Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

Well my B.I. L. just called me and told me that he took my sister to the er for chest pains and shortness of breath and they left her sitting in the er for 12 hrs and he said that she wanted to leave she was feeling better and wanted to go home . Now who in their right mind would leave a woman who was having chest pains and shortness of breath in an er waiting room for 12 hrs ? If you ask me that hospital administrator is sorry and does a horrible job at running this hospital and it is the only one they have in their town . They are awful I have been there too with my grand daughter and we sat for 9 hrs , my grand daughter cut her foot and was bleeding all over the place . I cant believe they leave people sitting like this . Is there anyway to find out who to complain too ? thanks for any help you can give me as in regards to who we can complain . thanks everyone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Southwest Florida hospitals are like that, especially when the snowbirds arrive. There are also lots of poor folks that don't have insurance that tend to use the ER for routine medical care. Back in 2003, my ex-FIL fell in the shower and had a gash in his head. He sat bleeding in the ER for 6 hours before he finally gave up and went home. He had a neurologial disease and he eventually died of this but a blow to the head should have been a big priority, especially for him. Where I live now, in Knoxville, Tenn., there is rarely a wait in any ER, but we have a lot of hospitals compared to the population.

I would write to the head of the hospital. That information will be available on their website. Google the name of the hospital.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
That's awful. Some hospitals are just like that.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
The ER can sometimes be filled with people that don't belong there, but don't know any better. Many insurance plans have a 24 hour nurse line you can call and find out if you need to go the ER.

That said, it is no excuse to let someone sit for that long! At that point I would have walked into my primary doctor and said I am having chest pains.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
sorry she went through that and I hope she's ok. I would file a complaint with hospital administrator. If he/she doesn't know about it they can't remedy the situation.
I'm not that patient(no pun intended) or tolerant so I would have only waited an hour at the most. Then told em off and left. If that happens again don't do a walk-in....call an ambulance.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Well just and update my dear friends on cd : called the hospital administrators number and got his little snotty body assistant and talk about attitude . Maybe this is why the hospital runs so badly because she has an attitude and so does he and he does not want to hear what he needs to do to make his hospital run better . Boy did I let them have it in an email and I told him I would be very glad to discuss this further if he cared too . i told them Im not the only one complaining about this hospital my husband hears it everyday at work !! I think if you right letters and file complaints then and only then will things change . I just cant believe the attitude that some ppl give you !!! Oh well I will let you all know if anything comes of this but I feel better now anyways cause I blew off steam and vented LOL !!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The ER can sometimes be filled with people that don't belong there, but don't know any better. Many insurance plans have a 24 hour nurse line you can call and find out if you need to go the ER.

That said, it is no excuse to let someone sit for that long! At that point I would have walked into my primary doctor and said I am having chest pains.
If one is insured and has a regular doctor, one can usually page the doctor to find out if one needs to go to the ER. (That is what I did and I was still misdiagnosed at the ER and sent home and had to return within 48 for appendicitis operation.) But people who don't have insurance most likely don't have a doctor or nurse that they can call.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well my B.I. L. just called me and told me that he took my sister to the er for chest pains and shortness of breath and they left her sitting in the er for 12 hrs and he said that she wanted to leave she was feeling better and wanted to go home . Now who in their right mind would leave a woman who was having chest pains and shortness of breath in an er waiting room for 12 hrs ? If you ask me that hospital administrator is sorry and does a horrible job at running this hospital and it is the only one they have in their town . They are awful I have been there too with my grand daughter and we sat for 9 hrs , my grand daughter cut her foot and was bleeding all over the place . I cant believe they leave people sitting like this . Is there anyway to find out who to complain too ? thanks for any help you can give me as in regards to who we can complain . thanks everyone .
I am so thankful we live where we do: all 3 local hospitals have the same policy here: if a patient comes to ER with a possible heart or stroke concern or a true trama situation they are taken back and seen by a doctor within 15 minutes; all other emergancy cases are taken back with in 30 minutes, but of course, not always seen by a doctor as quickly, it depends on the systems and how busy the ER is. In NM it was similar: stroke and heart patients were taken to room and saw a doctor almost the minute they walked in. Others, did have to wait, sometimes hours if it was a busy, downtown hospital. When we lived in Texas, my husband had a stroke, he was seen the minute he was admtted to the ER. It wasn't a major stroke, but more than a TIA.

Nita

Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I have been to 5 different hospitals in two different states with different emergencies and in each was seen fast. In fact, it may be they were just empty at that time.

Once I thought I had broken a leg and was in incredible pain, one time was an asthma attack at 3am, and the last three were with various people in accidents. Good service and appropriate tests. Hubby got stitched up twice while right in the emergency room.

Big thing: I have good insurance and I dont believe any of the hospitals were local public hospitals.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
They should not have done that. Where I live most hospitals have a policy that if a person comes in with chest pains they are given an EKG immediately. I would definitely file a complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness