time of year I bled heavily for nearly 3 mos. I am severely anemic now and despite taking iron twice a day and vit. C and eat more red meat than I was, I remain very anemic. I get cramping now and then and back pain. They stopped the heavy bleeding last year around Xmas time with hormones and I have not bled heavily since, but spot all the time since. I just figured I am 54, had my children, and am sooooo tired of all this female crap, so despite not wanting surgery I'd just like it all over with. I should also add I just had bloodwork done to test my hormone levels a few months ago and it showed I am not in menopause at all, ugh!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 AM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Well I have had problems for a year, it was just yesterday that I found out it was a fibroid. A year ago this time of year I bled heavily for nearly 3 mos. I am severely anemic now and despite taking iron twice a day and vit. C and eat more red meat than I was, I remain very anemic. I get cramping now and then and back pain. They stopped the heavy bleeding last year around Xmas time with hormones and I have not bled heavily since, but spot all the time since. I just figured I am 54, had my children, and am sooooo tired of all this female crap, so despite not wanting surgery I'd just like it all over with. I should also add I just had bloodwork done to test my hormone levels a few months ago and it showed I am not in menopause at all, ugh!
I would get a second opinion, maybe there is something else that they can do for you beside major surgery. That's kind of amazing that youf not in menopause yet.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:49 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I went through the same thing, and at some point it becomes a quality of life issue. For me, the heavy bleeding, fatigue, and backache was having a negative impact on my life, so that's when I talked to my doctor. yes there was some discomfort, but I havn't regretted my decision. Talk to your doctor and discuss the options. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness