U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,352,231 times

Advertisements

STANFORD, Calif. —...........

"There isn't much difference between organic and conventional foods, if you're an adult and making a decision based solely on your health," said Dena Bravata, MD, MS, the senior author of a paper comparing the nutrition of organic and non-organic foods, to be published in the Sept. 4 issue of [i]Annals of Internal Medicine.

I'm guessing it's what you eat, not whether it's from a health food store or not.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: ccan only quote a snippet and give link
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 AM

35,510 posts, read 64,776,237 times
Not eating residual chemicals is a good start. I wouldn't think most people choose organic foods because they believe those foods to be more nutritionally sound; instead, they choose organic foods because they object to the chemicals that are used in raising them.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM

523 posts, read 3,597,314 times
the biggest benefit to organic food (particularly meat) is the taste - there is simply no comparison to more intensively farmed produce.

any health benefit is a bonus.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 AM

17,470 posts, read 35,378,130 times
I buy organic milk because it stays fresh 3x as long. No waste saves me $$.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,729,263 times
I think there is a big difference between the organic produce in the local markets (that often is from other states) and the organic local produce from the farmer down the road (which is what we are able to get) - picked the day before or the same day that you buy it - not perfect looking but great tasting (no pesticides and not genetically engineered as much of the corn in the markets is). I had some summer squash the other day that was picked by a local farmer while I watched - we ate it for dinner that night - it tastes nothing like what is sold in the markets - it was absolutely delicious.

If you know and trust your local source for organic produce, meat and dairy I do believe it is far better that anything you can buy at the chain grocery stores.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM

559 posts, read 1,260,883 times
When people buy organic foods what they're often looking for is food grown or raised without, or with fewer, pesticides or hormones.

Sometimes there is a difference in nutrition though. Just yesterday I was buying eggs, annd I saw the organic eggs have less cholesterol than the conventional eggs.

There's sometimes a difference in taste too, as mentioned above.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM

3,328 posts, read 4,594,420 times
The key term here is 'Hack Scientist'. Hack Scientists tell us that Sugar is good for you, and that there is no such thing as getting Hypoglycemia from ingesting Sugar. Hack Scientists tell us that the trucks and planes spewing poisons for Mosquitoes are delivering 'completely harmless' chemicals. The list is endless. Wealthy entities routinely pay Hack Scientists to discredit ideas which get between wealthy entities and profits. I have inside knowledge of this, from the bad side.

The entry into science, of people whose surnames are the sort traditionally associated with organized crime, seems to have been the turning point. Entire branches of academia are now dominated by people from countries high on the Corruption Index. The corruption map of the world | News | guardian.co.uk I've seen them cheating, grade-grubbing, and sabotaging other students in school. To expect that they would suddenly become honest upon getting their 'real jobs' would be absurd.

I'm not saying that all, or even most, scientists from corrupt places and cultures become Hacks. And I am not saying that the scientists and scientific writers involved in this 'study' are necessarily Hacks. But when 'surprising' results come from 'studies', I think that consideration of who is doing the 'studying' is a rational component of one's own analysis of the 'study'.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 13 days ago)

55,795 posts, read 44,183,850 times
Should You Buy Organic? Study Complicates Decision | FOX2now.com

As this article clearly points out - and as pointed out by other posters on this thread - one of the main reasons people buy organic foods is to avoid pesticides/chemicals/additives/added hormones, etc that are added to so many foods today.

This is the reason I buy organic foods -that and the fact that they taste so much better.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

2,728 posts, read 4,758,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Should You Buy Organic? Study Complicates Decision | FOX2now.com

As this article clearly points out - and as pointed out by other posters on this thread - one of the main reasons people buy organic foods is to avoid pesticides/chemicals/additives/added hormones, etc that are added to so many foods today.

This is the reason I buy organic foods -that and the fact that they taste so much better.
This is all good and fine, but organic foods DO have chemicals on/in them. It's just that they're "natural" chemicals as opposed to "synthetic" chemicals.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,729,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
This is all good and fine, but organic foods DO have chemicals on/in them. It's just that they're "natural" chemicals as opposed to "synthetic" chemicals.
Please show us your survey of all the organic farmers in the U.S. - I'm interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness