U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like needles or shots?
Yes 5 27.78%
No 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 AM

29,377 posts, read 53,415,985 times

Advertisements

I never did like shots or needles.

News, Researchers at Hewlett Packard Labs (HP Labs) have engineered a drug patch that painlessly delivers medications through the skin via tiny micro-needles. The technology is modeled after HP's inkjet-printer technology.

A single patch outfitted with hundreds of micro-needles could potentially deliver multiple drugs at preprogrammed intervals, without the pain and hassle of conventional needles. The company has announced a licensing deal with Crospon, a medical-device developer based in Galway, Ireland, that will manufacture and market the "smart" patch.

"There are a few patches out there for drugs like nicotine and fentanyl, very small and potent molecules that go across the skin on their own," says Samir Mitragotri, a researcher at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), who specializes in new drug-delivery devices. "They don't need any help. For these molecules, you can buy a patch and it can last up to a week. The problem comes when you try to deliver drugs that are large in size, or water-soluble. And those are the kinds of molecules for which we need to break the skin barrier."

A single micro-needle measures a couple hundred micrometers, a length that could penetrate the outer layer of skin, delivering a drug directly to the underlying capillary bed without triggering nerve endings located deeper in the skin.

ABC News: Say Goodbye to Shots That Hurt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 AM

4,271 posts, read 14,830,191 times
So we're printers now?

I have never been a big fan of needles - I always get whoozy when I see it but after helping my Dad battle cancer and all those blooddraws, I got used to it. I also used to work as a pharmacy tech and helped the pharmacist mix IV drugs ... poked myself a few times - now THAT'S painful.

I may be used to it now but I still don't like it! It's an involuntary reflex to flinch!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:07 AM

13,607 posts, read 5,164,952 times
That's very interesting though I'm not that afraid of needles. I always think if I look when I get a shot it hurts more because you're expecting some kind of pain and the muscles are clenching that's why I don't look so I doesn't hurt.

However the new method would be more to my taste!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 AM

I NEVER LOOK!!!!!!!!!

I gave blood once (my nephew needed it when he was born a pre-mee) and nearly lost it when my arm touched the blood pouch - it was warm! If it was humanly possible, I would've jumped out of my skin!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM

10,470 posts, read 24,293,239 times
I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles. lol
But at the dentist, if they stick me with the novacaine needle, i have to see it coming first, then i close my eyes. If i don't see it first, i usually almost jump out of my chair when it gets me.
Even though it doesn't hurt, i can still feel it going into my gums. I just hate that feeling.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,026,792 times
So do you think they are thinking about getting rid of lines? such hep-locks etc, for IV's, because I thought that most often when a person is sick enough to require meds given by injection, they will already have an IV line started anyways. I don't mean to have a negative outlook on this, this will probably work effectively for those who are on pain meds for Chronic conditions and insulin etc. I can see that. Are they coming up with a painless idea for obtaining blood specimens also??

Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,026,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles. lol
But at the dentist, if they stick me with the novacaine needle, i have to see it coming first, then i close my eyes. If i don't see it first, i usually almost jump out of my chair when it gets me.
Even though it doesn't hurt, i can still feel it going into my gums. I just hate that feeling.
I know it, I have avoided a lot of dental work just because I have overcome the big needle", they need to come up with something for when you're having dental procedures.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
they need to come up with something for when you're having dental procedures.
No friggin' kidding!!

I don't avoid dental procedures per say if I really need it but boy do I dread it! It's ok to cry when you're little but I feel like an idiot when I cry now! I can't help it!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 AM

10,470 posts, read 24,293,239 times
And that needle always looks like it's 3 feet long coming at you!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,990,233 times
hate hate hate hate needles. I was a needle breaker when I was little. The nurse hated it when I came to the office for my shots. When I had my first son I got an epidural, my husband and this big burly nurse had to hold me down so I wouldn't jump. Ick. I think it is a genetic phobia, my oldest son hates needles too. He is nearly as bad as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness