Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,017 times

Advertisements

Agave nectar is the best! I tried stevia but didn't like the taste then my friend introduced me to agave. It tastes really good. Agave is the best sweetener out there, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does this mean that the FDA believes that aspertame, sucralose, saccharine, etc., might not be dangerous to blood sugar, reproductive, cardiovascular and renal systems?
Ohiogirl81, just do a search on any search engine for "dangers of aspertame. sucralose, saccharine". That is how you can find out the truth.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:49 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Just as a general rule, its safe to totally and completely IGNORE any FDA warning about any plant put on this earth by nature that has been safely used by our ancestors for thousands of years before us. The Stevia Story: all about the herb that's sweeter than sugar

Sheesh you guys! Throw out your TOXIC other commercial sweteners and use Stevia. It tastes MUCH better than it used to and Stevia is WONDERFUL for diabetics too. It actually REGULATES blood sugar.

If you can tolerate the calories, Brown Rice Syrup is another sweetener that is expensive but it tastes great, similar to honey, that can be assimilated and used by your body --- unlike refined sugar.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
My favorite sweetener is agave nectar. I like that so much more than honey. So good! I also use raw sugar and honey.

As for stevia, i could never quite get used to powdered stevia, always that aftertaste. Then i found the liquid version. I buy the flavored ones. I first tried english toffee, then vanilla creme. The next flavor i'm going for is lemon. It comes in alot of different flavors. I use it mainly to sweeten my ACV daily drinks. Also great in oatmeal and as a pudding flavor when i make my soft tofu pudding.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
As for me I use sucanat, raw cane juice.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM

110 posts, read 609,079 times
Several months ago I decided to stop using all artificial sweeteners. I did some rather extensive research on the web and found that stevia has been used for more than 400 years with no known side effects. That was enough for me. A 400 year track record is not bad by my standards. Frankly, I am very dubious of the FDA. How many times have we read about previously approved FDA items causing all manner of harm?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
shonner wrote: I am very dubious of the FDA.

Being dubious of the FDA is probably one of the best things we can do to protect our good health.

Even though a 400 year track record speaks volumes to people like you and me, it means nothing to the FDA. If big pharma or some other special interest that the FDA represents wants to bad mouth something, it shall be done.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I have little trust in the FDA as well, but do wonder about stevia as it has such a terrible aftertaste! I also use agave and sucanot, but both are really expensive! Also use honey, especially in baking. I have NO artificial sugar in the house, maybe some old Splenda packets, never bothered me like aspartame did though.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
but do wonder about stevia as it has such a terrible aftertaste! I also use agave and sucanot, but both are really expensive! Also use honey, especially in baking. I have NO artificial sugar in the house, maybe some old Splenda packets, never bothered me like aspartame did though.

I agree....that's my biggest complaint about stevia, I do not like the gross aftertaste!

I'll have to look into this agave. But frankly, I don't need to have a 'sweetness' to drinks and I'm not a cookie, cakes or pie person...so I could do away with any kind of added sweetener for that matter.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Oh, citybythebay, wish I did not have those cravings! I love my donuts--bad, bad girl.... The agave is nice, has a light nonobtrusive flavor, and use in my tea and coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness