Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

I am a man in my mid 30s.

Since my late 20s, I have not been able to get through a night of sleep without having to get up and go wee at least once. Not once that I can recall during those years.

At first, it was not a problem. I would get up almost dead middle of my sleep, go wee, and then fall right back to sleep and wake up feeling great.

Now, however, I ALWAYS get up TWICE. Once in the middle of the night, and another time about 1 to 2 hours before I set my alarm. I almost never have trouble going back to sleep after the first time. Sometimes after getting up for the 2nd time, I am able go back to sleep, and all is normal. About half of the time though, I can't. Which means I end up getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep instead of my usual 7 or 8.

It's not making a HUGE impact on my life as I'm still able to get up and go through my daily routine with less sleep, but things could be so much better if I could just sleep my normal duration. I basically have a bad night of sleep every other day.

Does anybody else have this problem and how did they solve?

Last edited by jobaba; 07-04-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You could see a urologist to be sure there is no problem at work.

Another possibility is depression, which makes people wake up in the night. Then you realize you need to "go."

Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I am a man in my mid 30s.

Since my late 20s, I have not been able to get through a night of sleep without having to get up and go wee at least once. Not once that I can recall during those years.

At first, it was not a problem. I would get up almost dead middle of my sleep, go wee, and then fall right back to sleep and wake up feeling great.

Now, however, I ALWAYS get up TWICE. Once in the middle of the night, and another time about 1 to 2 hours before I set my alarm. I almost never have trouble going back to sleep after the first time. Sometimes after getting up for the 2nd time, I am able go back to sleep, and all is normal. About half of the time though, I can't. Which means I end up getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep instead of my usual 7 or 8.

It's not making a HUGE impact on my life as I'm still able to get up and go through my daily routine with less sleep, but things could be so much better if I could just sleep my normal duration. I basically have a bad night of sleep every other day.

Does anybody else have this problem and how did they solve?
At your age it probably means very little, but to be on the safe side you need to see a urologist. if for no other reason, peace of mind. I would talk to your primary care doctor and see what he/she says.

Nita

Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Yeah get checked out by a doctor.

I always wake up an hour or two before my alarm goes off too, but not to go to the bathroom, just because I naturally wake up early lol.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
I do that every night! I guess I am always drinking something, so that's bound to happen. Add to that moderate anxiety over the fact that I may not get back to sleep, and I don't.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Granted I am a girl, but I have done that my entire life. Twice a night at least. Sucks.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Do you drink close to bedtime? Maybe stop drinking a few hours before bed? I have to get up sometimes in the middle of the night, but not every night. If it's happening twice a night, then I agree maybe see a doc just to be sure.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I don't see it as a problem....anyone who's ever had babies gets up EVERY night...sometimes more often than twice...I still get up at least twice a night...sometimes just to let the dogs outside for 5 mins....I guess after raising 4 kids, it's something that has stayed with me.....if you're worried about the 2 more hours sleep you feel you need, maybe you could hit the sack 2 hours earlier?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Sleep doctors say that it's not the need to urinate that wakes you up, it's mild sleep apnea, and then once you're awake, your body produces extra urine, and that's what makes you have to go to the bathroom. It sounds like you should get a sleep study done. They may prescribe a C-PAP machine to help keep your airway open at night if you have apnea. Do you snore? That's a sign of apnea. Also, morning headaches can be a sign of apnea. Some people swear by those C-PAP machines, others hate them.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
I'm 60 and I have gotten up at least twice in the night to go my entire life. I think I have overactive kidneys and they just produce a lot of urine. It's kinda a double whammy for me because if I don't drink a lot I get dehydrated very quickly. Because of that I drink a lot of liquids and have to P quite often.

I'm lucky though because I'm a very good sleeper. I could easily sleep 12 hours a night if I let myself do it. Many times I don't even think I wake up when I get up and go, then come back to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness