Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,460,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
You sound like a wonderful husband. My DH is truly special (as are you). I also have scoliosis, spinal stenosis, spondylosis, RA and have had two strokes. The strokes left me paralyzed on my right side so the left side has had to overcompensate causing great pain.

I have tried everything - PT, water PT, massage (which feels great but I hurt again in two hours so not really worth it); hydrotherapy (hot tub)- feels wonderful but I have to be careful that my core temp doesn't rise drastically, huge amounts of narcotics,acupuncture (feels nice but doesn't last long).

I FINALLY after living with pain since I was 11 (I am now 46) have found something that works for me. I now have a pain pump. My pain is vastly improved (not gone but under control) and I am able to take substantially less pain meds as it is delivered directly to my spinal cord instead of having to be absorbed and then parted out. I am no longer depressed and life is certainly sweeter. This may not be the solution for your wife but it has certainly allowed me to more fully participate in my own life!

I hope that she finds relief- Bless you both.
I hope she can get that amount of relief someday. One thing I don't want to do is walk into her pain management doctor's office demanding or asking about other medicine. Her condition is complicated and I don't want to be a pest. I do go in with her when I'm off of work and try to ask questions about her condition and treatment as well as bringing up problems she has that she forgets to bring up. Though I remind her over and over again, she never writes down her problems as they happen nor the few days before her doctor's appointment. When I go to the doctor for a particular problem, I try to write down ahead of time all my problems and questions. For my problems, I try to be as detailed as possible and hand it to the nurse at check-in and she attaches it to my records for the doctor to review. It saves time because most of his questions have already been answered before he even sees me. I keep my questions with me to ask him/her in person. When in the doctor's office, many people get nervous and forget the questions until well after the appointment. Oh, and it's always a good idea to type and print all these things to make it easier for the doctor to read (plus spell check can be your friend).

Right now I'm not doing well. Though it was hot and humid, I cut the grass yesterday before going to work. 5,000 sq/ft yard, soft wet soil, and a push mower (not self propelled). Yard hadn't been cut in over 2 weeks due to rain. Not long after cutting, had to shower and head off to work at the hospital boiler room. Feel weak and my foot is sore from twisting in the mud. It's 1:45pm now and I still haven't eaten. At least the dishes are done. Wife's off at Walmart getting a few grocery items, and visiting with friends she knows who work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Good news. Her doctor just called back with the approval for water exercises. He's giving her a list of physical therapy centers that have water exercises which our insurance may cover since this is for medical needs. Time to go bathing suit shopping before they vanish from department stores and we're left with specialty stores and their prices.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Good news. Her doctor just called back with the approval for water exercises. He's giving her a list of physical therapy centers that have water exercises which our insurance may cover since this is for medical needs. Time to go bathing suit shopping before they vanish from department stores and we're left with specialty stores and their prices.
Woo hoo, congrats to you and your wife! I think once she gets past the initial awkwardness of showing up in a bathingsuit (and what woman wouldn't, no matter what their body looked like!), she'll let the water soothe her aches. Really - there's nothing quite like near-weightlessness to get you feeling your old self again.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
You can find brand-new name brands for about 1/2 price on eBay. I like a certain Jantzen style the is about $80 in stores but I get it for $38-42 on eBay. You can find much cheaper ones there, too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM

She went to her first appointment yesterday. They started off with an ultrasound to see which muscles need the massage treatment. They then worked her muscles with the massage until those points were relaxed. She said she felt great for about two hours afterwards. They said they'll continue the massage until those muscles relax and then begin the water exercises. She's had physical therapy massage before but they didn't do anything like this and it didn't help at all. She was excited to make her appointment for today. Instead of a bathing suit, she got those shorts with a skirt over them and a tank top exercise shirt with a sports bra. She's determined not to wear a bathing suit. Body image problem. Even when she was at a healthy weight and figure she still hated her body because of her scoliosis, the teasing of high school kids, and the pain her body gives her.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,869,309 times
Sounds great Dave....make sure she drinks water for 24 hours after her massage therapy....it helps flush out all the toxins.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Wife is getting worse. .... I'd just like to see her have one day without pain.
Boy, that is a hellish medical history! And, as others have said, you are one great husband.

Acute spine problems are part of my father's family genetics. My sister died from a malformed spine in infancy. I have had increasingly serious problems with degenerative disc syndrome, complicated by an accident that injured my spine.

I have had three of the "old fashion" bone-only fusions, a fusion with an implanted device, and three cervical fusions with bone and a retaining plate with six screws, more recently the scoliosis required major surgery with the implantation of two rods and twenty-some screws. Unfortunately, I fractured my spine after this last operation....I think it was due to some unwise movement too early afterward. It really screwed up (no pun intended) what had been a successful operation, and now I have to go back and have those rods taken out and longer ones put in.

In my case, the early surgeries allowed me to live a relatively normal life - I went out dancing until my late forties, and we were not doing the waltz! But the installation of the rods took a long time to get used to, though I found the discomfort tolerable...the fracture and the derangement it has caused in the previous surgery brought major pain into the picture.

Those are my credentials, so to speak.

I have been on a regimen of the drug Lyrica for several months, and will continue it up to the next operation. Afterward I will begin to withdraw, as withdrawal can be unpleasant and I want the surgery over, not ahead of me. I have found the Lyrica a godsend for "short-circuiting" spine pain. Never have found anything like it (well, there wasn't years ago.) It is not a powerful narcotic drug - I've been there, twice for a period of years. You do have to take it regularly, and beginning the drug and each increase in dosage if you need to do it will give you temporary unpleasant symptoms.

Some people cannot take the drug, but most find the initial difficulties only annoying and/or disorienting, but stick it out. I absolutely swear by it, but it did take me several weeks to get used to. I have so little pain that I would cancel the next operation were it not totally clear some real nasty deterioration is going on and does need to be addressed surgically. Lyrica is a pain-blocker, it does not cure.

I wonder if your wife has tried it. And if not, would she ask her doctor.

The web, unfortunately is full of forums with "horror" stories about why people could not/would not take Lyrica. Guys like me who have benefited greatly from it, don't make a lot of contribution to those sites it seems. I do know now that I take it that there or other people successfully taking it that I was unaware of before. I read your post and was just going to let it go by, but then I read it again and your wife is tough. And so am I. I think, if she hasn't tried Lyrica already, she would probably give it a fair trial before saying....I can't deal with it.

So, that's my suggestion. And whatever, good luck to her, and keep up the beautiful work.

P.S.- I do want to add that I have found a good mid to deep massage on a regular basis has been helpful, and so has accupuncture....it was the latter that got through the pain of the fracture in the spine.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM

She's tried Lyrica and it did nothing for her. Her therapy has added easy Pilates exercises for her to do there and at home. She says she does them before getting out of bed (she awakes long after myself). She's not home right now. Her and her friend went to their appointments and eat out together. While they're out I swept, mopped, installed insulation around the bathroom vent fan, and re-caulked the tub.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
Quote:
She's tried Lyrica and it did nothing for her. Her therapy has added easy Pilates exercises for her to do there and at home. She says she does them before getting out of bed (she awakes long after myself). She's not home right now. Her and her friend went to their appointments and eat out together. While they're out I swept, mopped, installed insulation around the bathroom vent fan, and re-caulked the tub.
Do you do windows?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Do you do windows?
I sweep, mop, vacuum, dust (though not as often as my wife would like), do dishes, clean the bathroom, change bedding once a week, clean microwave if food splatters, clean the stove, do or help with dishes, wash my own clothes and bedding (wife is picky about her laundry and towels). I don't cook because wife is very picky about how her food is cooked. Even when she ask me to cook something she knows I know how to cook she feels she must put her hands in the pots. But in some situations, I'll go ahead and cook for myself. I generally stick with the basic protein; catfish, chicken breast, and beef. Favorite way is olive oil in skillet, little seasoning on meat, and pan fry with lid on skillet. Another favorite is red beans and rice. Blue Runner brand red beans, sausage, chopped onions & bell pepper, and rice. Sauté onions and bell peppers in pot, empty can in pot and add about 1/2 can of water. Stir in chopped sausage (about one link per regular size can). Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer. Cook a pot of rice. We prefer to serve in a bowl. Rice first and then the beans. Another favorite is our version of a muffalatta. Go to the supermarket and pick up one of those fresh baked bread (usually French bread ). Also get a jar of olive salad, a variety of sandwich meats, and a variety of sliced cheese. Using electric knife, cut bread loaf in half length ways. Layer olive salad, meat, and cheese. Preheat oven to about 250 or 275. Put on baking pan in oven until cheese is melted and bread slightly toasted. Use electric knife to make diagonal cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness