Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 148,050 times

Advertisements

I have a volar ganglion cyst on my left wrist. I have looked all over the web for information, but only a little scattered info. I have had this cyst for over ten years. At times it has been very painful over the years. But could never afford to see a doctor about it. Now I can and I see him on Tuesday. My cyst is directly over the vein they nurse takes y our pulse. I have read in some places they will not try to drain the cyst when it is there due to the main artery and nerves. In some places I read they will. I don't want this cyst drained. I want it taken out. How do I get the doctor to remove it? Any information would be appreciated. Oh and one more question. If he decides to surgically remove my cyst how long between the appt and surgery will I have to wait? About a year ago I had hip surgery and I had to wait over a month to have my surgery. And it was not successful. Thanks for any info on VOLAR ganglion cyst

By the way this is not my first cyst. It is my first on my wrist. But I seem to get ganglion cyst all over my body. What causes them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broussard34 View Post
I have a volar ganglion cyst on my left wrist. I have looked all over the web for information, but only a little scattered info. I have had this cyst for over ten years. At times it has been very painful over the years. But could never afford to see a doctor about it. Now I can and I see him on Tuesday. My cyst is directly over the vein they nurse takes y our pulse. I have read in some places they will not try to drain the cyst when it is there due to the main artery and nerves. In some places I read they will. I don't want this cyst drained. I want it taken out. How do I get the doctor to remove it? Any information would be appreciated. Oh and one more question. If he decides to surgically remove my cyst how long between the appt and surgery will I have to wait? About a year ago I had hip surgery and I had to wait over a month to have my surgery. And it was not successful. Thanks for any info on VOLAR ganglion cyst

By the way this is not my first cyst. It is my first on my wrist. But I seem to get ganglion cyst all over my body. What causes them??
I had a ganglion cyst in the exact same place as you do. I had had it for many years and it never gave me any problems. Then one day it became extremely painful and I made an appointment to have it removed. That was about seven years ago.

I don't remember how long it was between making the appointment and going into surgery, but it wasn't too long. How long you will have to wait will depend on how busy your doctor is.

Since I had to drive myself back home afterwards I asked them to not give me a sedative during the operation but to just use a local anesthetic. I stayed awake during the maybe 25 or 30 minutes it took to remove it. As best I can remember it didn't take any longer than that. The doctor cut a zigzag incision a little over an inch. The zigzag allowed the incision to heal more easily even though the wrist gets bent a lot. Of course at first you won't be able to bend it as your wrist will be bandaged and wrapped, and the doctor will want to see you probably about a week later, with a couple more appointments after that to monitor your recovery.

There was no problem in removing it and it has never come back. Now I don't know if this will happen to you, but for two or three weeks following the surgery my hand felt like it was being gorged with blood whenever I allowed my arm to hang down at my side, and so I had to keep it elevated even while asleep. And that was pretty uncomfortable. But that will pass. And the scar is barely noticable.

That's about all I can think of to tell you.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-10-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 12:45 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I think you will need to see a plastic surgeon to have it removed. I have a GC on my finger and my doc referred me to a p. surgeon next week b/c mine keeps filling up with fluid and is really near the surface and then I have to pop it with a pin to let out the pressure and I'm afraid that eventually it will get infected.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think you will need to see a plastic surgeon to have it removed. I have a GC on my finger and my doc referred me to a p. surgeon next week b/c mine keeps filling up with fluid and is really near the surface and then I have to pop it with a pin to let out the pressure and I'm afraid that eventually it will get infected.
I had mine removed by an Orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in hand surgery. But I suppose a plastic surgeon can do it since your Doctor referred you to one.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broussard34 View Post

all I can tell you is; hubby had one years ago and it, eventually just disappeared. I have a small one, it gives me no real trouble and I have had it for maybe 25 years.

Nita

Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM

91 posts, read 577,083 times
these type of cist on the wrist are caused usually by repetitvie motion.It is the joint fluid leaking out, so as to say.An orthopedist would be best but any Doctor can remove it if he wants to.The down side to having it removed is there is a 50/ 50 chance it will return over and over again during your life time. Sorry.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 AM

I seen a general surgeon Tuesday. He told me, 35.00 later, that he doesn't work on cysts of the wrist. I was a little ill. So when I got home I googled orthopedic hand surgeons in my area and finally found one who took my insurance. I made a appt for Friday. Which is tomorrow morning. The general surgeon told me that because of where it is it will have to be surgically removed. Hopefully it wont take long to get it removed. Ill post later about what the doctor says. It seems to be getting more and more painful everyday. I was thinking years ago I worked in a yarn factory running twisters. You have to tie weavers knots on the filament yarn when running those machines. So that's prolly the repetitive motion that could've caused it. I got out of that line of work years ago. I had developed carpal tunnel in both my hands from it. Now iam in school and do a lot of typing. So it hurts more now. I cant win for losing. Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited by broussard34; 06-14-2012 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: misspelled word.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Oh, the general surgeon was looking at my wrist Tuesday and he found a larger one that is flat on the other side of where the first one is. So will they take both out at the same time?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Ok. I seen the hand surgeon yesterday. He said there was no way he would even attempt to drain my volar ganglion cyst. He would've taken it off surgically but his wife is having a baby. Id hurt him too if he wasn't there. So he set me up for his very next surgery. Which is a week from Tuesday. Iam nervous about having surgery. Especially after everything he told me. Now ive got to get someone to take me.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 AM

58 posts, read 219,344 times
A neurosurgeon might be able to do it - I worked for a neurosurgeon who'd pick up a ganglion cyst removal (wrist) every once in a while, but he also specialized in carpal tunnel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness