Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 04:03 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times

Advertisements

I was just released from the hospital after being treated for three days for an attack of ischemic colitis. On Wednesday I had to go to the emergency room for intense abdominal pain, vomiting, passing blood, and shock-like symptoms. It was very strange...I was fine one minute and in agony the next, with no warning or previous symptoms.

They did a CT and ultrasound at the hospital and said the inflammation was very 'impressive' and at first were recommending surgery.

They sent me home today after I proved I could keep food down and right now I feel pretty much fine, just tired. I see a GI doctor next week to set up a colonoscopy.

My concern is that my research indicates ischemic colitis is much more common in the elderly, with 90% of cases involving people over the age of 60. I'm 32, so I'm trying to understand why this happened. I have none of the risk factors like smoking or high blood pressure. I do have severe IBS, but I've successfully managed that for many years by diet and very rarely have IBS attacks anymore...I can't even remember the last time I had issues with it.

I NEVER want to experience that pain again. Has anyone else here gone through this at a younger age? Did they find anything else after a colonoscopy, like Crohn's? Did you have more than one attack? I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,215 times
Default I'm 50 years old and newly diagnosed

I had been having major pain and they finally did a colonoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. They have given me no information or guidelines to follow. Just said to come back in 6 months. I'm on my own trying to find out some information on what I should and should not eat. Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
PJJ, how did they determine it was ischemic?
That is very odd for your age group.
Do you have a fib or cholesterol issues?

Old 09-26-2015, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
I have just been diagnosed with Ichemic Colitis also. I am a healthy 47 year old female, no drinking, no smoking. I was out to lunch and completely fine one minute then drove home and ended up on the bathroom floor sweating profusely, diarrhea and dizzy. That night I developed bloody stools. The next morning I went to the ER where they did a blood work up, urine and iv and advised me to see a GI. I was able to see the GI the next day and without testing he was sure I had a IC episode. The next day I had a colonoscopy and the the biopsies determined IC was the dx. It will be two weeks and although I am not in pain I am bloated and still crampy at times. The actual blood lasted approx 24 hours when the attack happened. I am at a complete loss as to why this happened. My biggest fear is that it will happen again. The dr said the next step would be a blood clotting test. I'm wondering what percentage of people only end up having this as a one time occurrence. The week before it happened I took two separate doses of diflucan and one hydrocondone. HELP! I'm looking for any suggestions or experiences re ischemic colitis.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melamina View Post
I have just been diagnosed with Ichemic Colitis also. I am a healthy 47 year old female, no drinking, no smoking. I was out to lunch and completely fine one minute then drove home and ended up on the bathroom floor sweating profusely, diarrhea and dizzy. That night I developed bloody stools. The next morning I went to the ER where they did a blood work up, urine and iv and advised me to see a GI. I was able to see the GI the next day and without testing he was sure I had a IC episode. The next day I had a colonoscopy and the the biopsies determined IC was the dx. It will be two weeks and although I am not in pain I am bloated and still crampy at times. The actual blood lasted approx 24 hours when the attack happened. I am at a complete loss as to why this happened. My biggest fear is that it will happen again. The dr said the next step would be a blood clotting test. I'm wondering what percentage of people only end up having this as a one time occurrence. The week before it happened I took two separate doses of diflucan and one hydrocondone. HELP! I'm looking for any suggestions or experiences re ischemic colitis.

This Mayo Clinic site gives a muti-page summary of Ichemic Colitis.
Ischemic colitis - Mayo Clinic

My hubby has chronic colitis (but not ichemic.) The above site may help you to know what questions to ask the doctor.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
Thank you! I will check it out.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:29 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Bumping this thread. I've had a couple admissions in the past six months due to IC. Any experience particularly around diet would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
[url]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3974540/[/url]

I have inc a article i just found recently out of hospital after 3rd attack ..i had no issues until after my colonoscopy...The hospital kept having the doc who did procedure do more tests on me...This article proves colonoscopy performed incorrectly caused the ischemic colitis..The hospital looked at me like i was nuts..i kept sayinh i was fine until right after colonoscopy,..ischemic colitis was caused from my colonoscopy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness