Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,249,823 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm 57 and my wife is 58. We have lived in Colorado (Englewood and now Parker) for the past 4 1/2 years.
Last Sept. I had a hip replacement surgery done on my left hip. Last winter we started noticing more and more "muscle" pain coming on during the winter months here. Also, last winter my hip replacement didn't really cause me much pain, but with the coming of this winter, I'm starting to notice that I have to use an ice pack on the hip area more and take Motrin a little more for some pain.
Do you have the same problem??
We are seriously considering moving to a warmer climate like Fl or NC due to our "winter pains" we get now.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,881,742 times
I am almost 52, the husband is almost 54, we lived in Denver up until last November. I moved around a lot as a young person but basically spent the last 25 years in Colorado. Last fall we relocated to northwest Florida.
There is winter here, but it is very mild and short.
Colorado's cold (and aridity!) began getting to me about 5 years before we moved here. The last 3 years I had horrible eczema on my chest every winter, and painful cracks in my hands.
All that is gone now.
(A month ago, the husband was laid off, and we can't retire yet. We want to stay somewhere down South, but that's another thread.)

Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,325,412 times
We moved to Florida because the winters in Ohio just seemed to keep getting longer and longer. Sometimes we would still have to use the heat in June and because the line of work my husband and I were in, it got to be very depressing having to dress in multiple layers all the time. I love Florida because I love to swim and I love to bike ride. The humidity and the 90 degree temps in the summer can be too much for a lot of people though. You may want to also look at areas that don't have as much humidity (AZ, NM) because I do know many of the snowbirds go home in the summer just for that reason. Visit both types of areas and see what you think.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:24 PM

421 posts, read 465,648 times
Default Fl

I can only speak for myself but Jersey weather was killing me...i have a heniated disk and arth in my shoulder..i am 59...Fl has just about cured me!!! especially my pool, the warm water and exercise has soooo much helped me.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,568,419 times
I am only 39 but have arthritis in my lower back I currently live in ME and I have a little trouble in the extreme cold I wrap up a little tighter in that area. I also just purchased a heated vibrating seat for my truck It will keep me even warmer when I get in from the cold. My only concern is the humidity in summer it seems when the air is heavier moving around causes my arthritis to act up more however that just maybe me

Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, I'm 57 and my wife is 58. We have lived in Colorado (Englewood and now Parker) for the past 4 1/2 years.
Last Sept. I had a hip replacement surgery done on my left hip. Last winter we started noticing more and more "muscle" pain coming on during the winter months here. Also, last winter my hip replacement didn't really cause me much pain, but with the coming of this winter, I'm starting to notice that I have to use an ice pack on the hip area more and take Motrin a little more for some pain.
We are seriously considering moving to a warmer climate like Fl or NC due to our "winter pains" we get now.
What do you think?

My father had 2 hips replaced due to arthritis eating away at it. He could not move in NY, he was on many meds including blood thinners. He moved to AZ and he got rid of all his meds and was able to walk and do things he couldn't do in NY. He has since passed away but he was very happy in AZ.

I am concerned for myself, I am leaving AZ to NC and I hope it will be ok for me. I don't have arthritis now but I just had ankle surgery and my doctor said it could develop. Can anyone shed some light on Arthritis in NC? Good or bad?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:48 PM

96 posts, read 456,491 times
You people are scaring me! I've lived in S Fl for 50 years and hurt all over! I am on lots of anti inflamatory Rx meds but only get slight relief (spine, hips, knees, feet). I had a job transfer for one year to SC and thought I had been sent into the Artic Circle! I was bundled up looking like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in January. Some days I had 3 layers of clothing on. I would absolutely die if I had to move one mile north of where I am now.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 PM

702 posts, read 3,143,689 times
Unhappy Heat doesn't help me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What do you think?
I have arthritis and live in Arizona where we have many days over 100. Believe me, it doesn't help! My doctor agrees.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
My dad has arthritis in his hands and has to work outside sometimes (he's an electrician). The winters here in NJ were getting too tough for him, so he went to southern VA. He says it is much better, his hands don't bother him nearly as much.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I have arthritis and live in Arizona where we have many days over 100. Believe me, it doesn't help! My doctor agrees.

Sorry to hear that, my father was like a new person. He threw away his meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness