Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times

Advertisements

My father in law was told he has an abdominal aortic aneurysm. They want to repair it in a few weeks so I'm assuming it hasn't ruptured since it's not emergency surgery. He lives across the country so we can't go to dr appointments with him. His last visit the dr made a comment that he can have kidney failure during surgery. Does anyone know about this? Is that common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 PM

102 posts, read 312,365 times
In case you don't know what an aneurysm is, I'll explain it briefly. An aneurysm is a weakened area in the wall of a blood vessel. In the case of an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm), this weakening occurs in the wall of the abdominal aorta. As blood flows through the affected vessel, the pressure causes the weakened wall to bulge like a balloon. If this weakened area gets large enough, it could burst, proving fatal.

It depends on what type of repair they are doing. If the aneurysm is very large, they will have to do an open repair where they make an incision and go into the abdominal cavity. If the aneurysm isn't that large, they can do what's known as an endovascular repair. In this procedure, a small incision is made in the groin, and a catheter is inserted in the incision (it goes into the femoral artery and travels to the aorta). A stent graft is advanced into the aorta, and then opened. The graft redirects blood flow, and stops direct pressure from being applied to the aneurysm.

During an open procedure, the aorta has to be cross-clamped, and this puts a lot of strain on the heart. There is a possibility that during this surgery, the kidneys could take a hit. Kidneys really don't like any type of heart or vascular surgery, and they can be affected sometimes. Usually the kidneys regain normal function after surgery, but it can take a while.

My grandpa had a stent graft placed, and his graft somehow managed to block blood flow to some of the renal arteries. His doctor noticed that his BUN and creatinine (both measure renal function) were increasing, and ordered some scans and further testing. Sure enough, the graft was the problem. It was an easy fix, however. He had another interventional radiology procedure, the graft was removed, another was placed, and he was observed over the next few months. His renal function tests came back to normal, and the graft remained firmly in place. Everything is fine now.

Every surgery has risks, and the risk of not operating is much greater than the risk of operating. I did ER work prior to nursing school, and I've never seen someone survive a ruptured AAA. They bleed out in minutes, and there isn't anything to do for them. I think the mortality rate of a ruptured aortic aneurysm is about 90%.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 AM

382 posts, read 804,180 times
It's a common surgery.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRNStudent View Post
In case you don't know what an aneurysm is, I'll explain it briefly. An aneurysm is a weakened area in the wall of a blood vessel. In the case of an AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm), this weakening occurs in the wall of the abdominal aorta. As blood flows through the affected vessel, the pressure causes the weakened wall to bulge like a balloon. If this weakened area gets large enough, it could burst, proving fatal.

It depends on what type of repair they are doing. If the aneurysm is very large, they will have to do an open repair where they make an incision and go into the abdominal cavity. If the aneurysm isn't that large, they can do what's known as an endovascular repair. In this procedure, a small incision is made in the groin, and a catheter is inserted in the incision (it goes into the femoral artery and travels to the aorta). A stent graft is advanced into the aorta, and then opened. The graft redirects blood flow, and stops direct pressure from being applied to the aneurysm.

During an open procedure, the aorta has to be cross-clamped, and this puts a lot of strain on the heart. There is a possibility that during this surgery, the kidneys could take a hit. Kidneys really don't like any type of heart or vascular surgery, and they can be affected sometimes. Usually the kidneys regain normal function after surgery, but it can take a while.

My grandpa had a stent graft placed, and his graft somehow managed to block blood flow to some of the renal arteries. His doctor noticed that his BUN and creatinine (both measure renal function) were increasing, and ordered some scans and further testing. Sure enough, the graft was the problem. It was an easy fix, however. He had another interventional radiology procedure, the graft was removed, another was placed, and he was observed over the next few months. His renal function tests came back to normal, and the graft remained firmly in place. Everything is fine now.

Every surgery has risks, and the risk of not operating is much greater than the risk of operating. I did ER work prior to nursing school, and I've never seen someone survive a ruptured AAA. They bleed out in minutes, and there isn't anything to do for them. I think the mortality rate of a ruptured aortic aneurysm is about 90%.
Thank you.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
My husband had a triple A....included not only the aorta, but the artery to his left kidney and down into both legs. His was in excess of 7 cm when found...very scary! His repair was done abdominally, using a dacron replacement for the bulging aorta and other arteries...not the stent. The stent is usually reserved for those who may not tolerate a big surgery very well.....we were told hubby's surgery is 2nd to a heart/lung transplant. A serious affair, indeed!

Aside from some incisional hernias following the triple A surgery, he's fine...good recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness