Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM

368 posts, read 928,629 times

Advertisements

I was told that I have undigested proteins floating around in my system which is causing full body inflammation, soreness in my joints, etc. Xrays show no signs of arthritis and since I have a history of inflammatory bowel and "scattered diverticulosis", leaky gut seems to be one theory. It was even my chiropractor who told me that I probably am hardly absorbing any of the supplements I'm taking and suggested I start taking digestive enzymes. I have to admit, I've been taking a heavy-duty "hair, skin nails" vitamin for a month and I see no change in my hair or my weak, thin nails. He said I need to take liquid vitamins instead of pills, but when I've tried those, I am running to the bathroom several times a day because my stomach gets so upset.

Any recommendations for how to get nutrients in my system - High absorption gels instead of those horse pills? Biotin lozenges? I am eating a low-sugar, low-carb diet (most of the time) and gluten-free since my GI said I had signs of Celiac as well. It seems as if my tummy is a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I think a gastroenterologist would be better able to direct you than a chiropractor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM

368 posts, read 928,629 times
I would agree. The chiropractor is a nutritionist too - although he has done wonders with my back and neck so far, I think I'll look to the GI. It's just that I have no real gastro symptoms to tell the GI - my gut seems ok, but I have stiff and somewhat painful joints, feeling sore in the morning when I haven't exercised, and frankly too fatigued physically to exercise. Part of it is my painful back and neck but despite my eating healthy, it's not having the results I thought it would (feeling more energy in particular which happened the last time when I switched to a Paleo/gluten-free diet). The full body inflammation feeling is becoming a real problem.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Go to an internist. Use to be a chiro put your back in place. Period. Now they are nutritionists which adds greatly to their bottom line when they sell you the nutrients. Run away.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I was told that I have undigested proteins floating around in my system which is causing full body inflammation, soreness in my joints, etc. Xrays show no signs of arthritis and since I have a history of inflammatory bowel and "scattered diverticulosis", leaky gut seems to be one theory. It was even my chiropractor who told me that I probably am hardly absorbing any of the supplements I'm taking and suggested I start taking digestive enzymes. I have to admit, I've been taking a heavy-duty "hair, skin nails" vitamin for a month and I see no change in my hair or my weak, thin nails. He said I need to take liquid vitamins instead of pills, but when I've tried those, I am running to the bathroom several times a day because my stomach gets so upset.

Any recommendations for how to get nutrients in my system - High absorption gels instead of those horse pills? Biotin lozenges? I am eating a low-sugar, low-carb diet (most of the time) and gluten-free since my GI said I had signs of Celiac as well. It seems as if my tummy is a mess.

You need to find out what is CAUSING the problem. Otherwise you are just sticking a bandaid on the problem and it will never resolve, in fact it will get worse over time.

I would consult a naturopathic or holistic doctor and find out what is going on. My guess is that your system is acidic and you need to reduce the consumption of processed foods. Just because your diet is low-carb and low-sugar does not mean it is healthy.

2yrsinBranson

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I've heard that L-glutamine and slippery elm are wonderful repair substances for the intestines and it sounds like eating gluten free will be a great step for you but I've heard that it can take months to repair after you stop the gluten so be patient.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Go to an internist. Use to be a chiro put your back in place. Period. Now they are nutritionists which adds greatly to their bottom line when they sell you the nutrients. Run away.

I couldn't agree more. Most chiros are quacks..they try to sell you crap you don't need. Just adjust my back and leave the rest to me.

I love how they do this.... "hold your arms out, while holding this bottle of SuperDuper Pills.... I can't push your arms down!!! OMG!!!! O....M......G!!!! This stuff is great you need it and you need it now!!!! Now, lets try it again but this time leave your hands empty....see the difference???!!! I can push your hands down..you're weak without those pills....you need to buy them now and if you do buy them now, they will only cost $99!!!!! What a deal right???!! oh, wait...you need these MegaAwesome Pills to go along with the SuperDuper ones.......Ill give you a deal...both for $150!!!" ::::::big ass cheesy smile::::::

Give me an f'ing break.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I couldn't agree more. Most chiros are quacks..they try to sell you crap you don't need. Just adjust my back and leave the rest to me.

I love how they do this.... "hold your arms out, while holding this bottle of SuperDuper Pills.... I can't push your arms down!!! OMG!!!! O....M......G!!!! This stuff is great you need it and you need it now!!!! Now, lets try it again but this time leave your hands empty....see the difference???!!! I can push your hands down..you're weak without those pills....you need to buy them now and if you do buy them now, they will only cost $99!!!!! What a deal right???!! oh, wait...you need these MegaAwesome Pills to go along with the SuperDuper ones.......Ill give you a deal...both for $150!!!" ::::::big ass cheesy smile::::::

Give me an f'ing break.
I love it. That is exactly what happens.

I once worked with a guy that was an engineer. He thought he was the smartest guy in the room. His wife would drag him to this chiro/nutritionist/snake oil salesman. They would have their ph or acidity tested. Something you do with the soil. Crazy stuff. He was buying the most ridiculous things and telling us that we were neglecting our health by not throwing our money at this witch doctor. I see it on here a lot. On the forum. People that read too much or pay money to these quacks and then think they are medical doctors. They give out some very bizarre advice. It's one thing to research and take supplements on your own but these people should be banned. It's getting so out of control that I wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, it is their money to spend.

I surely would love to find a "normal" chiro, though. I swear that is why those inversion contraptions are gaining in popularity. People are trying to put their backs in place without all the hoopla.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I love it. That is exactly what happens.

I once worked with a guy that was an engineer. He thought he was the smartest guy in the room. His wife would drag him to this chiro/nutritionist/snake oil salesman. They would have their ph or acidity tested. Something you do with the soil. Crazy stuff. He was buying the most ridiculous things and telling us that we were neglecting our health by not throwing our money at this witch doctor. I see it on here a lot. On the forum. People that read too much or pay money to these quacks and then think they are medical doctors. They give out some very bizarre advice. It's one thing to research and take supplements on your own but these people should be banned. It's getting so out of control that I wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, it is their money to spend.

I surely would love to find a "normal" chiro, though. I swear that is why those inversion contraptions are gaining in popularity. People are trying to put their backs in place without all the hoopla.
I have back issues (scoliosis, stenosis, compression to name a few things) and have been to many different chiros in my life. Like anything, there are good ones, not-so-good ones and downright shysters. Fortunately, I do have a good one that I like (a lady chiro) and she helps me a lot. She does get into some alternative stuff like nutrition, supplements, etc. but I just told her I wasn't interested in that and she doesn't push it on me. I go in for an adjustment when I feel like I need one (no pressure from her to come in more often) and also get an occasional deep tissues massage from the excellent therapist on staff. This keeps my back and spine in the best and most mobile shape it can be in considering my issues and have no regrets about it. It is important to find a good chiro, though, I can't stress that enough.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM

I should clarify. I don't mean posters on here should be banned. I meant chiropractors that sell these supplements. They should at least be regulated. Manufacturers can't sell a lot of supplements without the backing for their claims but it seems chiros can say whatever they want and get away with it.

I went to a chiro a few years ago on the advice of a friend. She tried that stuff on me, too. Tried to sell me supplements. I take supplements. But I can buy them at a store for a fraction of the price. She had a table to lay on that was from the dark ages, I swear. Terrible. The massage chairs for shampoos at my local salon do a better job. And then she tried to bill me and my insurance company. Not the initial bill. She actually sent it to collections. Until I pushed back and then the office mysteriously dropped it like it was hot.

These people are pitiful.

Truly, when my parents when to a chiro back in the 60s, 70s and 80s he didn't do all of these crazy things. They were in and out of that office. My father would crawl in, sometimes, and then walk out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness