Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,232,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Doc update:

He suggested I drink lots of water (duh) and stay away from chocolate, dark soda, nuts, and dark leafy greens.
My son had a kidney stone at age 14! They analyzed the stone when it passed. He was also told to drink plenty of water and reduce the amount of Dr. Pepper he drank (which was a lot.) That seemed to help. One episode with a kidney stone and he did not have to be told twice! Glad you are seeing a urologist soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,672,559 times
I had to have surgery to remove mine uggg! I'm on medicine to help prevent getting more since I'm at risk for forming more I still have more follow up visits to see if we can fix the problem
'

Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM

18,943 posts, read 43,375,869 times
I word of advice for anybody going in for lithotripsy..., make sure they give you some Phenergen for nausea. Once your ureters are inflamed (either from the stent or fragments), the vomiting can cause them to start spasming. Not fun!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,677,629 times
So true. I had to take a friend back to the hospital late at night after his lithotripsy. He had vomited a lot and was in extreme pain.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM

18,943 posts, read 43,375,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So true. I had to take a friend back to the hospital late at night after his lithotripsy. He had vomited a lot and was in extreme pain.
Same thing happened to me. I was on my knees vomiting in the ER lobby.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM

865 posts, read 1,481,405 times
I just had lithotripsy a few weeks ago, not sure how they disappear, as mine are STILL not gone and it has been months. I've had smaller ones that have passed before, and I just remember drinking LOTS of water. The poster who said a gallon of water was not kidding!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,406,129 times
Two weeks kidney stone free today

Hallelujah!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM

1,571 posts, read 1,997,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
He suggested I drink lots of water (duh) and stay away from chocolate, dark soda, nuts, and dark leafy greens.
At the same time, if you're at risk of diabetes, dark green veggies are your friend. They help to fight off diabetes, so I am not staying away from them. I don't have it and I don't want it. Chocolate, on the other hand, I really have to be in the mood for that flavor. I much prefer berries or citrus. But, it's been 25 years without any stones.... And counting. As for the water, my doctor says virtually any liquid. Milk, coffee, orange juice... It all contains mostly water, and counts toward my 8 16 oz glasses of water per day. Cranberry juice is even better.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
My husband had kidney stones and he drank a lot of soda (Coke). We stopped the soda completely and gave him magnesium to take every day and he was fine.

This goes along with what other people on here have said: it's the diet.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,676,975 times
I know this is an old thread, but I've had them several times. Almost two years ago after giving birth to my seventh child, I suffered with them for three weeks. I had no idea what was happening. Eventually they started getting lodged in my ureter. I was throwing up a ton and couldn't even nurse my baby. I went to the ER and finally had them extracted the next day. It was definitely the most traumatic experience of my life. Any woman who ever says giving birth to a baby naturally is worse than the pain of a lodged kidney stone has very obviously never had a kidney stone. I'd take natural childbirth any day (and I'm a wuss who had an epidural with six of them).

Anyway, I did a ton or research and found where magnesium along with B6 taken together aids in prevention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness