Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I've yet to know a doctor that admits certain procedures are painful. I was talking about this with a friend because of my upcoming surgery.

I can speak of my own father, who is a retired doctor. For him things can be 'slightly uncomfortable' at most, pain is always a patient's exaggeration.

I mean, I can understand if they lie about pain in the private sector. They don't want to scare patients away and lose money. I can understand if they say it to 5 year old children, to get them to cooperate.

But there's no point in lying to adult people, it's better if they are expecting it to be painful. It won't come as surprise. I've heard of stories of patients walking out of certain exams because they weren't warned it would be so painful.
Why do doctors deny anything? Why do they deny the patient is sick, without even administering tests? They do that all the time. Health care in the US is a fraud with the exception of emergency care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do doctors deny anything? Why do they deny the patient is sick, without even administering tests? They do that all the time. Health care in the US is a fraud with the exception of emergency care.

That's because medical training is a fraud in the US. All they do is "teach" them how does the patient feel, how do they feel, how does it feel to have feelings< etc, etc. I had to explain to a "doctor' there's a big difference between rheumatoid and osteoarthritis (which she confused with osteoporosis). Apparently all she was taught in medical school was that chronic dieseses have psychological impacts, which she got twisted around. Really, you put the horse first, then the cart! She just kept wanting me to go to counseling, to "deal with my frustrations and anger". Look sweetie, my "frustrations and anger" were directed at her, because she didn't know WTH she was doing! She wouldn't even write RX for the meds I had been on forever---instead told me I should go swimming. How could I go swimming when I can't even manage a walkin shower? DH helps, or I'd fall on my fannny! Oh, then I need to go to counseling to get over being dependent on dh. Look, she totally didn't get it, RA is a physical disease, not a mental screw loose! Later I called the arthritis foundation and requested they send her their literature---don't know if she got or read it!

But it is the fault of medical education in this country today. We're expected to think everything away, so, WTH are doctors good for, besides sending a bill!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

What makes you think ER care is so wonderful? I had a stroke, went to a stroke-certified ER, waited 4 hours without so much as a blood test---and NO they were not BUSY---they finally did a CAT scan, said the results were "inconclusive" and told to see a neruologist. Every neruologist in town was booked up for 3 months----I finally went to Houston and did NOT take that CAT scan with me---who's going to second guess a mistake?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's because medical training is a fraud in the US. All they do is "teach" them how does the patient feel, how do they feel, how does it feel to have feelings< etc, etc. I had to explain to a "doctor' there's a big difference between rheumatoid and osteoarthritis (which she confused with osteoporosis). Apparently all she was taught in medical school was that chronic dieseses have psychological impacts, which she got twisted around. Really, you put the horse first, then the cart! She just kept wanting me to go to counseling, to "deal with my frustrations and anger". Look sweetie, my "frustrations and anger" were directed at her, because she didn't know WTH she was doing! She wouldn't even write RX for the meds I had been on forever---instead told me I should go swimming. How could I go swimming when I can't even manage a walkin shower? DH helps, or I'd fall on my fannny! Oh, then I need to go to counseling to get over being dependent on dh. Look, she totally didn't get it, RA is a physical disease, not a mental screw loose! Later I called the arthritis foundation and requested they send her their literature---don't know if she got or read it!

But it is the fault of medical education in this country today. We're expected to think everything away, so, WTH are doctors good for, besides sending a bill!
So true. I'd like to see every Dr. in the U.S. kicked to the curb and replaced with foriegn talent.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
I've yet to know a doctor that admits certain procedures are painful. I was talking about this with a friend because of my upcoming surgery.

I can speak of my own father, who is a retired doctor. For him things can be 'slightly uncomfortable' at most, pain is always a patient's exaggeration.

I mean, I can understand if they lie about pain in the private sector. They don't want to scare patients away and lose money. I can understand if they say it to 5 year old children, to get them to cooperate.

But there's no point in lying to adult people, it's better if they are expecting it to be painful. It won't come as surprise. I've heard of stories of patients walking out of certain exams because they weren't warned it would be so painful.
abuse of pain meds, perhaps??

Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times

Yeah, what a good idea. Before I draw blood on a patient from now on I'll say "This might be really painful."

Being an adult age doesn't make a person have any of the characteristics typically associated with being "adult". I draw blood all day and while most of the patients range from not being the least bit bothered to just needing to close their eyes til it's over, there are still plenty who are great big babies about the whole process. I know it hurts but it's not that bad and you're not helping anyone by whining about it and acting overly dramatic. Telling them that it's going to hurt before sticking them would just make them freak even more and probably not let me get anywhere near them.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

Yeah, what a good idea. Before I draw blood on a patient from now on I'll say "This might be really painful."

Being an adult age doesn't make a person have any of the characteristics typically associated with being "adult". I draw blood all day and while most of the patients range from not being the least bit bothered to just needing to close their eyes til it's over, there are still plenty who are great big babies about the whole process. I know it hurts but it's not that bad and you're not helping anyone by whining about it and acting overly dramatic. Telling them that it's going to hurt before sticking them would just make them freak even more and probably not let me get anywhere near them.
This is exactly why one should never ask healthcare staff about the pain associated with certain procedures. The answers can't be trusted. Better ask someone who has actually been through something.

It would do good to medical staff to spend a few days in a hospital bed, to taste their own poison.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
So true. I'd like to see every Dr. in the U.S. kicked to the curb and replaced with foriegn talent.
Hm..the foreign "talent" here, tells me the same thing that the corn-fed-born-and-bred ones do, except they say it in an accent so thick I can't understand a word of it.

If I'm to be spoken to about my health, whether by a competent or incompetent doctor, I'd rather it be in a dialect of the USA. I can even understand an educated Australian accent, if they don't go too fast

Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I don't know where you folks receive your medical care, but I've had open-heart surgery to replace a faulty valve. I had a "pain ball" sutured into my incision that delivered some kind of topical anesthesia; and if I asked, I received a pain pill or a pain injection. And if the pill was given and the pain was still uncomfortable, I got the shot. When it was discovered two days after surgery that I had a Pneumothorax (collapsed lung), I was treated to a shot of morphine while the surgeon put in a chest tube. I can say I was never at any point in extreme pain.

I had a breast biopsy scheduled and was told to bring a driver because I was going to be given general anesthesia. My designated driver had to take his wife to the hospital because she was in labor. I went to the surgery appointment and told them that I was willing to have the procedure done with a local. Several shots of novocaine (or lidocaine or whatever) into my breast and the procedure was done and I was able to drive myself home.

I had surgery when it was discovered that I had colon cancer. Nurses would ask me frequently to describe my pain on a scale of one to ten. Every room in the hospital has a chart "What's your pain level?" and describes each level from one to ten. My pain was rarely above a six and generally around a four. I describe that as "discomfort".

As for blood work, I'm an extremely hard stick, require a butterfly and often a second person to change the tubes while the phlebotomist holds the needle in position to facilitate the blood flow. It is often painful. Especially when I encounter the occasional phlebotomist who insists on believing that what I tell them about my veins is of no consequence and proceed to stick me, miss, rotate the needle while still in my skin and elicit groans of anguish.

But no doctor who has ever treated me has left me in pain. Meds are always ordered to be given at the first sign of need. Perhaps because I'm pro-active as far as my health is concerned. Perhaps because I keep all my drama on the stage. Perhaps I've been fortunate enough to have found the six best-educated physicians in the country. Lucky me.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Adults are adults. They shouldn't be treated like that. They should have full knowledge of the procedure, incluing the pain associated with it. Then they can decided if they want to go ahead. Adults should be able to cooperate on their own free will.
I cn see your point, but from the doctor's perspective I'm not sure that any assumptions can be made about how you will prepare for a procedure that is likely to involve pain and whether or not you will be rendered irrational by the prospect of enduring significant pain.

The safe play by the numbers is to downplay the pain and, further, pain can be controlled to a large extent with medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness