U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM

17 posts, read 85,736 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 years old and have scoliosis that is at 45% curve right now - I was told that at some point I will need surgery. Has anyone had the corrective surgery for it - and if so - what am I in for? I am thinking that if it really needs to be done better now when I'm younger and don't have kids. I'm just worried about the aftermath - the healing time and all of that.... any stories would be great! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 PM

436 posts, read 743,096 times
sciolosis surgery is never easy to face. BUT- the results, in the right hands, are usually good. You really need to talk to one of the following:

1. neurosurgeon- one who specializes in surgery of the brain and spinal cord.

2. orthopedic surgeon specializing in spinal surgery. This is a physician who is an orthopedic surgeon, having taken a fellopwship in spinal surgery. Usually, these people restrict their proficiency toconditioons of the spine and correction of its problems.

In any case, be certain to look for a board certified surgeon in that specialty.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,834,401 times
I had a physical therapist that told me to never get back surgery. People who do come in an complain that they are in worst pain. He said that hip, shoulder, and knee surgery work, but not back.

Being 28, why not try a chiropractor?

By the way I am 65 and have had it all my life. It has not bothered me, except to say that one vertebrae in my neck fused together and causes me headaches, and I now wish I had been to chiropractors when I was younger. I don't think the fusion is from this condition though because it is actually a bone spur--arthritis.

Anyway, this was just one man's opinion, a physical therapist. Ask many doctors about this and read up on it before making a decision.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-05-2007 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,904,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor View Post
I'm 28 years old and have scoliosis that is at 45% curve right now - I was told that at some point I will need surgery. Has anyone had the corrective surgery for it - and if so - what am I in for? I am thinking that if it really needs to be done better now when I'm younger and don't have kids. I'm just worried about the aftermath - the healing time and all of that.... any stories would be great! Thanks!
In my experience, that surgery is performed when you're a kid, unless it's affecting your quality of life, health, and/or reproductive possibilities. I'd definitely get another opinion by someone board certified, as Eddie suggested, and a physiologist (MD).

Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM

7,101 posts, read 26,270,291 times
I was 63 years old when I decided that I couldn't put up with it any longer. My spine has been fused all the way from the lower back ribs down into the pelvis. I also have rods in to reinforce the bone grafts. It has been very sucessful and I walk and look normal. The only thing I can't do is to flex my back backwards (that doesn't sound just right, but I can't think of any other thing to say) It's very nice to live without pain.

Now, at your age, unless you are having a lot of pain, I think I would put it off. Why? Because you want children. I can't pick up things from the front (like babies) without losing my balance. The muscles just can't adjust naturally. Anything heavy, I have to pick up sideways, not from the front. You may be different. Ask your doctor. I can't imagine a pregnancy with all that weight in front. I would have fallen flat fall on my face.

So hurry up and have those babies. Then when they get big enough that you don't have to lift them, think about the surgery if you need it.

When You pick a surgeon, ask him/her to let you talk to some of his other patients. A good one would will be glad to let you talk to several. I had an orthopedist that is respected all over our state for his skill in spinal surgery.

Good Luck.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 PM

436 posts, read 743,096 times
"I had a physical therapist that told me to never get back surgery."

Oh, most certainly- the word of a physical therapist is so much better than that of a spinal surgeon. NOT!

Contrary to the well informed therapist, multitudes of quite successful back surgeries are done on a daily basis in this country. The degree of success is based upon the condition of the patient and the skills of the surgeon.

Scoliosis is not something left to the chiropractor. People with ths problem need a medical doctor to look for corrective measures- not a spinal manipulator. I am not a fan of chiropractic and their spinal "adjustments" particularly in the cervical (neck) region. There are far too many very important structures in the neck and cranial base area which can be damaged by manipulation.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:31 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,834,401 times
A physical therapist sees people after surgery, and they have dealt with all types of surgeries. I am just reporting what was said to me. My mother-in-law and back surgeries and was a mess, but she had to keep having them to try to correct the mess. All I am saying is to be careful and to get a lot of opinions.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:43 AM

True, very true. There are a lot of botched surgeries. And many of them are caused by the patient not doing exactly what was told them. I am thinking of one case done by the same doctor as did mine. We were told NOT to sit except for meals and on the toilet for the first three months. She went on two long car trips and one flight of several hours. Instead of having a bed downstairs to avoid climbing steps, she decided that just going up once or twice a day wouldn't make all that much difference. I don't think she wore her brace all the time until she healed either.

Needless to say, she was a mess and her husband wanted to sue the doctor. I told her that I would be glad to testify for the doctor about how foolish she had been.

And he had another one with poor results. She just couldn't stand to see her housework not done. So, yep, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming as usual. She felt fine, and didn't think just that little bit of activeity would matter. When the pain started, she ignored it and kept on with her housework.

Just a couple of examples of what not to do if you ever do decide to have it done. Be prepared to be waited on and ignore the house. Walking, standing straigth, is encouraged. If you aren't a milk drinker, start now. You need good bones for a sucessful outcome.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,755,841 times
where is your curvature?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Oh Gee, I used to know all the terms!! the curve was to the left from the lower back ribs to the pelvis. At the outer edge of the curve, the vertebra had sort of mashed together, then as it swung back, one vertebra had pulled away from another and slid over 1/2 inch and my spinal cord was compressed between the two. The angle had gone from 21 degrees to 45 degrees in less than two years. Damage was being done to the nerves in my legs and feet. I couldn't take a deep breath and I don't even want to think about the pain. I think you could say that I was falling to pieces!

I think I had let it go on much longer than was wise. As he told me, he didn't know when it would happen, but I was going to lose the use of my legs and control over my bladder and bowels because of the compression of the spinal cord. Not a happy thought!!! I decided that I had put it off long enough. I don't think this happens in every case.

The thing was that up until about two years before, I could manage. The pain had been bad from time to time, but I could manage to do anything I wanted to. Those last two years were out of this world!! and it happened rapidly.

I think you will know when it MUST be done to protect your legs, etc. Until you are sure, follow you doctors advice and even get a second opinion if you aren't totally content with what he says.

And wouldn't you just know it.......I had an extra vertebra that made things a little worse. But hey!!! I ended up about 2 inches taller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness