Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times

Advertisements

Can someone please recommend a good memory foam mattress (other than Tempurpedic) that has no motion transfer & gives good support for neck & back? Was thinking of buying one that is 12inch or thicker, not just the topper but entire mattress made of foam. Found some on sam's club website & was wondering if I can get some feedback from people who have used this kind of mattresses.

I have always used spring, pillow top & developed chronic neck & back pain. Would like to try out foam with memory cells for better support & definitely no motion transfer. The ads seem too good to be true so need some real advice on which brand is best & affordable.

Somehow I cannot seem to find the right pillow either for good neck support. Tried tempurpedic pillow but that didn't help at all. Every pillow I buy seems too soft. So any advice about pillows will also be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I can't give any advice about foam mattresses, but I can say this: If you toss and turn a lot, memory foam probably isn't for you, as it conforms to your body as you lie in one position. It also sleeps "hot", from what I've heard. I recently bought a latex mattress that combines latex with regular springs. So far I really like it, but it was incredibly expensive.

As for pillows, I use a down pillow, and I'm constantly turning it over, because it flattens out too much where my head is, giving me headaches. I've thought of trying a Tempurpedic pillow or something similar, but the price has always turned me off.

Good luck, and I hope you get more responses, ones that actually might be useful!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
iComfort Sleep System by Serta ? The Revolutionary New Memory Foam Mattresses

We bought a Serta i-Comfort mattress 6 months ago and it's the best and most comfortable mattress we've had in 40 years. No coils, forms to your body, as you move it continues to follow your form, never gets hot like a Tempurpedic.
I'd suggest you see a dealer and try one out for your comfort. They come in soft, medium and hard. We bought the "Genius" model, it's the medium mattress that fulfills our comfort zone. It has a 25 year warranty, first 15 are 100% 10 are pro-rated and they offer a 90 day tryout return policy.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I can't give any advice about foam mattresses, but I can say this: If you toss and turn a lot, memory foam probably isn't for you, as it conforms to your body as you lie in one position. It also sleeps "hot", from what I've heard. I recently bought a latex mattress that combines latex with regular springs. So far I really like it, but it was incredibly expensive.

As for pillows, I use a down pillow, and I'm constantly turning it over, because it flattens out too much where my head is, giving me headaches. I've thought of trying a Tempurpedic pillow or something similar, but the price has always turned me off.

Good luck, and I hope you get more responses, ones that actually might be useful!
We have just the form topper and it drives me crazy plus it holds heat in like you said or so we have been told. I hate to buy a new matress but I don't know how many more years we will be able to sleep on what we have. It was given to us by our daughter when whe moved into her new home and the old owners left it for her. As for pillows, I am about to give up on them as well. It seems they are always too soft. I have tried cheap, middle priecd and what I could consider relatively expensive. On the other hand if I try to sleep on two I feel like I am at a 45 degree angle and if I fold one in 1/2 it is too hard. Hubby compalains as well, but not as loud as I do.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have both pillows and mattress from Tempurpedic and I don't feel hot at all. I think people have individual responses to it. The mattress took no getting used to although it took about 2 nights before I felt the pillow was comfortable. I like it so much I bought one to keep at my son's house in TX for when I visit.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 AM

221 posts, read 483,844 times
Which TP pillow did you use? There are few, some much higher than others. We use TP mattress with TP pillows. I prefer the high one as I'm a side sleeper. Might want to consider a body pillow also so not only you have the upper body support but also your legs are supported putting less stress on your back.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
I LOVE my tempurpedic matress and I just use a cheaper imitation foam pillow. My husband has a real brand name one,cant remember. Anyway,I will always have one! Cant stand any other kind of mattress. We live in a climate that never really gets hot so maybe thats why the warm factor doesnt bother me.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:37 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I bought the e/tra pillow at Bed, Bath, and Beyond so don't remember the brand. Think it was $99. The bed is a flexible bed from Relax the Back. The mattress might be thinner to bend with the frame.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Thanks for responses. Very helpful. I tried some over the weekend (iCloud, sealy) at a local store & could see the difference between foam & spring mattress. I definitely liked iCloud Serta.

I would also like to try tempurpedics since I am hearing so much about it. Which tempurpedic mattress offers least motion transfer? Last time i checked it was the cloud, unless they changed it. Please let me know if anyone has used this one.

I did find the ideal pillow at walmart past wknd. It was a foam pillow (not tempurpedic) with slightly raised foam to fit the curve of neck. Its designed for side sleepers to fully support the neck. I am loving it so far. I like it better than tempurpedic pillow which was 5 times more expensive.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I've tried lying on them, but they ARE hot! So, I'll just stick with a pillowtop mattress....much more comfortable to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness