Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I'm sure most doctors don't go around saying outloud that they do this. I have no doubt that the vast majority self-medicate rather frequently. As if anyone would dare to put a finger in a doctor. They're gods when it comes to legal troubles.
Boy doctor or girl doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A 5 year article isn't that old....besides there are many articles on the topic....I just picked this one because it was short and sweet. Google.

Just as I said.....doctors DO self medicate. The last time I needed an antibiotic for a sinus infection it cost me $177 to see a doctor at a clinic.....even though I KNEW what I needed.....I had to pay.....doctor's don't.

Now, as far as pain meds go....I am sure a doctor with an abscessed tooth would call a buddy to get a few pain meds right away instead of having to wait to get an appointment like the average person would have to do. Of course, he would also get himself started on antibiotics right away too....unlike the rest of us.

You and Virijat are clueless on this point.

All narcotic prescriptions are tracked....any doc or other provider with prescriptive privileges will not risk their livelihood to write a narcotic Rx for "a buddy". If there is no proof of a doctor -patient relationship, a documented note and plan a prescription for a narcotic can cost a license...this is a fact.

As far as unscheduled medications such as antibiotics, as I have already stated, not unusual nor necessarily inappropriate to prescribe for family members.

The AMA's stance on this subject:

"The AMA also cites certain examples of when it could be appropriate to undertake self-treatment or treatment of immediate family members. This would include emergency settings or isolated settings where there is no other qualified physician available. The AMA sees no issue with a physician providing routine care for short-term, minor problems; however, except in emergencies, it is not appropriate for physicians to write prescriptions for controlled substances (I, II, IV) for themselves or immediate family members. "
http://www.physicianspractice.com/bl...462168/2008141

Lastly, who cares about the point of paying to see a doctor in order to get a prescription while other doctors don't????

I have friends who are lawyers who have helped me out without charge for minor legal issues....I have a friend who owns an autobody shop who has fixed cars for me for nothing more than the cost of materials....thats just life.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sure most doctors don't go around saying outloud that they do this. I have no doubt that the vast majority self-medicate rather frequently. As if anyone would dare to put a finger in a doctor. They're gods when it comes to legal troubles.
In what country are doctors "gods"? In what country would anyone not dare "put a finger in a doctor(sic)"?

In this country doctors are routinely audited, charged and arrested for offenses inside and outside of their scope of medical practice....

Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You and Virijat are clueless on this point.

All narcotic prescriptions are tracked....any doc or other provider with prescriptive privileges will not risk their livelihood to write a narcotic Rx for "a buddy". If there is no proof of a doctor -patient relationship, a documented note and plan a prescription for a narcotic can cost a license...this is a fact.

As far as unscheduled medications such as antibiotics, as I have already stated, not unusual nor necessarily inappropriate to prescribe for family members.

The AMA's stance on this subject:

"The AMA also cites certain examples of when it could be appropriate to undertake self-treatment or treatment of immediate family members. This would include emergency settings or isolated settings where there is no other qualified physician available. The AMA sees no issue with a physician providing routine care for short-term, minor problems; however, except in emergencies, it is not appropriate for physicians to write prescriptions for controlled substances (I, II, IV) for themselves or immediate family members. "
Physicians and Self-Prescribing: Just Say

Lastly, who cares about the point of paying to see a doctor in order to get a prescription while other doctors don't????

I have friends who are lawyers who have helped me out without charge for minor legal issues....I have a friend who owns an autobody shop who has fixed cars for me for nothing more than the cost of materials....thats just life.
"Except in emergencies"......so what would you call an emergency? Do you really think a doctor would lose their license for a one time script for enough pain pills to last two or three days? I don't.

A doctor suffering pain for days waiting for a doctor/dentist appointment like everyone else does? Not gonna happen.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
In what country are doctors "gods"? In what country would anyone not dare "put a finger in a doctor(sic)"?

In this country doctors are routinely audited, charged and arrested for offenses inside and outside of their scope of medical practice....
I've only seen doctors sentenced for sexual assault. For the rest, they have more than enough money to pay for the best lawyers. You're assuming the legal system doesn't have any faults.

Otherwise most doctors that graduated during the 70s and 80s would have to be wiped out from the system, taking into account they were accustomed to reign supreme without having to give any explanation to anyone.

The younger generation of doctors are generally more careful.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
"Except in emergencies"......so what would you call an emergency? Do you really think a doctor would lose their license for a one time script for enough pain pills to last two or three days? I don't.

A doctor suffering pain for days waiting for a doctor/dentist appointment like everyone else does? Not gonna happen.
"Is" going to happen and does happen every day....

You have no logical basis for your opinion.

I have prescriptive rights and I would never DREAM of writing for narcotics for myself, a family member or a friend. I can guarantee none of my colleagues over the years would either. You have no idea the kind of scrutiny prescribers are under particularly when it comes to narcotic prescriptions.

Not only do I "think" a doctor would lose their license for a one time script for pain pills, I "know" it has happened....

Not to mention the fact that no pharmacist with any common sense will fill a prescription for a narcotic written FOR the prescriber and would likely question a prescription written for someone with the same last name and address as the prescriber....the pharmacists license to practice is on the line as well.

You can think what you want but you are mistaken....

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I've only seen doctors sentenced for sexual assault. For the rest, they have more than enough money to pay for the best lawyers. You're assuming the legal system doesn't have any faults.

Otherwise most doctors that graduated during the 70s and 80s would have to be wiped out from the system, taking into account they were accustomed to reign supreme without having to give any explanation to anyone.

The younger generation of doctors are generally more careful.
What a load of nonsense....

It isn't 1960 anymore....

Physicians haven't "reigned supreme" in about 40 years and are VERY accustomed to being questioned by EVERYONE from patients to insurers to administrators etc. Those doctors who graduated in the 70's and 80's have either adapted or left practice already. Most would be nearing retirement regardless...

Doctors are routinely sentenced for fraud, DUI, manslaughter, every imaginable crime....hardly above the law.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

On the other hand, my dentist takes a Valium before my appointments, and if its for more than a cleaning, two.
How bad of a patient are you ????

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
What a load of nonsense....

It isn't 1960 anymore....

Physicians haven't "reigned supreme" in about 40 years and are VERY accustomed to being questioned by EVERYONE from patients to insurers to administrators etc. Those doctors who graduated in the 70's and 80's have either adapted or left practice already. Most would be nearing retirement regardless...

Doctors are routinely sentenced for fraud, DUI, manslaughter, every imaginable crime....hardly above the law.
Yes, because patients are really going to control doctors activities. And it's fortunate that many of those 70s doctors have left. As healthcare got more widespread they just couldn't cope with not being able to treat patients like crap anymore. People realised that respect and professionalism should be expected of every job, yes, including doctors.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, because patients are really going to control doctors activities. And it's fortunate that many of those 70s doctors have left. As healthcare got more widespread they just couldn't cope with not being able to treat patients like crap anymore. People realised that respect and professionalism should be expected of every job, yes, including doctors.
I'm done with your nonsensical rants....

You have no clue what you are talking but you clearly have an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness