Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM

51 posts, read 264,887 times

Advertisements

Can I not agree to be scanned by this cancer causing machines? What if I say 'no'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,754,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
Can I not agree to be scanned by this cancer causing machines? What if I say 'no'?
TSA has much power and authority. I personally don't push their buttons and I do as they say. If you refuse I'm sure they will frisk you personally. They also have a holding room they take people to.
I've seen them take people aside and go through their luggage,etc.
They scanned my purse once then asked if they could go through it. I said of course.

I would simply do as they ask or drive where you need to be.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
If they ask you to go through a full body scan, and you refuse, they'll just do a manual check in a private room. It takes longer, and you might miss your plane, and they're not responsible for getting you on the next flight out if you do, or the cost of a replacement ticket. But you have that right, to be checked manually. I'd recommend getting there *another* hour earlier than you had already planned on, to accommodate that step that you're asking them to take on your behalf.

Also, a manual check is much more invasive, because - they're putting their hands on you, head to toe. It's not just the quickie frisk you see in the movies (but it also isn't a body cavity search so you shouldn't have to worry about *that* kind of invasion).

Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times
I don't understand the problem. The scan takes less than 10 seconds! A patdown can take nearly an hour if they don't have someone readily available.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Don't breathe the air at an airport, either, jet fumes cause cancer.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-02-2012 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
I was just reading about this today here. According to that article, many of the scanners are just metal detectors, which should not pose a problem. You could ask at the airport. But some are apparently "backscatter" machines that use low-level X-ray. I would mostly worry about this during pregnancy and certainly opt for the pat down if pregnant.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 37,213 times
what if it's against your religion? both by machine and by person

Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 AM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierMobius View Post
what if it's against your religion? both by machine and by person
Walk, drive?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM

51 posts, read 264,887 times
thank you all. Next time I will ask for personal search.

I've read a few articles that compare these scans to x-rays and tomography, and this is the same type of radiation. As far as I know car fumes are not as carcinogenic as radiation, the radiation is worst thing out there. It is documented how x-rays, tomography and MRIs are cancer-friendly, read that:

Medical imaging radiation causes DNA damage and cancer; doctors prescribe more!

And the radiation from these is no different than the one one from body scanners.

Radiation doctor says TSA naked body scanners can cause cancer

If you are genetically prone to developing a cancer, the radiation will help you do that sooner, no doubt about that.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
thank you all. Next time I will ask for personal search.

I've read a few articles that compare these scans to x-rays and tomography, and this is the same type of radiation. As far as I know car fumes are not as carcinogenic as radiation, the radiation is worst thing out there. It is documented how x-rays, tomography and MRIs are cancer-friendly, read that:

Medical imaging radiation causes DNA damage and cancer; doctors prescribe more!

And the radiation from these is no different than the one one from body scanners.

Radiation doctor says TSA naked body scanners can cause cancer

If you are genetically prone to developing a cancer, the radiation will help you do that sooner, no doubt about that.
Those articles are chicken little based hysteria that cite blogs. I wouldn't trust those authors any more than I would trust the TSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness