Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times

Advertisements

On the flip side I live in Rochester, MN, home of Mayo Clinic, and see quite a few foreign born people flying in to have their medical taken care of here at the clinic. I guess where you go all depends on what is wrong., but it's not just Americans going overseas for medical treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 01:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
molochai2580 wrote:
On the flip side I live in Rochester, MN, home of Mayo Clinic, and see quite a few foreign born people flying in to have their medical taken care of here at the clinic. I guess where you go all depends on what is wrong., but it's not just Americans going overseas for medical treatments.
Just like the grass being greener on the other side of the fence, medicine is better on the other side of the border. For americans anyway, medical treatment is less costly on the other side of the border.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
The FIRST AND FOREMOST thing you should consider is that you DON'T know, legally, what recourse you have against a foreign practitioner if something were to go wrong...and you would be way behind the 8-ball in terms of health and money if it did.

I am thinking about Argentina, in particular, as a destination for plastic surgery, since they really like that stuff that down there.

None of us want to think about things going wrong, but you cannot overlook this. Period.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The FIRST AND FOREMOST thing you should consider is that you DON'T know, legally, what recourse you have against a foreign practitioner if something were to go wrong...and you would be way behind the 8-ball in terms of health and money if it did.

I am thinking about Argentina, in particular, as a destination for plastic surgery, since they really like that stuff that down there.

None of us want to think about things going wrong, but you cannot overlook this. Period.

You're right and I would never go anywhere without researching.

The reason I said Germany is because I actually met someone that had 4 levels of her back done there. They use artifical disk replacement, web site is Artificial disc replacement surgery at Stenum Hospital Germany, lumbar disc replacement, cervical disc replacement, previous fusion ok, multi level, cervical ADR, leading surgeons, Maverick, maverick Disc, Spinal Kinetics, Charite disc, SB Charite, P if anyone is interested. They use the Maverick disk (IIRC) which does not fuse the spine but keeps it flexible.

The girl I met thought nothing of walking fast & plopping her butt down to sit, things I can not do. It was very impressive and would be worth the $30,000 to me had I not already been fused without rods.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
My GP and dentist are in Thailand.
Gives me an excuse to go there, the prices are reasonable and the work if great.

I would trust them for any and all cosmetic surgery, they are the world's foremost practitioners of sex reassignment surgery.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:48 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,791 times
My wife went abroad for dental treatment. She went through a medical tourism facilitator (Medical tourism in India, Medical tour India, Health tourism) who arranged her travel, hotel, private car, dentist appt, post followup, etc.
The cost of her dental treatment came out to only $265 (where it would have cost over $5000K here in USA). The dentist who took care of her actually trained and worked in the USA for years before going abroad to practice.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,993 times
A quick follow-up on medical tourism. All you need to know:

Medical tourism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-06-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
I've heard that the best hospitals outside of the U.S. that don't charge tens of thousands of dollars for routine tests are in SE Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness